1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

www.tailorstore.com - anyone try ordering any of their $40 MTM shirts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PatriotsFan, May 3, 2007.

1. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Too bad about the non-removable stays, they were looking like a promising alternative to Jantzen.

Just order button downs. [​IMG]

2. CoryB

CoryB Well-Known Member

If several us email them asking about removable stays they will probably add that option. This looks like a newcomer to the online field and if several of their first emails mention a feature they will likely accomodate.

3. Etienne

Etienne Well-Known Member

I think it can be stated that Jantzen is the best that can be had (at the pricepoint) if you can deal the customer service; I am not willing to.
    Indeed, but the problem to me is a worrysome evolution. I ordered 5 shirts from Jantzen. #1 took a little more than a month to come, #2 took a month and a half, #3 took 2 months, #4 took 3 months, #5 has been ordered 4 months ago now, and is still not there.

4. water

water Well-Known Member

I had given up on Jantzen after ordering a number of shirts from them but never seeming to get it "right". Recently, I was looking in my closet, thought "why not" and decided to give it one more try. This time I sent pictures as well as measurements. Ricky e-mailed to tell me that they are currently working through a huge backorder. No doubt the ever growing pile of orders is the cause for the many delays; that and the fact that organization does not seem to be Jantzen's strong point. Nevertheless, I am really hoping this order turns out good. In the meantime, everyone should e-mail tailorstore.com and ask for removable collar stays. And mother of pearl buttons. And split yokes. [​IMG]

5. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Well-Known Member

Too bad about the non-removable stays, they were looking like a promising alternative to Jantzen.

i don't think this would be a big deal, but then, i wash and iron my shirts myself. just wash cold and be careful when laundering.

i might just order one next week.

and one of these days i will try to send something in to janzten......

6. The Swede

The Swede Well-Known Member

I've had a shirt ordered from tailorshirt. The quality is pretty good considering the price. My primary complaint is the collar, the "classic" option is very pointy and long, giving a somewhat mafioso vibe to it. Here is a swedish fashion forum thread concerning their shirts. Most of you will not understand what everyone is saying but there are a lot of pictures within.

http://www.manligt.net/viewtopic.php...=asc&start=450

7. CoryB

CoryB Well-Known Member

I've had a shirt ordered from tailorshirt. The quality is pretty good considering the price. My primary complaint is the collar, the "classic" option is very pointy and long, giving a somewhat mafioso vibe to it. Here is a swedish fashion forum thread concerning their shirts. Most of you will not understand what everyone is saying but there are a lot of pictures within.

http://www.manligt.net/viewtopic.php...=asc&start=450

Can anyone give a quick run though of the opinion from that site. I tried running an online translation, but other than some humour the result wasn't very good. Is there agreement that the measurements are accurate to the product, etc? Some of the pictures look good while some look bad, but I suspect that is fit choice and measurements.

8. PatriotsFan

PatriotsFan Well-Known Member

I just placed an order using Paypal - will post an update when the shirt arrives!

Total Charges came out to $57.20, using their "Superior" Sienna Pinpoint fabric. [​IMG]

9. Confucius

Confucius Well-Known Member

I've had a shirt ordered from tailorshirt. The quality is pretty good considering the price. My primary complaint is the collar, the "classic" option is very pointy and long, giving a somewhat mafioso vibe to it.

This was one of my concerns when looking at the site. I might go for the cut-away if that's the case.

Also a bit disappointed about the non-removable collar stays. I might still give them a crack once I've paid off this month's CC bill!

10. The Swede

The Swede Well-Known Member

Can anyone give a quick run though of the opinion from that site. I tried running an online translation, but other than some humour the result wasn't very good. Is there agreement that the measurements are accurate to the product, etc? Some of the pictures look good while some look bad, but I suspect that is fit choice and measurements.

You can either use measurements from a favorite shirt or from your body. The consensus from the users of the Swedish site (and me) is that you probably need to order at least three shirts before everything is perfect. Seeing as the price is low this is pretty ok. My first shirt was actually quite decent, the collar and cuffs were both to big however. During each stage of the measuring process there are pictures and tips on how large the measurements usually are so you do not go completely off base. Some people complained about receiving shirts not corresponding to their measurements. As I have understood, tailorshirts has pretty good customer service, they probably will not change your shirt but they will give you the next one free.

My problem with them is, as I specified before, their collars.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

11. PatriotsFan

PatriotsFan Well-Known Member

Have you tried using the option:"When making the shirt, adjust my measurements for possible shrinkage."

How much of an effect does picking this option have on the shirt's measurements? Do you think not selecting this option may make it easier to adjust future measurements?

12. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

I sent them an email requesting removable collar stays and MOP buttons and got this prompt and polite response:
    Thanks for showing interest in our products. Currently we do not offer these options, but we will add them at a later stage. Hope you can make your first purchase based on our current offering!
    The site looks great, but the stays are a deal-breaker for me. Has anyone ever tried cutting out enclosed stays?

13. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Well-Known Member

do not attempt to cut out non-removable collar stays. they are often stitched into place.

Carl

14. stickonatree

stickonatree Well-Known Member

does anyone have experience in whether it's more accurate to use body measurements the first time, or shirt measurements? i'm on the short side (5'6"), and most of my shirts fit a little bit large on me, although i could take into account those certain measurements and just subtract them in the final calculations...

15. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

although i could take into account those certain measurements and just subtract them in the final calculations...
    Thats what I did - the shirt I copied measurements on is a little too tight in the chest and waist for a business dress shirt - so I simply added an inch and a half to those areas on the form.

16. stickonatree

stickonatree Well-Known Member

Thats what I did - the shirt I copied measurements on is a little too tight in the chest and waist for a business dress shirt - so I simply added an inch and a half to those areas on the form.

ahh, i see. mind sharing any pictures? [​IMG]

17. blank

blank Well-Known Member

Any update here? I'm curious!

18. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Well-Known Member

mine are "in production". i got the purple herringbone fabric, and used the measurements of a lands end custom shirt, and made it slightly slimmer. we'll see how it goes.

19. kbuzz

kbuzz Well-Known Member

Novaguy

keep us in the loop please....

20. CoryB

CoryB Well-Known Member

I went with the Elo white fabric; mine is "Produced" so hopefully it will arrive in a week or two.