1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

www.ehaberdasher.com - affiliate page

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Jun 24, 2008.

Tags:
  1. eHaberdasher

eHaberdasher Well-Known Member

May have to wait until tomorrow or Monday - they're pretty busy in the warehouse right now... any particular shirt? Please provide link...

2. katabatic

katabatic Well-Known Member

Hot. Damn.

3. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's pretty nice right there, not gonna lie.

4. eHaberdasher

Here are a few more... these will finally be available on the US site later today!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Thinking about taking the plunge on a Benjamin tuxedo. Anybody have experience with it? Any pics of people wearing it?

Ben, also have a question for you about the tuxedos you carry.

I noticed that the BOC is roughly 29' on the 38R/40R models. I usually wear 38R/40R with a BOC of 30' to 30.5'. Would you recommend sizing up to an L? Or would that ruin the intended aesthetic of the suit? (i.e. silhouette, button stance).

Also, how agressive is the silhouette?

Thanks guys!

6. StephenB

StephenB Well-Known Member

I'm happy with my Benjamin. The pants are a bit slim but I may be unique to me in that I have larger legs and butt due to hockey.

The overall silhouette is very close to a BB Fitzgerald but the jacket is a bit shorter.

7. eHaberdasher

Silhouette of the tux isn't super agressive - it's slim like the rest of the Sartorial line, but it's not super slim. How tall are you? I'm just a hair over 5'10" and the 38R more than covers my seat. If you are regularly proportioned (torso to lower half of your body) and if you're 5'11" or under I would strongly recommend the R as a general rule.

8. eHaberdasher

But trousers for the tuxedo are particularly slim... when I cut new tuxedos again soon I will make the trousers more forgiving in the waist/seat/thighs.

9. eHaberdasher

1 person likes this.
  10. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

11. thisfits

thisfits Well-Known Member

That's a bit harsh. There's no way as a 38S that I'd wear a 30.25" length jacket. It's on the high-end of R, certainly not R/S.

12. othertravel

This is why I asked about sizing. The R sizes resemble S', and the Ls resemble Rs.

Might just order the L as I generally don't like shorter jackets.

13. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

Hmm, not really. Not for my size, at least. 43R/44R is 30" from bottom of collar. That's exactly what I would expect it to be.

Are you abnormally thin for your height? :confused:

14. othertravel

I'm talking about the boc measurement on the tuxedos. The boc on a 38r Benjamin tux is around 28'.

I usually wear jackets with a boc of 30 or 30.5', which I find is a more traditional/conservative length. I've seen some Caruso suits in 38R with 29' BOC, but not 28'.

Either way, I'm tempted to buy one from Ben. They're a great value.

15. eHaberdasher

othertravel I'm not sure where you see 28" BOC on the 38R - it says/is 29".

Current trends are definitely shorter than perhaps a "classic" length. The Benjamin line is designed such that it still completely covers the seat, which to me is sufficient in length. Some people prefer a longer skirt - I personally do not and thus design the clothing as such. Like any designer, my clothing is not for everyone. That being said I do appreciate everyone's input whether positive or constructive.

16. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

Ideally:

38S is like 29
    38R is like 30.5
    38L is like 31.5

I'd save give half an inch for a more conservative length. Take half an inch for a more "modern" length.

17. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

That seems a little on the long side for a 38. The measurements for the L and R you gave are consistent with what I tend to see in 42's.

18. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Well-Known Member

Shucks.

Do you think it would be permissable to buy a navy suit and turn the jacket into an odd jacket by changing the buttons (to a brown or smoky gray horn)?

I need a new navy sportcoat and the Benjamin fit is just perfect for me.

19. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

I've done it more than once....

20. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

My opinion is that if the material has some texture to it (something like hopsack, birdseye or nailhead), the shoulders aren't too structured, and you change the buttons to mid brown horn, it would probably be acceptable to wear it alone as an odd jacket. Definitely wouldn't do this if it was a smooth worsted wool, though. Also, I strongly prefer patch pockets (hip) for an odd jacket, but there are plenty of sport coats with flap pockets.