1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Ivwri

Ivwri Well-Known Member

True that. All I would probably ask for is a Yohji autograph to go over the one in the blazers already, hehe.

Well, hopefully they won't need to dumb down their buys much more as Yohji seems to be gaining a little bit of traction (unless all the online shops that are stocking his stuff are being bought out by the people on this thread, lol).

My best of has had to wait, again! I am not in Nigeria at the moment (back in Gambia for work, getting to a critical stage so I need to be around until stuff takes off) so won't be able to complete that (want to actually put outfits together incorporating the pieces) until next week, but I have not forgotten :D

2. Ivwri

Ivwri Well-Known Member

Lol, wha..? :embar:

When did that happen?

EDIT - Ah I see! Thanks for the nomination p4. Thought they had passed on it and were looking for other nominations. Anyway, just to echo cupper's comments. Thanks for making this a great thread everyone and for all the contributions. I can't even keep up any more. lol

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  3. davidlee388

davidlee388 Well-Known Member

Thanks to the inspired efforts by Shah, Kiko and Parker in pairing the wide silhouette of the Hakamas with a slim (ish) blazer/blouson. I am intrigued to see if it works in person ( also taking a leaf out of the SS04 book ). Back to the all-black :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

YYPH SS04 Look 24 String Lapel Blazer ( HZ-J25-100 ) 100% wool gab, 4 horn button DB closure, peak lapels, narrow buttonless sleeves, half-body & sleeves lined in cupro, quite slim size 2 silhouette but very comfortable, no small armhole syndrome from recent seasons. The left lapel can be fastened to right front panel for a stand collar look via string through 14 holes. Very dramatic and versatile too. The string lapel, buttonless sleeves and patch pockets are the Yohji twists to tone down the formality of a DB jacket. Goes well with the voluminous Hakamas imo, creating a great contrast.

YYPH SS12 Look 39 Type 2 Hakama Pants ( HB-P13-010 ), a basic black SS Tee and Y-3 black leather Hejacklack Hi-top sneakers.

Does it work? Hope so....

11 people like this.
  4. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

looks great to me. that string blazer = so cool.

5. JunyaYamamoto

JunyaYamamoto Well-Known Member

Sup yall. Just wanted to introduce myself as I'm new to the site, but I've been a lurker for quite some time now. As you can tell from my name, one of my favorite designers is YY, and I hope to read this thread in its entirety by the end of this year, wish me luck!

I have a question about Coming Soon. Is that line (apparently defunct now from what I've read here) designed by Yamamoto or did he just put his name on it? I have a ton of CS pants b/c I love the looser feel and cut, and other than buttons falling off every now and then, the quality seems pretty good. But I know CS isn't regarded too well here amongst the cognescenti, so I wonder if I'm missing something? From the way the pants fit me, I *do* think YY has some input in the design. Am I right?

1 person likes this.
  6. Ivwri

Ivwri Well-Known Member

Bloody hell, that blazer! :slayer:. Going from the first picture to the last one was like Clark Kent -> Superman. Look definitely works.

7. davidlee388

Cheers, you were one of three that inspired me :nodding:

8. davidlee388

Ivwri, I told you this in a PM, the seller didn't realise it's a runway piece and I took it off him for a relative bargain. Whilst not at all practical doing the " Superman " look :slayer: it is nevertheless very thematic. Yohji needs to come back and do all these inspiring details to complement the inspiring fabrics he uses nowadays.

9. davidlee388

Welcome to this thread! Hope you like what you see sofar :) We are all light-minded people sharing the same passion/interest/curiosity for the dress maker Yohji Yamamoto. Ivwri really deserves a BIG pad on the back for starting this whole thing. Well it got me writing and posting pics ( I'm normally very private/reserved lol ).....

As for CS, I have absolutely no problem wearing it, I have a few Tees, pants and a blouson. The stuff is made in Italy so no problem for quality IMO. It definitely has the spirit of YY silhouette wise, whether he has any direct input is debatable ( the same can be said about the WHOLE PH & Femme collections ). I regard CS as YY Streetwear, whereas Y-3 ( which I love as well ) is YY Sportswear. CS ( & Y-3 ) can definitely be integrated into a Yohji wardrobe ( sometimes I find it pointless buying a simple YYPH/Y's Tee or pants when I can buy a CS one for a fraction of the cost ). Just see how well Parker can wear CS with YY.

Of course in the end you will probably be tempted to turn to the Dark Side and succumb to the Yohji spell haha .....

10. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

Most of the Coming Soon items I've seen in person have been at discounters and so it's possible that they weren't the best representation of the brand. They were probably leftovers that nobody wanted, and so what I saw I didn't like much. The fabrics were just ok. But Parker wears it so well that I've decided to give the line another try. I even just ordered a CS blazer off Yoox. As for whether Yohji has a hand in designing it, I have no idea, but I would be surprised if he did.

11. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Well-Known Member

The quality of the blazers is actually pretty nice, provided the cut works for you.

12. asobu

asobu Well-Known Member

I love this longer jacket, I also found the tab closure detail at the neck very interesting as it's almost exactly the same as on my ss99 jacket (so, the previous spring season). I wonder how often design details like this were iterated from the mainline into y's (or vice versa?). Besides this detail my jacket is completely different though. I love the length here, especially in that walking shot

Touching on CS and whether Yohji had any hand in designing any of it (I haven't seen much CS in person so I can't comment on the line, unfortunately)

This is what Runner on TFS said of the last Y's collection (women's):

thought this was an interesting comment

great jacket David! ss04 is indeed incredible

13. davidlee388

The tab closure for the lapels IS present on a SS12 linen blazer I tried on in Conduit Street. Very old school yohji cut, the only blazer in the store that fitted me comfortably in size 2 BTW.

Yes SS04 is pretty awesome indeed. Sadly not many show up in auctions. Mine is an accidental find :)

14. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Well-Known Member

ill just echo this :)

15. JunyaYamamoto

JunyaYamamoto Well-Known Member

thanks for the welcome. i have joined the dark side kinda... i have a few YYPH pieces which i covet, but i find myself wearing CS on a more regular basis. lets face it, the clothes arent cheap, so I try to increase the shelf life by wearing them less often. for instance, a YY tank top that costs as much as a flat screen tv? c'mon!

Quote: i've never seen any Coming Soon clothes in stores. i must be shopping in the wrong places. but i tend to buy it off websites because i know i fit a size 36, which im normally a 38. everything's oversized, which I hope you took into account when you ordered that blazer.

16. dantebykiko

dantebykiko Well-Known Member

i took the new jackets for a spin. i had to mock up the fits as my phone it's useless. also bought two new things... the look 31 hakamas and this jumper which i missed from comma but the winner resold it for lower price. anyone has photos of this collection?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ss 01 bomber, aw 09 long knit, self-made cover pants, aw 08 boots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ss 06 coat, aw 02 shirt+waistcoat (used to be white but i've dyed it), aw 97 trousers, y's wallet chain, cdgt boots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  17. Broder

Broder Well-Known Member

I just want to thank all the posters in this thread - the inspiration, aspirations and knowledge you all spread are invaluable (or at least very highly valued)! I hope I will be able to contribute to this thread in the future, at least in some little way.

I would like to know this as well. Anyone got a source for vintage silk hakamas (preferably black)?

18. davidlee388

Cheers.

Some day Superman >> Skull Man ( hint hint :slayer: )

19. dantebykiko

dantebykiko Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  20. davidlee388

Like I said earlier Kiko, I'm intrigued by the SS06 coat, interesting details, amazing construction no doubt.