1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Worst Car Modification

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Augusto86, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Shikar

Shikar Well-Known Member

2. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Well-Known Member

The latest mod for Mexican contractors in Georgia. Seriously. Seen it myself and wept.

Don't ever go through a 'Little Mexico' then, you'll slit your wrists.

I've gotta say seeing a Honda with an intercooler strapped to the front, but not hooked up, was the worst so far that I can think of.

Oh, and painting the hood flat black to make people think it's carbon fiber. [​IMG]

3. jgold47

jgold47 Well-Known Member

^^ I thought that was limited to our IT guy's truck. Sadly, it appears I'm wrong.

Hey, what's that strap that attaches to the back of a car (usually a lowered rice-burner) and drags on the ground? Is it supposed to touch the ground? I'd heard a bit about them and that they grounded the car (what - lightening strike???), but now I'm seeing them on normal cars, and they don't touch the ground. What gives?

its a grounding strap. supposed to dissipate static electricity or something. I used to see them in western canada all the time but not here at all. I cannot imagine them having any benefit whatsoever.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

its a grounding strap. supposed to dissipate static electricity or something. I used to see them in western canada all the time but not here at all. I cannot imagine them having any benefit whatsoever.

Of course they have no benefit. Unless they're styrofoam.

5. Roikins

Roikins Well-Known Member

They actually seem to have some effect if they actually touch the ground. Living all my life in California, I never had issues with getting out of my car and getting shocked, but when I started going out to the east coast in winter, I would constantly get shocked when I'd close the car door due to static build-up from the extremely dry weather. However, I don't seem to get shocks from cars I rode in that had grounding straps, so who knows?

6. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

Of course they have no benefit. Unless they're styrofoam.

Really? My car's been shocking the shit out of me when the weather gets dry and was considering one of these. I guess I'll just suck it up and take it like a man.

7. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I remember as a child seeing a chain hanging from every gasoline tanker on the road.

8. rdawson808

rdawson808 Well-Known Member

Really? My car's been shocking the shit out of me when the weather gets dry and was considering one of these. I guess I'll just suck it up and take it like a man.

Just remember to touch metal and take the shock before you start pumping gas. Nifty experiment with it on Mythbusters. Nothing to do with your cellphone.

b

9. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Well-Known Member

the worst thing I have seen is an escalade towtruck..I dont know if it came like this, or the douchebag in my neighborhood got a silverado with a conversion kit, but I do know that it is the douchey-ist thing ever..(p.s it isnt the older model escalade, its a newer model front end on the towtruck)

10. CTGuy

CTGuy Well-Known Member

They actually seem to have some effect if they actually touch the ground. Living all my life in California, I never had issues with getting out of my car and getting shocked, but when I started going out to the east coast in winter, I would constantly get shocked when I'd close the car door due to static build-up from the extremely dry weather. However, I don't seem to get shocks from cars I rode in that had grounding straps, so who knows?

I'm pretty sure they put them on the bottom of ambulances as well for some reason.

11. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

To stop from getting shocked, when I get out of the car (since I have fabric) I put my hands on the outside metal and try not to drag my arse as hard across the seat. Seems to work.

12. indy116

indy116 Well-Known Member

I've gotta say seeing a Honda with an intercooler strapped to the front, but not hooked up, was the worst so far that I can think of.

Something like this may even be worse? http://www.ppsonline.net/airintake_FrontMount.htm

The fake exhaust tips are good too.. one side dirty, other side not. [​IMG]

13. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

You haven't seen the green ones: [​IMG] --Andre
    Those are really intimidating in person; there are three (two orange and one green iirc) that have been trailered to FIR in Phoenix and have seen there many times (I think they belong to some semi-pro team). Hearing those monsters blast past at over 100 mph is quite amazing. A lot quieter than you'd think, actually, although once there was a black GT3 (I think at least unless it was a GT2) that sounded like a jet engine at speed (sort of a flange effect whoosh howl noise), more so than even the Nissan GT-R.

14. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Well-Known Member

Ricer crap is the worst.

15. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

I like the GT3RS because all of its wings and flaps are actually functional and proven in the wind tunnel unlike riced-out cars. It also has that nerdy ugly-chic look normally only found on Japanese cars (eg. Mitsubishi Evo, Subaru WRX, Nissan GT-R).

It's actually pretty loud. At a driving school at Laguna Seca recently, someone with a (green) GT3RS fitted an L-shaped pipe to his exhaust so he wouldn't be black-flagged for sound. A stock Corvette ZR-1 violated sound at the school. But it's supposed to be a sweet car --- a friend who's a pro racer says the RS is the best street car he's driven on track, though it still has compromises since it's still street legal. The suspension was soft enough that the car could be scary at times.

--Andre

16. skalogre

I like the GT3RS because all of its wings and flaps are actually functional and proven in the wind tunnel unlike riced-out cars. It also has that nerdy ugly-chic look normally only found on Japanese cars (eg. Mitsubishi Evo, Subaru WRX, Nissan GT-R).

It's actually pretty loud. At a driving school at Laguna Seca recently, someone with a (green) GT3RS fitted an L-shaped pipe to his exhaust so he wouldn't be black-flagged for sound. A stock Corvette ZR-1 violated sound at the school. But it's supposed to be a sweet car --- a friend who's a pro racer says the RS is the best street car he's driven on track, though it still has compromises since it's still street legal. The suspension was soft enough that the car could be scary at times.

--Andre

Maybe it was due to the fact that there were so many other cars like race prepped M3s (now THOSE were loud) Mustangs, Corvettes (even a former Winston cup road racer - apparently close if not over 800 bhp) at various times on that track but these newer Porsche were incredibly quiet in comparison. Even some older whale-tail fin 911s were loud as hell compared to the GT3RS.

17. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

Maybe it was due to the fact that there were so many other cars like race prepped M3s (now THOSE were loud) Mustangs, Corvettes (even a former Winston cup road racer - apparently close if not over 800 bhp) at various times on that track but these newer Porsche were incredibly quiet in comparison. Even some older whale-tail fin 911s were loud as hell compared to the GT3RS.

I don't know. I was behind the GT3RS (for brief periods of time when it was passing me), and it was pretty friggin' loud. I have a pretty loud exhaust on my car, but we thought the GT3 was going to get black-flagged for sure. I also got a ride in a full-on 911 race car that day (basically a space frame with a fiberglass body), and the GT3 was louder than that car.

Another factor could be that Laguna has lots of walls and hills, so it tends to amplify sound. I've never been to PIR, but if it's open like Buttonwillow, then the perception of sound can change quite a bit.

--Andre

18. btinl

btinl Well-Known Member

Spotted a Scion xB in San Francisco with BMW kidney grills on the front and a BMW badge on the rear. It also had the 2.5i badge from the X3. Really classy car.

19. skalogre

I don't know. I was behind the GT3RS (for brief periods of time when it was passing me), and it was pretty friggin' loud. I have a pretty loud exhaust on my car, but we thought the GT3 was going to get black-flagged for sure. I also got a ride in a full-on 911 race car that day (basically a space frame with a fiberglass body), and the GT3 was louder than that car. Another factor could be that Laguna has lots of walls and hills, so it tends to amplify sound. I've never been to PIR, but if it's open like Buttonwillow, then the perception of sound can change quite a bit. --Andre
    Don't know... anyway, FIR's three tracks are almost completely flat, no real elevation changes http://www.firebirdraceway.com/web/trackrentals.html
    Spotted a Scion xB in San Francisco with BMW kidney grills on the front and a BMW badge on the rear. It also had the 2.5i badge from the X3. Really classy car.
    Sounds awfully classy! [​IMG]

20. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

Ricer crap is the worst.

Did you see my modified car? [​IMG]