1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

WTF ? Racial discrimination of Dolce & Gabbana in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jameschan, Jan 8, 2012.

1. jameschan

jameschan New Member

http://www.news.com.au/business/pro...n-on-photography/story-e6frfm1i-1226239375370

http://video.repubblica.it/mondo/ho...bana-per-il-divieto-di-fotografia/85234/83623

Please have a look on this news, it's so funny that D&G in Hong Kong does not allow Hong Kong people to take photos of its store, just spread this news out, let people know how shxt D&G is !

On 5 January 2012, Hong Kong newspaper Apple Daily reported that Hong Kong citizens are banned from taking pictures of any Dolce & Gabbana window displays in both Central and Harbour City. In the case of Dolce & Gabbana at Harbour City, store staff and security personnel both indicated the public space on Canton Road as private property. All pedestrians that used the sidewalk were subjected to the photo 'ban' set forth by Dolce & Gabbana, with the exception of tourists from mainland China being specially exempt without justification.This double standard caused immediate outrage amongst local citizens, sparking protests with international news coverage on 8 Jan 2012.

Dolce & Gabbana HK representatives claim the ban was to protect their intellectual property rights and prevent plagiarism of their products.[18] Hong Kong lawyers state that Dolce & Gabbana's explanation does not have legal basis, and their privatization of public areas is infringement of public access. Current Chairman of the Hong Kong Tourism Board, Mr. James Tien, also openly criticized Dolce & Gabbana and encouraged those who have been racially discriminated to report to the authorities.[19] During the same time, Dolce & Gabbana was reported to have hired additional security personnel, one of whom was caught displaying physical aggression towards a reporter, "Don't be surprised, I will break this camera. [...] Don't take Photos, For the last time, I will break this camera" whilst covering the lens, sparking further controversy.

While Dolce & Gabbana continuously refused to comment and locked down store fronts, Harbour City and an outsourced security firm have both issued public apologies regarding the "reckless actions" of their employees. Currently, both statements indicate all assigned security personnel were following directions as requested by the Dolce & Gabbana store. Dolce & Gabbana released their first public statement late in the evening of 8 January 2012, insisting their intention was not to offend, and the controversies were not caused by Dolce & Gabbana employees.

The discriminatory action of Dolce & Gabbana towards Hong Kong locals would constitute infringement of Race Discrimination Ordinance (Chapter 602, Hong Kong Laws)

2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Why would anyone want to take pictures of garbage?

3. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

We're not exacty talking rocket desjgn in that case....

Pictures of their products are everywhere , especially in clueless fashion articles.

4. jameschan

jameschan New Member

maybe people just want to take photos randomly, but were stopped by D&G staff

a newspaper reporter was then also tried to take photo and was prevented by D&G staff saying that we had no right to take photos, which in fact is totally not true, in Hong Kong, we have right to take photos of anyone in public area.

you can watch the video record by the reporter

http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/templ...p?iss_id=20120105&sec_id=4104&art_id=15954668

5. curzon

curzon Well-Known Member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti
    Racial discrimination? Eh?

"All pedestrians that used the sidewalk were subjected to the photo 'ban' set forth by Dolce & Gabbana, with the exception of tourists from mainland China being specially exempt without justification.This double standard caused immediate outrage amongst local citizens, sparking protests with international news coverage on 8 Jan 2012."

Are the tourists from mainland China racially different from the Hongkies? If not, how then is this racial dicrimination?

Anyway, if it's indeed public space, and photos in such space are permitted by the gov't, then D&G infringes the rights of... get ready for it... all.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  6. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Well-Known Member

Get a grip.

And/or call Oprah.

7. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

She is too mentally distraught after her fight with Hermes in Paris.

8. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

wow! racial discrimination in hong kong. who would've thought??!!!! :plain:

9. deburn

deburn Well-Known Member

Looks like the OP joined this forum just to post this link - wondering why he would do that...

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Did they yell at the customers and tell them "no browsing! you buy or get out?"

Did the photographer buy something and the receipt read "lady chinky eyes"?

:rimshot:

Thank you, I'll be here all night.

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Very well played! :worship:

12. acidboy

1. he works for apple daily and they need the traffic
    2. he likes it, the d&g eurotrash look

13. Derek Leung

Derek Leung New Member

Well actually, "racial discrimination" does not simply mean the discrimination of a "race" as you suggest.

In reality, the UN officially defines racial discrimination as any form of distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference that is based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin. Hong Kongers are usually related to as "Hong Kong Chinese", "Hong Kong British" etc as their nationality, not simply "Chinese". I understand it is an awkward situation, but considering the awkward circumstances that Hong Kong has (being a SAR in China), there's not much to say about it.

So, in other words, this Dolce & Gabbana case does in fact count as racial discrimination.

14. acidboy

^ obvious sock puppets! :slayer:

15. Derek Leung

Derek Leung New Member

And what proof do you have to support your claim? [​IMG] If you are a hall monitor, shouldn't you have the ability to see my account is linked to a verified facebook account, seperate from the op?

16. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

My friend told me about this last night, I was flabbergasted. This was on the front page on every newspaper, but since then they allowed HK people to take photos in front of the store. If they hadn't, my plan was to go to the store and try and take a photo, then start speaking mandarin in a beijing accent while squatting and spitting and insisting I was mainland garbage so I would be allowed to take a photo. Pity I won't get to do that.

17. Pantisocrat

Pantisocrat Well-Known Member

I feel bad for HK folks. First colonized by the white men. Now colonized by other Chinese. I can converse a little in Cantonese but you won't believe even in NYC my Cantonese is now scorned. :eek: Mainlanders are everywhere. That little SA biotch at the Louis Vuitton store now doesn't even give me a glance. I need to speak Mandarin to get proper service. What a crazy world.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  18. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Well-Known Member

From the HK Standard, in case you were wondering what was really going on.

"A well-known mainlander, possibly a government official, was reportedly shopping in the store last month when he noticed people outside taking photographs. A complaint was made to D&G because the customer feared netizens would link the shopping spree to corruption. Then D&G instigated the ban. D&G's statement strongly denied making any racist or derogatory comments. "Controversial statements reported in the Hong Kong press have not been made by Dolce & Gabbana nor its staff."

19. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Haha so the mainland garbage official complained because he was afraid people were taking pictures of him spending him bribery money. Of course. :D

20. Derek Leung

Derek Leung New Member

Because of the product quality assurance, currency and tax-free nature of sales in Hong Kong, it has become the place for mainlanders to do their shopping for almost anything you can think of - from clothes and designer bags, to medical supplies and even baby milk powders.

Nowadays, Hong Kong is often referred to as the "all-seeing mirror" by both HK and mainland China locals. The "mirror" is a cultural reference to the legendary Chinese literature piece Journey to the West, which often spoke of a mirror that could help Monkey King tell if a stranger is in fact a demon in disguise, trying to eat the monk's meat for greater magical powers. In the case of Hong Kong, it reflects to the Chinese government which politicians and businessmen are potentially corrupt, spending more than they make. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012