• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

www.tailorstore.com - anyone try ordering any of their $40 MTM shirts?

Confucius

Reaction score
I ordered a plain white shirt last night using the measurements of my favourite shirt. I was quite impressed that they gave a guide of various measurement ranges based on the neck size you enter (e.g. width should be between X and Y for 39 neck). Makes it even more idiot proof.

I also scored some free cufflinks, which is a deal they have at the moment if you order a french cuff. Cheap, crappy cufflinks but hey they're free.

TurboTropic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Confucius
I ordered a plain white shirt last night using the measurements of my favourite shirt. I was quite impressed that they gave a guide of various measurement ranges based on the neck size you enter (e.g. width should be between X and Y for 39 neck). Makes it even more idiot proof.

I also scored some free cufflinks, which is a deal they have at the moment if you order a french cuff. Cheap, crappy cufflinks but hey they're free.

So your order went through OK? Anyone else order this weekend? I still get an internet error page.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TurboTropic
So your order went through OK? Anyone else order this weekend? I still get an internet error page.

mine went through 2 or 3 weeks ago. right now it's at the awaiting distribution stage, so i should have mine this week... hopefully.

Confucius

Reaction score

Yup it did eventually. I had to sign up to some buyer protection system that was required by my credit card/bank, but after that it all worked fine.

I can't wait 3 weeks to get my shirt.

TurboTropic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Confucius
Yup it did eventually. I had to sign up to some buyer protection system that was required by my credit card/bank, but after that it all worked fine.

I can't wait 3 weeks to get my shirt.

For me, in Canada, I just kept getting an error with "Firefox can't find the server at secure.telluspay.com". I eventually tried the PayPal option which worked but it cost me 4% more. Not a huge amount but annoying nonetheless.

No I'm looking forward to my first ever MTM shirt - white popline, slim fit, cutaway collar, with rounded french cuffs.

Confucius

Reaction score
Ha that's almost exactly what I got. Did you get the free cufflinks?

I ordered a Jantzen but have given up hope of ever receiving it. This site is probably my last hope of getting affordable MTM shirts.

TurboTropic

Reaction score
Yep, grabbed the St. George Cross (England flag) cufflinks and also picked up fabric swatches of seven styles that caught my eye.

TurboTropic

Reaction score
TurboTropic;548875 said:
For me, in Canada, I just kept getting an error with "Firefox can't find the server at secure.telluspay.com". I eventually tried the PayPal option which worked but it cost me 4% more. Not a huge amount but annoying nonetheless.
I received a couple of emails from a very nice guy (Denis) at Tailor Store. He's putting things right by crediting me the PayPal charge. He explained that their payment intermediary is having problems with VISA payments in US dollars if the cards are not "certified by VISA". They are trying to resolve this ASAP.

I can't complain about the service!

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, that was a disaster.

the shirt basically fits everywhere except in the sleeves. Not sure how that happened, but I suspect it was a combination of the measurements being based on a shirt that fits, rather than my actual measurements, plus the selection of the "slim sleeve" option. That resulted in a rather nice shirt designed for somebody with 12 inch arms. Unfortunately, I have 15 inch arms. It seems the program took my previous shirt, which fit fine, and then slimmed it down through the fitted shirt option, and again through the slim sleeve option.

Moral of the story - sometimes selecting too many "slimming" options can lead to way too much slimming.

other comments -

1) the collar stiffeners, which cannot be removed, are quite crappy and flimsy.
2) the fabric (the purple herringbone) is quite nice.
3) the buttons are okay, for plastic buttons.

conclusion - i'll probably stick with lands' end for the time being. if i ever did tailorstore again, i'll create a profile that is based on my actual measurements, not my other shirts. Or I would just select standard fit and use the other

TurboTropic

Reaction score
No, please don't say that...I went with the slimfit and slim sleeve options too and my arms are about 15", maybe bigger. I too measured a slimfit shirt (Hugo Boss).

What necksize are you? I'm 17.5 so I'm hoping that will cause the "slimfit recalculation" to be OK.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, please don't say that...I went with the slimfit and slim sleeve options too and my arms are about 15", maybe bigger. I too measured a slimfit shirt (Hugo Boss).

What necksize are you? I'm 17.5 so I'm hoping that will cause the "slimfit recalculation" to be OK.

yeah, that's not gonna be good....

i think that if you are giving them shirt measurements, you needed to keep everything else neutral, and don't select the slim fit options. given my experiences, i'm pretty sure that those options should only be selected if you are using body measurements, since the shirt will not be tighter than the body measurements.

also, the program needs to at a bicep/upper arm measurement.

Clark

Reaction score
I measured a shirt and also clicked the slim fit boxes. It says in the help text that they ignore such things if you take measurements from an existing shirt. Mine came out just according to the measurements.

If the shirt isn't correct you should just return it, I'm sure they will refund it.

/C

TurboTropic

Reaction score
NoVaguy,

Can you post your profile shirt measurements please?

Here's mine:

Collar size 17.5 Inches
Chest width 25 Inches
Waist width 22 Inches
Bottom width 23.5 Inches
Shirt length 30 Inches
Sleeve length 26 Inches
Back width 19.5 Inches
Armpit width 11 Inches
Cuff width 9.5 Inches

I'm 6', wear a 44R suit, and have a 34" waist.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NoVaguy,

Can you post your profile shirt measurements please?

Here's mine:

Collar size 17.5 Inches
Chest width 25 Inches
Waist width 22 Inches
Bottom width 23.5 Inches
Shirt length 30 Inches
Sleeve length 26 Inches
Back width 19.5 Inches
Armpit width 11 Inches
Cuff width 9.5 Inches

I'm 6', wear a 44R suit, and have a 34" waist.

Collar size 16 Inches
Chest width 23.5 Inches
Waist width 21.5 Inches
Bottom width 22 Inches
Shirt length 30.5 Inches
Sleeve length 27 Inches
Back width 19 Inches
Armpit width 9.5 Inches
Cuff width 8.5 Inches

I wear a 42L and have a 36 inch waist. Yes, my wrist is that thin, but my upper arm is about 15 inches around - possibly the combination of the thin wrist armpit confused the software into thinking my upper arm was about 12 inches around?

The body of the shirt is fine - possibly 1/4 too wide in the shoulders - or maybe thats because it can't move due to the sleeve tightness. it's quite a weird look.

CoryB

Reaction score
How long after it was "sent" did you guys receive your shirt? Mine is showing as having been sent last Tuesday. I am assuming the distribution center is within Canada therefore it should be a four or five days at maximum. The fabric swatch book arrived quickly so I know the addressing information is correct.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads