1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 721LTD Shell Cordovan 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Crane's, Oct 21, 2010.

1. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

YES. You need to let the leather naturally dry out from the moisture from your feet. General rule is you never wear a good pair of shoes two days in a row. Shoe trees are also essential for dress shoes; I view them as helpful, but not at all necessary for boots.

2. thams

thams Well-Known Member

Ahhh, ok. That does make sense -- especially if they've been subjected to gross weather or extra sweaty feet. I'll make good use of the shoe trees then.

3. globaldev

globaldev New Member

love these boots. before i grab a pair. i was wondering if the rationale for going down a half size was more the width and/or the length. i am thinking most people have narrow to normal feet and maybe therefore the width was too much?

it seems only full sizes in d are still available and i typically wear a 11.5 wide sounds like an 11 would be okay.

(wow, I have only 1 post in since 9/10. i didn't even realize i had an account beofre i logged in)..

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  4. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

Maintenance needs to be matched to use IMO. I'm obviously very rough on the 1K boots in my collection so my maintanence routine is necessary to keep them alive and well.

I've heard much talk about letting good footwear rest between uses. I never hear any mention about letting lower quality footwear rest between uses though. In my mind it seems the lower quality stuff would need the rest. LOL! Sometimes I think this is nothing more than good marketing at work. I base quality or cost on how many times I can use something versus how long I've just owned it. The resting rule IMO makes it appear that a shoe or boot lasts longer than it actually does. Now keep in mind I'm not saying you should wear wet boots or shoes. In this case it is a smart move to let them dry out before you wear them again. Not so much for the leather's sake but for your feet's sake. Foot rot sucks.

1 person likes this.
  5. thams

thams Well-Known Member

I agree with everything that you say here. If you're the type to wear your boots to the office and back, then maintenance will probably be somewhat minimal (especially if you drive door to door). It would seem to me that the cheaper the shoe, the more it would have to rest between wears as well. Barring the boots being really damp, I wouldn't think wearing the same pair of boots everyday would necessarily hurt them. I do understand giving them a rest every now and then though, especially if you're particularly rough on them.

Boots were delivered today and are waiting for me for when I leave work. Can't wait to see them in person (which I have yet to do).

6. Crane's

You'll like them. Post pics if you can.

7. thams

thams Well-Known Member

The 721LTDs are, to say the very least, awesome. The style (i.e. wingtip) is much less pronounced when the boot is on -- which I like a lot. Out of the box, the boots were soooooo waxy, which I didn't mind. It just means they're saturated with oil goodness. I took a rag to them followed by a brush. A lot of it came off, but it'll be sometime before they stop seeping. I'll just have to be diligent about wiping/brushing. They're comfortable as hell and only slightly stiff. All around great quality -- I can tell they'll be around for a long time.

Also, I replaced the laces with the wax cord ones that AE so kindly included with the purchase. I think they dress the boot up a fair bit.

And now, photos (sorry for the amateur shots):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

Yours look especially great. And the Horween stamp has huge bonus value!

9. bl@ster

bl@ster Well-Known Member

GJ on the HOrween stamp. What size are those?

10. thams

thams Well-Known Member

They're size 8.5.

I plan on taking pictures as they wear so folks can see how they age. I expect there won't be any huge differences in the appearance of the leather, but it should eventually take on a sweet patina.

11. Cayman09

Cayman09 Member

Here are a couple of pictures of mine after wearing them for nearly a month. I love these boots. I plan on doing little in the way of brushing and polish from here on out. I prefer a more worn look and will see what develops.

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. Dayman

Dayman Well-Known Member

Very nice! I'm excited to see the progression.

13. globaldev

globaldev New Member

so I have been wearing my 721s for about 2 weeks... these are some sweet boots. love the subtle wingtip on the toe box.

I went with an 11 and while they could stand to be a tiny bit wider for me, they are plenty acceptable and have stretched enough to fit nicely and not fret or show regret about the width.. however, initially fitting made me consider wanting to go up a size.. can't wait until these really wear in and fit like a glove and I totally see that happening.

wearing these is enough to make me want to have all my shoes in shell cordovan... i could see one of my neighbors who is very into fashion eyeing these and wondering what I was wearing...

i haven't seen anyone mention the two-tone nature (doesn't mean they haven't), i don't exactly understand why it's like that since it's not advertised as such. anyone have any rationale? not that it bothers me, but i was just curious.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  14. Dayman

Dayman Well-Known Member

Shell seems be like that often, take a look at the Alden shoe thread on here. It seems to happen more often with Whiskey and lighter shades of shell than the dark, but it does happen all the time. Can't tell you for sure why, but im assuming since its harder to produce(Horween takes 6 months to tan shell)that its also harder to be 100% consistant in color. At least your lighter parts match on both boots I've seen many with both shoes different shades.

15. seer

seer Well-Known Member

Stunning! Some day when I grow up...

16. iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

are these considered work boots, or not? looks like they can be used for hiking too.

17. Dayman

Dayman Well-Known Member

If you look back Crane's talks about using them for that reason. He beats the hell out of his Addisons too.

18. Crane's

Yep and don't forget about my brown pair of original 1Ks which have been resoled commando style. The Addisons are about due for a resole and I'm still on the fence on what's going to be done to them. Probably a half sole but an aggressive full sole is so tempting. Once they make it to the cobbler then the trees are coming out of the 721s. Just in time for Missouri's muck season.

19. Dayman

Dayman Well-Known Member

I forgot all about the brown 1ks. You'll have to post some pics of those as well. I'd like to see them in commando style!

20. Dayman

Dayman Well-Known Member

Im interested in seeing them as well. Hopefully they release something soon.