1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Women in suits: a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Flartchy, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I see a few women in suits every day on whom I think "That was a good idea."

2. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I actually had an account rep show up in one of these.

My former female boss would sometimes show up in these[​IMG]She got promoted suddenly but not because she knew what she was doing!

3. yachtie

yachtie Well-Known Member

My former female boss would sometimes show up in these[​IMG]She got promoted suddenly but not because she knew what she was doing!
    Oh, I'll bet she knew exactly what she was doing. [​IMG]

4. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

Oh, I'll bet she knew exactly what she was doing. [​IMG]

Yup, you're right! I just thought it would backfire. Guess I was totally wrong [​IMG]

5. Mr_Elusive

Mr_Elusive Well-Known Member

Found a big girl in a suit. That chick from Madmen. She's a little on the big side.

Would damage effectively.

6. Minarchist

Minarchist Well-Known Member

Found a big girl in a suit. That chick from Madmen. She's a little on the big side.

Would damage effectively.

Yeah... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. yachtie

yachtie Well-Known Member

Yeah... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not that I'm complaining, but that's a dress.

8. Minarchist

Minarchist Well-Known Member

Not that I'm complaining, but that's a dress.

Yes, I'm aware of that. [​IMG]

9. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Well-Known Member

Yup, you're right! I just thought it would backfire. Guess I was totally wrong [​IMG]

This discussion seems odd to me. Suppose that she wouldn't have been promoted without dressing in a way that was too sexy for the environment. Were that so, then it's the persons promoting her who improperly allowed that to sway their decision. Aren't they the ones to blame for her promotion? Who has the power?

Suppose I have a female boss. I know she will promote me if I dress in a way she finds highly sexually attractive, and which is too sexy to be appropriate for the environment. Suppose the rest of my performance doesn't warrant a promotion. But I do dress that way, and she then promotes me. Who is to blame?

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

Maybe the OP's argument is only half right. Based on most people I have seen in suits, regardless of gender, 99% of them look ill fit in their suit. If the females in suits u have seen look ill fit, they're probably just meeting the social norm of such things [​IMG]

11. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

I'm a trial lawyer and see many women in suits every day. Some look great, some not so much, some horrid.
    I'm a trial lawyer, I see men in suits every day. A few look great, a few more look okay, and the rest look horrid.
    And the OP doesn't seem to realize that the optimum shape for both sexes is the hourglass, as shown by some of the British military inspired suits.
    That said, a woman's suit must be tailored for a woman. My wife looks fabulous in the ones she owns. But I'm not posting pics. [​IMG]

12. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Please post a photo of an average-sized, non-skinny woman, say size 10-12, looking good in a suit. (The average size for women in the US is actually 14.) I rest my case.
    My department's secretary is, I'm sure, close to the average size 14 or so, and she wears some very well fitted suits, including a really excellent dove grey peak-lapel number with faint pink pinstripes that even I envy. The problem is that most womens' clothes are really cheap, poorly fitted, and not meant to last at all. ~ H

13. __PG__

__PG__ Well-Known Member

Next people will be saying that women don't look good in jeans.

14. Fred H.

Fred H. Well-Known Member

15. Masa

Masa Member

The topic reminded me of this advertising photo. I think they look good although quite masculine.
    [​IMG]