1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Yet more shoes questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Dec 14, 2004.

1. demeis

demeis Well-Known Member

1) whats the difference between shoe cream and polish?
    2) I know i should polish my shoes when i get them, does it matter if i use shoe cream or shoe polish?
    3) How does shoe wax that i keep hearing about fit into this whole picture.
    4) DO you recommend cleaning shoe brushes and clothes or just buyin new ones?

Sorry if i sound so ignorant but i just starting buying decent shoes and i want them to last and i'm not quite sure how to fully take care of them and i can't find the posts the i remember vaguely hearing about this stuff in.

2. smartie_addict

smartie_addict Active Member

Please, please, please: search first. There are many, many, many (you get the point) threads on care ofr beautiful shoes. I actually spent the better part of my morning reading them all. My favorite linked to this ask andy page: Perfect shoeshine

3. smartie_addict

4. smartie_addict

5. Renault78law

Renault78law Well-Known Member

polish and wax are the same thing. they put a protective layer between the elements and the leather.

cream is used to nourish and rejuvinate the color of the leather.

when you get new shoes, it's a good idea to add a layer or two of polish. but it's not absolutely necessary. cream is not needed unless the leather is particularly dry, eg very old stock.

i don't wash my rags, I just throw them away. i use old t-shirts or socks...any rag I can find.