1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Yay or nay on this Belstaff jacket.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by MilanoStyle, Jan 10, 2008.

1. benecios

benecios Well-Known Member

I have this jacket in the dark brown (Belstaff calls this blackbrown) and it is amazing.I have never had an item of clothing that has received so many positive comments.I have had it around 2 months and the room in which it hangs still has that lovely leather smell.
    As for the "replica leather" I don't know what they mean by this myself but it is real leather for definite.

2. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Well-Known Member

Man I got mine at a killer deal and it's waiting to be altered; I had to shorten sleeves from the shoulders. I got mine in dark brown as well. The store also had the jacket in Edwardian, which also looked fantastic! I was told by my sales person that "replica leather" means that aged leather which replicates the original Belstaff jacket leather, from early 19th century.
    I have this jacket in the dark brown (Belstaff calls this blackbrown) and it is amazing.I have never had an item of clothing that has received so many positive comments.I have had it around 2 months and the room in which it hangs still has that lovely leather smell. As for the "replica leather" I don't know what they mean by this myself but it is real leather for definite.

3. bant

bant Well-Known Member

Man I got mine at a killer deal and it's waiting to be altered; I had to shorten sleeves from the shoulders. I got mine in dark brown as well. The store also had the jacket in Edwardian, which also looked fantastic! I was told by my sales person that "replica leather" means that aged leather which replicates the original Belstaff jacket leather, from early 19th century.

Where did you buy & for how much if you don't mind me asking?

4. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

I have the Panther in Black / Brown and despite their ridiculous pricing they are the best at what they do. I tried the Schott but it was no where near the Belstaff so I sucked it up and got one. The black / brown which is probably what this is in the real world looks even better than said photos. You will recieve compliments because they have mastered their antiquing process. I hate to say but this is one case where I would accept no substitutes. I have a Belstaff Howard coming and the other two jackets I like by them are: 1. The cougar in Antique Cuero? 2. The racer. I've seen a two-tone of the cougar with darker sleeves and lighter body that looked pretty cool also.

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

That "Brad" jacket is awesome. Looks like the retail at most sites is around $1300-1400...expensive but not too bad for a good quality leather jacket. It sounds like you got for less? You'll have to post some fit pics after getting it.

6. MilanoStyle

Yea, I've always felt that I paid too much for anything that I buy from a retail store, but not this time. Once I get the jacket back with my new R&R jeans, I'll post some pics.
    That "Brad" jacket is awesome. Looks like the retail at most sites is around $1300-1400...expensive but not too bad for a good quality leather jacket. It sounds like you got for less? You'll have to post some fit pics after getting it.

7. MilanoStyle

Even after the alteration, the sleeves look .5 inch too long, but what the heck. Other that, the fit of this jacket is sweet!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Arethusa

Arethusa Well-Known Member

The sleeves are fine. This isn't a suit jacket. Looks damn good.

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

The sleeves are fine. This isn't a suit jacket. Looks damn good.

Agreed. At most, you could take 3/4" off. Any more than that, and it would look plain bad. The only reason you would have sleeves shorter than than would be if you were doing the "shrunken 70's jacket" look, and I don't think that your physique is really suited to paying homage to the decade that muscle tone forgot.

10. Arethusa

Do you have any suggestions for Belstaff alternatives? There are a number of Belstaff jackets I've liked, but they have unbelievably tight control over distribution and they're virtually impossible to get for less than retail. Even at 50% off, they'd be out of reach, but even so, I'm wondering if anyone does similar work for more reasonable prices. Magnoli recently did a repro of the Hero, which looks very good, but it's just one design and not one of the ones that does a whole lot for me.

Shame they're so damn good at what they do.

11. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've just put down a deposit on a Belstaff Brad jacket. It's a truly phenominal jacket!

12. MilanoStyle

I get complements from guys often when wearing it, hmmmm ..

13. chronic

chronic Well-Known Member

Jacket looks awesome. Where can I score one of these in NY? I notice on the website that there's a showroom in Soho...how's that different from a regular store?

gawk, Milano, where'd you get yours?

14. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

Do you have any suggestions for Belstaff alternatives? There are a number of Belstaff jackets I've liked, but they have unbelievably tight control over distribution and they're virtually impossible to get for less than retail. Even at 50% off, they'd be out of reach, but even so, I'm wondering if anyone does similar work for more reasonable prices. Magnoli recently did a repro of the Hero, which looks very good, but it's just one design and not one of the ones that does a whole lot for me.

Shame they're so damn good at what they do.

Old question I know, but which models were you looking at?

15. Arethusa

I think the main two things I was looking for were the Legend Roadmaster and the large Colonial bag, though I've just about given up on that. I guess more recently, the Hero design sort of grew on me a little, I liked their take on the Indy jacket, and the super-faux-vintage 1943 Roadmaster was a lot cooler than I expected. There've been a few other designs that caught my attention (Panther, Cougar, variations on the Roadmaster, really), but I think Belstaff prices have gone up at least 50% since I posted that and I'm still a student, so I'll just go with a Knight of Infinite Resignation.

16. Britalian

Britalian Well-Known Member

Yea!
    I picked up a Belstaff Gangster blouson in their sale at 40% off Excellent quality.

17. esspee1200

esspee1200 Well-Known Member

18. gawkrodger

gawk, Milano, where'd you get yours?

I live in the UK so doubt my sources will be of much help!

19. gawkrodger

I think the main two things I was looking for were the Legend Roadmaster .

If you keep an eye peeled on ebay, vintage shops and car booties (at least in the uk) you can pick up old trailmaster and roadmaster jackets for substantially less than you'd pay at retail

20. chronic

chronic Well-Known Member

I live in the UK so doubt my sources will be of much help!

aww man [​IMG]

Yea!
    I picked up a Belstaff Gangster blouson in their sale at 40% off Excellent quality.

I was looking at the gangster as well. I'm assuming you're either in Britain or Italy, given your handle.

Anybody who can help w/ stores in the US?