1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Worst Current Menswear Looks? And define AmJack?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

What current looks which men in general seem to emulate and wear in Packs, live wolves, that just are wrong?

And what is your definition of AmJack?

2. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

I'm getting sick and tired of those "clubbing" shirts with seizure inducing patterns, personally.

3. Nonk

Nonk Well-Known Member

In the UK hair cuts are at all time low. A sort of bed hair/fin/post modern mullet evil hybrid seems popular. (Extra evilness points are awarded if it is bleached/tipped/dyed in any way.

These hair cuts are especially prevalent among the black polyester suit (with all 3 buttons done up), light tan trainer/ shoe combo wearing fools.

Frayed tee shirts with meaningless slogans are all the rage it seems.

Welders from Stoke running around emblazoned with "San Diego Track Team All stars " or some such nonsense on their chests.

Tattoos and garish jewelry are everywhere.

I can't think of anything else, although I do hate virtually everything I see.

4. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

You sir are well on your way to an ulcer. Tread lightly.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

In the UK hair cuts are at all time low. A sort of bed hair/fin/post modern mullet evil hybrid seems popular. (Extra evilness points are awarded if it is bleached/tipped/dyed in any way.

These hair cuts are especially prevalent among the black polyester suit (with all 3 buttons done up), light tan trainer/ shoe combo wearing fools.

Frayed tee shirts with meaningless slogans are all the rage it seems.

Welders from Stoke running around emblazoned with "San Diego Track Team All stars " or some such nonsense on their chests.

Tattoos and garish jewelry are everywhere.

Is that the haircut that Duncan Quinn favors?

I don't think it looks too bad on him.

6. Nonk

Nonk Well-Known Member

Excuse my ignorance, but I do not know who Duncan Quinn is.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I think he is a British lawyer who also has a sideline for a fashion line:

[​IMG]

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

9. mrchapel

mrchapel Well-Known Member

I grow very tired of square toed shoes as well as shoes that bear the label Steve Madden on them. But I don't blame them; they don't know what it is to be a sartorialist. Which is why it is even more important for us to espouse the virtues of fine dressing -- which is not to say everyone should be purchasing Kiton or Brioni suits, but a good, styled look can be acheived as long as the fit and colors work in tandem.

Also, I'm quite tired of those t-shirts that have the sayings on them; they're just dull and uninspiring.

My definition of an AmJack is any man who chooses Kenneth Cole as their outfitter.

10. Carey

Carey Well-Known Member

Pleated khaki's

Rockport shoes

White trainers with shorts or jeans (especially hienous with elastic waisted khaki shorts or relaxed fit narrow cuffed jeans)

Chopper T's in any shade

Any sleeveless t-shirt anywhere, even the gym.

Three button suits, with the first two buttons fastened

Those who still sport the Regis Phillbin/Tom Cruise monchromatic shirt and tie.

Any guy who is wearing a black shoe with a clandestine rubber sole. As if there is something wrong with a proper leather soled shoe.

Loafers/slip-ons with a suit, especially if you live in the place where you are wearing this combo. It is forgiveable, but should not be acceptable for the traveller.

NBA suits or one that looks like those worn on that "Kings of Comedy" movie.

The whole look you see on ESPN SportsCenter. You know the one; shoulders way too big, and vibrant patterns, shirt collars that are too narrow.

And lastly, the button-down collared shirt that sports an embroidered logo (golf shirts, too) for some corporation. Egads, why would anyone wear these unless the boss makes them.

11. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

All those skinny ties. Rarely work on all but the most skinny imho.

Sandals in the office.

Loud Tommy Bahama shirts.

T-shirts showing under polo shirts. T-shirts showing under anything for that matter.

Those new fugly clog shoes. My gawd what a disaster!

Over-sized sunglasses.

Nascar shirts during the work week.

Four button suits. (Common at Lenox Square Mall)

12. Pink22m

Pink22m Well-Known Member

Forgive me sartorial god, for I have sinned.

13. VKK3450

VKK3450 Well-Known Member

Chopper T's in any shade

Whats a Chopper T??

K

14. mrchapel

Any sleeveless t-shirt anywhere, even the gym.

Disagree strongly here; sleeveless t-shirts serve a very important function for those who work out. I would sweat like a pig without the use of sleeveless t-shirts when lifting weights. The gym is the last place for fashion sense.

I see nothing wrong with this, though I generally button the middle only on my 3-button suits. It's the last button fastened that makes me cringe.

Nothing wrong per se here; at least an effort is being made. 95% of men do not know the virtues of a leather soled shoe, nor do they know what a leather soled shoe is. Perhaps you should educate them on such matters?

1 person likes this.
  15. mrchapel

Whats a Chopper T??

K

The tees that bear the logos of West Coast Choppers or Orange County Choppers in reference to motorcycles.

16. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

And what is your definition of AmJack?

Commonly seen with spikey hair held up with glue-like substance, along with a too cool for school attitude. Oh, a fake tan as well. They're not as prevalent now as a year or two ago, but the repulsiveness is still there nevertheless.

17. Carey

Carey Well-Known Member

Disagree strongly here; sleeveless t-shirts serve a very important function for those who work out. I would sweat like a pig without the use of sleeveless t-shirts when lifting weights. The gym is the last place for fashion sense.

I see nothing wrong with this, though I generally button the middle only on my 3-button suits. It's the last button fastened that makes me cringe.

Nothing wrong per se here; at least an effort is being made. 95% of men do not know the virtues of a leather soled shoe, nor do they know what a leather soled shoe is. Perhaps you should educate them on such matters?

Point one:
    I sweat like a beast when I work out, but my t-shirt (which isn't too tight, nor too voluminous) doesn't restrict my movement. I don't want to see your hairy armpit, or get an unfiltered whiff of your stench when you are doing your flies. There was a men's player sporting your look at the US Open this past week, and he looked like a vulgarian.

Point two:
    I think of this top two buttons fastened suiting as the Men's Warehouse look, or the "this is what the guy at (department store name of your choosing) told me Everyone is wearing these days.

I agree with you that all of the buttons buttoned makes a guy look like he is going to his first communion.

Point three:
    Lastly, that whole Kenneth Cole, Ecco, even Cole Haan has gotten in on this, I don't think this is making an effort for fashionable dressing. I see these guys on the shuttle at the airport, and I bet they put on these rubber soled shoes and think to themselves "These aren't too far off from my Nikes!" Shoes should be comfortable, but most guys think if that new leather sole isn't flexible the second they put their foot in it, it never will be. They are wrong.

The only time I can say yes to a rubber soled dress shoe, is when the weather is very rainy or the streets are covered in slush. I have a pair of Alden Cape Cods for those days. I can't make myself wear rubber overshoes.

18. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

This one has been annoying me lately:

Popped pink polo
    Khaki cargo shorts
    Sandals
    Faux-hawk
    Entitled attitude

Argh,
    Huntsman

19. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Point one:

Point three:
    Lastly, that whole Kenneth Cole, Ecco, even Cole Haan has gotten in on this, I don't think this is making an effort for fashionable dressing. I see these guys on the shuttle at the airport, and I bet they put on these rubber soled shoes and think to themselves "These aren't too far off from my Nikes!" Shoes should be comfortable, but most guys think if that new leather sole isn't flexible the second they put their foot in it, it never will be. They are wrong.

The only time I can say yes to a rubber soled dress shoe, is when the weather is very rainy or the streets are covered in slush. I have a pair of Alden Cape Cods for those days. I can't make myself wear rubber overshoes.

Well, I can't afford AE retail, so I suppose I don't make an effort in my 3pc, 2B SB non-Barney's KFS, Talbott shirt and Lanvin tie. Damn.

Regards,
    Huntsman