1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Workout question - How not to get big?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by kontra, Aug 20, 2008.

1. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Well-Known Member

There's a ton of shit that goes on, but basically for most muscles the easiest way to figure out how much hypertrophy will result is the total workload per week at 50-60%+ of your current 1 rep maximum.

Essentially, think of it this way: you're doing squats. Your 1 rep maximum is 100lbs. The total workload per week is the number of sets done per week with at least 50lbs on the bar.

Say your workouts are like this:

Monday: 3 sets of 8 with 50lbs.
    Wednesday: 1 set of 2 with 90lbs.
    Friday: 5 sets of 5 with 70lbs.

Monday's workload is 1200 (3x8x50), Wednesday's is 180 (2x90), and Friday's is 1750 (5x5x70).

Now imagine you changed the Friday workout to be 5 sets of 8 with 50lbs. The weight is lower, but the total workload then becomes 2000lbs.

Hi Why,
    This is the first time I've encountered workload quantified in this way. Did you get this formula from a book or published study?

Thanks.

2. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

so, a thread on how NOT to get big somehow finds its way to having 'Jay and Ronnie' on a first name basis.

I love SF

3. why

why Well-Known Member

Hi Why, This is the first time I've encountered workload quantified in this way. Did you get this formula from a book or published study? Thanks.
    It's not a formula per se. It's just a quick and dirty way to measure total volume and makes a lot of assumptions (rest periods no longer than maybe 3 or 4 minutes in length as a maximum, exercises are compound, workload is done in actual 'workouts', etc.). It makes playing around with total workload easy and makes deloading, intensitification, and volume phases easier to measure without just taking wild guesses or subbing exercises and hoping that the right result is achieved.

4. beasty

beasty Well-Known Member

so, a thread on how NOT to get big somehow finds its way to having 'Jay and Ronnie' on a first name basis.

I love SF

Any thread on swimming, olympic golds and mens must for the sake of completeness include mention of Phelps, Spitzer and Thorpe. I cannot imagine what any thread on bodybuilding can do without the mention of men who have perfected it to an art form and is the best there is in the world today. Bar none.

5. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

So basically if I was to start a thread saying 'worsen my swimming stroke', we should start with the Thorpedo and work our way backwards [​IMG]

6. beasty

beasty Well-Known Member

So basically if I was to start a thread saying 'worsen my swimming stroke', we should start with the Thorpedo and work our way backwards [​IMG]

Yup. State what Thorpedo does and do the reverse.

7. Happydayz

Happydayz Well-Known Member

you don't magically get big by lifting weights. You also need to eat more.

So the solution to not getting big is watching your caloric intake.

8. Eagle

Eagle Well-Known Member

I wonder who is more gay? The guy who did it or the guy who noticed it?

...or would it be the guy who obsesses about it(!)? [​IMG]

9. beasty

beasty Well-Known Member

...or would it be the guy who obsesses about it(!)? [​IMG]

Possibly. But that wont be me since I didnt notice Lee's hair until he raised it.