1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Writing Instruments

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Miguel Antonio, Apr 2, 2008.

1. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

The thing is I still have 8 left. And they're supposed to be a little better quality than Pilot, from what I've read at a few fora (and much more expensive too ;)). So I'm a little confused why I have so many problems with them.

I'll definitely look into Pilot refills though.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  2. KlezmerBlues

KlezmerBlues Well-Known Member

I still think it could be a clogging issue. Repeat the advice until it works. If it does not, keep reading. :)

It could be the paper or ink. Some inks doesn't flow as well as others, and many kinds of paper can lead to skipping, due to the paper not turning the ball properly. That it skips one way and not the other could depend on how you apply different pressure when you angle the pen. Do you use the same ink and paper as before? If you do, I can only think a feed problem or that the ink in the refills has dried out. How old are the refills? Some dry out quicker than others. You could always try and dilute the ink or try another refill. The feed can be sensitive of how you put the refill in. If you press it to far, it can lead to not enough ink reaching the ball. But that should not be dependent on which way you write. Try fiddling with the refill, releasing it some.

I guess my main advice to you is to start experimenting. You're not going to break the pen.

If you're okey with phone camera photos (I have no camera in the office), I've snapped some pictures with my Galaxy S3. I try to post them next week. The pictures are quite bad, so no expectations.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

No worries; mine were also snapped with my Iphone and the pens sitting on my desk. So, definitely not a professional job! haha

But, given that this thread probably won't be constantly updated, and give that there aren't many dedicated, informative pen/writing threads, it would be good to put as much as we can on this one while we are all "here" and involved.

Obviously, Fountainpennetwork and such is great, but overwhelming for those just browsing. SF is a place we know, so it's nice to read small threads like this even if the focus of the forum itself isn't directed at that activity (I'd rather read about things here than elsewhere).

4. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

No kidding, that's where I got my ink AD from. bottle after bottle after bottle and finally I broke it off!

5. rach2jlc

Yep, many of the specialty forums are great, but are tough for a casual viewer. Same with basenotes, thefashionspot, etc. You go thinking, "hey, I like pens. Think I'll take a look" and then see 914,000 different posts about everything including technical blueprints for a nib that cost more than your first car.

Like that cologne your sister gave you for Christmas? Hey, basenotes! BOOM! mathematical analyses of the Chanel date code system, a chemical breakdown of synthetic aoud, and a dissection of why 1978 Labdanum is necessarily different from 1979. lol

That's one thing I like about SF; yeah, it's not a "pen" or fragrance or whatever specialty site, but it's what I'm used to, and where I"m comfortable. It's like your neighborhood bar; the beer selection may not be so great, but sometimes having a 143 page menu of selections is just TOO much. :lol:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  6. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

+1. Well stated. :nodding:

7. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Montegrappa

[​IMG]

8. rach2jlc

^Very cool. Not my style, but looks like it would definitely add some flare to any writing experience. sadly, my daily life and pen uses don't seem exciting enough to warrant a red dragon pen. I feel like I would need to be drafting the Laws of Mordor or something... :lol:

Aside from the decorative effects, what's your opinion on Montegrappa? I've never owned one, but am curious about how they write/feel.

9. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

The nib is very smooth.

The pen is heavy. Not something that I'd want to use all day long.

I keep it filled with red ink and use it for marking up documents. Makes it easy to see my mark-ups.

10. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

A couple more. Aurora Optima with an italic nib. Pelikan with medium nib.

[​IMG]

11. rach2jlc

^

Now this one is more my style. Before I read your caption, I saw the picture and said, "Is that a Pelikan in the background?" Thanks for the info re: Montegrappa. Nice collection and well-done pics.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012