1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Woody Allen as a style icon

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by radicaldog, Sep 18, 2010.

1. radicaldog

radicaldog Well-Known Member

You get the analogy, right?

There is this figure of speech called hyperbole, y'know. It's quite uncharitable to read my words so literally. If I called you a Nazi I'd owe you an apology, but I didn't.

2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Hold on, I posted my large smiley before that.

I think the comment about America being a continent was bit pedantic to be honest, I use the term America to mean the U.S all the time.

I don't know what your politics are and I don't care. I don't get involved in political discussions.

You are a funny guy. You seem to get in over your head a lot and try to back out nonchalantly. Which is fine with me.

3. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

There is this figure of speech called hyperbole, y'know. It's quite uncharitable to read my words so literally. If I called you a Nazi I'd owe you an apology, but I didn't.

Right, you say that I think a whole class of people are not human, but that's just fair game. I point out that certain demographic assumptions of yours are out of date and I am a huge asshole.

Being on the left means never having to say you're sorry. Being on the right means that even if you are right about a small point of fact you are Hitler.

4. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Well-Known Member

Hmmm...shall we move on to Morgan Freeman?
    Wake me up when you get to Kevin Bacon. [​IMG]
    I've heard whispers about Morgan Freeman but nothing about Kevin Bacon -- and a cursory perusal of Wikipedia turned up nothing scandalous about either of them. Care to spill? I did, however, come across this gem of a quote on Woody Allen's page:
    What a freakshow (Woody, not the poor son). He annoys me as a man and as an actor, irks me as a celebrity, vexes me as a director, and infuriates me as someone who is wealthy beyond my comprehension.

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

Thank you, Woody:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- B

6. radicaldog

What you said was factually incorrect. If it's important for you to believe faleshoods, then just ignore me.
    There are many ways to point out falsehoods. Some of those ways are (unnecessarily) dismissive and condescending. I believe it's true that, like you say, most finance elites are not preppy any more. But if you want to continue this discussion constructively, please don't ignore my replies, which you force me to repeat: - Allen is in his seventies. - "My initial claim, properly understood (remember: this is a clothing forum), is that the use of preppy clothing can create a look that is associated with the traditional image of Eastern WASP elites etc."

7. radicaldog

Right, you say that I think a whole class of people are not human, but that's just fair game. I point out that certain demographic assumptions of yours are out of date and I am a huge asshole.

Being on the left means never having to say you're sorry. Being on the right means that even if you are right about a small point of fact you are Hitler.

I didn't say it was fair game. I said that any reasonable reader of my words would understand that they are a hyperbole:

hyperbole |hīˈpərbəlē|
    noun
    exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

Moreover, you 'pointed out' those things in an insulting way, hence my piqued response. Being dismissive and condescending out of the blue (as opposed to in response to an offensive remark) is quite asshole-ish in my book.

8. radicaldog

Good one. Are you writing speeches for Sarah Palin, the Tea Party, and other microcephalic freaks now?

9. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I didn't say it was fair game. I said that any reasonable reader of my words would understand that they are a hyperbole:

hyperbole |hīˈpərbəlē|
    noun
    exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

Moreover, you 'pointed out' those things in an insulting way, hence my piqued response. Being dismissive and condescending out of the blue (as opposed to in response to an offensive remark) is quite asshole-ish in my book.

Right, I wonder what would happen if I used some "hyperbole"?

And it sure is passing strange that someone might object to being told that he denied the humanity of a whole class of people! I mean, doesn't anyone have a sense of humor any more?

10. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Good one. Are you writing speeches for Sarah Palin now?

I love how everyone thinks I am supposed to be ashamed of what I have done in my career. Yes, my career to date sure has been embarassing!

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

I don't know why I am bothering to post this, but RD I've not encountered such personal bitterness on here often. I am sure that my opinion, since I am sure you have lumped me in with the vast microcephalic, vulgar right wing, doesn't matter much, but come on, dude. Usually you are a really interesting poster, too, a dwindling class on SF.

12. radicaldog

I don't know why I am bothering to post this, but RD I've not encountered such personal bitterness on here often. I am sure that my opinion, since I am sure you have lumped me in with the vast microcephalic, vulgar right wing, doesn't matter much, but come on, dude. Usually you are a really interesting poster, too, a dwindling class on SF.
    Thank you for your kind words. I haven't lumped you with anyone.* As I said, I admit that I reacted badly, partly because I'm in a bad mood tonight; but I certainly didn't start this, did I? I reckon that makes me sound a bit like a kid in a playground, but there has got to be something to it. I also offered 'peace terms' and I tried to move the discussion back to the substance of the argument rather than to insults. If Manton doesn't cool down I might just have to start to stop replying. * If that's what you mean, I've observed you make some self-serving, ideological remarks on politics and economics. But then again, so do I. (I mean, figuring out the scope for normativity within a broadly realist and critical-theoretic framework is my new obsession, so I don't quite know how big of a problem ideology is for the purposes of constructive political disagreement.)

13. radicaldog

Manton, if you really thought I meant to call you a Nazi, well, sorry for inadvertently offending you.

Now, do you want to address my replies to your point about preppy etc.? Do you want to talk about Woody Allen's style? If not, I can't quite see the point of continuing this particular exchange.

14. Sartorial1

Sartorial1 Well-Known Member

Whoa!
    I thought this was a thread about Woody Allen.

Did I win a "special preview" of Current Events, Power & Money?

That is one complicated family.
    Allen's son, Ronan, put it well, "He's my father married to my sister. That makes me his son and his brother-in-law."

Allen is either incapable of making a commitment to a partner,
    or is unwilling to make one.
    He seems always waiting for something better to come along.
    As Allen, himself, put it, "The heart wants what it wants."

When it comes to previous partners,
    some were marriages,
    some weren't.

Harlene Rosen (marriage)
    Louise Lasser (marriage)
    Diane Keaton
    Stacey Nelkin
    Mia Farrow
    Soon-Yi (marriage)​

15. itsstillmatt

Manton, if you really thought I meant to call you a Nazi, well, sorry for inadvertently offending you.

Now, do you want to address my replies to your point about preppy etc.? Do you want to talk about Woody Allen's style? If not, I can't quite see the point of continuing this particular exchange.

I don't see him as East Coast Prep at all, though having grown up and lived on the west coast my entire life, I don't know that I know what it is. I see him as typical Liberal Arts Professor style, or at least a carefully constructed caricature of that. I almost like it, but I don't.

16. Sartorial1

I don't feel comfortable weighing in on the rest.
    But I think Manton is correct in his referene to the United States of America as America.

United States of America
    The name is America.
    The other words are modifiers;
    they refer to the largest of the "administrative divisions" within the country.

United Kingdon of Great Britain
    The name is Great Britain.
    Again, the other words are modifiers.

17. itsstillmatt

I don't feel comfortable weighing in on the rest.
    But I think Manton is correct in his referene to the United States of America as America.

United States of America
    The name is America.
    The other words are modifiers;
    they refer to the largest of the "administrative divisions" within the country.

United Kindon of Great Britain
    The name is Great Britain.
    Again, the other words are modifiers.

Those poor Northern Irish...

18. Sartorial1

Those poor Northern Irish...
    The Kingdom ain't too Great for many of them.

19. radicaldog

Whoa! I thought this was a thread about Woody Allen. Did I win a "special preview" of Current Events, Power & Money?
    I did try. Let me try again. How baggy casual shirts can look good (this one may be pushing it a bit though): [​IMG] Knowing when not to be too slouchy (but note the degage notch DJ): [​IMG] Not a great-fitting coat, but a stylish ensemble nonetheless, thanks to the careless use of colour and general relaxed effortlessness: [​IMG] I'm not good at googling though. Can't find the pics I really want, and can't be bothered to capture stills from my DVDs.

20. itsstillmatt

[​IMG]

I'm not good at googling though. Can't find the pics I really want, and can't be bothered to capture stills from my DVDs.

Good to see him out there dating again.