1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Would you add darts to a dress shirt ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpallaCamiccia, May 27, 2010.

1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

I really depends on body shape and posture. For some people, the only way to deal with excess cloth in the back without messing up the fit in the front is to add darts.

The posture bit makes sense, I suppose. But I'm glad I don't need them.

2. Mr.K

Mr.K Well-Known Member

If it helps make the shirt fit the way you want then do it.

3. wysiwyg

wysiwyg Well-Known Member

If I had to take in the waist, I'd have them do it from the sides. If my shirt is expensive enough to have hand-finished touches, I wouldn't do it the injustice of adding darts.

4. SpallaCamiccia

SpallaCamiccia Well-Known Member

I have a sport shirt with darts, and every time I iron it, I can't shake the feeling that I'm ironing one of my wife's blouses.

I got some fun ![​IMG]

I really depends on body shape and posture. For some people, the only way to deal with excess cloth in the back without messing up the fit in the front is to add darts.

I usually diminish them, but those are Finamores and won´t like to have the handmade shoulders redone by machine. So should I add darts then ?

5. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

the thing i am curious about the darts is,

if you need to take in a bit of blouse, wouldnt darts alter the line of the front and sides of the shirt?
    like wouldnt it look like your shirt is warped back a bit?

i would think taking in at the side seam would maintain the side profile balance?

6. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Well-Known Member

... specifically, if your drop is larger than average, it is quasi-impossible to create a fitted shirt without darts because there are limits to how curved you can make the side seams; plus, there is the complication of the back being a 3D structure that not only tapers sideways, but inwards (i.e., the z-plane).

in most cases though, one won't need them.

7. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

FWIW, Dege put darts in mine.

- B

8. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Well-Known Member

I have a sport shirt with darts, and every time I iron it, I can't shake the feeling that I'm ironing one of my wife's blouses.

[​IMG]

9. westinghouse

westinghouse Well-Known Member

A good tailor will open up the shirt to remove excess fabric on the sides then restitch with a slightly tapered effect. Runs about $30.

10. Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos Well-Known Member

No. They look feminine, they attract attention, they are a sign of a less competent tailor (in case of bespoke).

Of course, if you never take off your jacket, it doesn't matter.

I'm pretty sure they only look feminine if you're used to seeing sack-shaped clothes designed to hide unappealing bodies.

11. binge

binge Well-Known Member

Don't call 'em darts / say the titties is out.

12. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Some people don't need darts.