1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Work Appropriate Boot

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wils8484, Oct 23, 2012.

1. wils8484

wils8484 New Member

I am starting a new job next monday and am looking for a versatile boot. I am not going to be wearing a suit everyday but will on occasion. I would love to have something along the lines of the Alden Indy boot without the price. I now wear the chippewa GQ boot on a daily basis and need something much dressier. I also have a wide foot so red wings tend to be out of the question.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  2. gsugsu

gsugsu Well-Known Member

If you are contemplating wearing boots with a suit none of the models you have mentioned would be appropriate IMHO. They are far too casual and they are made for a different purpose. Depending on the fabric of your suit (worsted versus say flannel or tweed) a derby style boot (open lacing) could be worn with the latter but generally not with the former. A balmoral boot is ideal for wearing with a suit. However, you could indeed wear a derby with any suit and not raise too many eyebrows unless you work in a very conservative environment. A derby or country boot is generally made on a wider last so depending on how wide your feet are you should be able to find something. This kind of boot could give you the flexibility to pair it with a suit or more casual wear. Consider a cap toe or a brogue boot. Remember, the more embellishment the boot has the more casual it is considered. Think of the difference between a half brogue versus a full brogue. Think cap toe first.

What budget do you have for the boot? That will allow people to make suggestions.

3. NoCleverName

NoCleverName Well-Known Member

All good points. Here's a good example of a reasonably priced balmoral boot (in brown preferably):

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7715_1_40000000001_-1

Cheaper than Alden, especially if you wait for a sale or get them from B&S.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012