1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Newberry

Newberry Well-Known Member

I'm a size 8d in a lot of my boots and I use size small shoe trees without a problem.

2. Newberry

I've always liked that model. I just wish they made a brown cxl version of it. I'd say its a good deal for $63 if it's in great condition

3. shades9323

shades9323 Well-Known Member

So I received a pair of these boots today in size 8. Is a little heel slip normal? Will it go away with break in? Slips with every step and bunches up my sock. It is this boot too big? Toe box seems like a snug fit already.

4. Fabian43

Fabian43 Well-Known Member

Just received them today. They are a tad big so it's a catch and release. If anyone is interested I'll sell for what I bought plus cost of shipping to you...so approx $75

5. milw50717

milw50717 Well-Known Member

Some heel slip is normal. It may go away or reduce with wear. Bunching up the sock sounds not so good, try a tighter or thicker sock or adding an insole.

6. shades9323

So I tried a thicker sock and doing a hikers lace. Minimized the heel slip but made it really snug (especially across the top of my right foot). Will the leather stretch? I guess I could try loosing the laces on the bottom half while retaining the hikers lace on the top? What about tongue pads? Will those help lock in the heel?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  7. styleforumfan

styleforumfan Well-Known Member

I spilled some fruit juice smoothie by accident on to my W1000M Montague chelsea boots. I wiped them clean with a slightly damp paper towel. They now have some dark spots on the leather (Predator?). Does anyone know how to treat them so the dark spots won't become permanent? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  8. manowar

manowar Well-Known Member

I'm with you. With narrower heels it is hard to get a good fit in boots sometimes. A tongue pad is worth a try but it could only increase the pain on your instep. I have found the most success by using partial insoles, but fit can be hard to nail down. You want something that will lift your heel a bit without tightening the fit anywhere else. Superfeet or Tacco are decent brands to start with.

9. shades9323

Think I got it dialed in. Dress socks + light lacing on the bottom + hiking lace on top = good fit with minimal heel slip!

1 person likes this.
  10. Newberry

1 person likes this.
  11. mogili222

mogili222 Well-Known Member

People on reddit have reported getting the brown suede ones instead of regular brown leather. Even the description says suede upper.

[​IMG]

12. Newberry

Oh wow I didn't see that. I ordered them last night, so we'll see what happens. I already have a lot of brown boots, so I was probably going to return them anyway. Good thing I have like 5 Nordstrom Racks in my area so returns won't be a problem lol. Do you think you could post the links? I'm curious to see what the people at reddit said.

13. mogili222

mogili222 Well-Known Member

Here you go..

https://www.reddit.com/r/frugalmale...r/wolverine_1000_mile_15997_sizes_85_9_95_13/

1 person likes this.
  14. Mercurio

Mercurio Member

I found the 1000 Miles "Evans" at the Nordstrom Rack clearance, but they are "dark green". I would prefer something like "rust" or some kind of brown, but that is what they have in my size.

Even though it's an uncommon color, I like the boots. I wonder if it's possible to make the "Evans" a bit darker in order to make them easier to wear with different combinations on a more frequent base, not just in occasions that suits that color. I don't know if this can be achieved with some kind of oil to get a patina on the green or with some kind of shoe cream if that kind of leather will accept it.

Any ideas? I will like to know what could be done to change a bit that bright color, even though is called "dark green". I have them in my cart but I don't know if a will pull the trigger...

[​IMG]

15. gte872h

gte872h Well-Known Member

You can dye them, but any color dye you use will mix with the base green color. It sounds like you really want a brownish boot instead and I'd recommend waiting on the color you really want. A while back I saw some before after pics of a pair of originally green boots turn almost black after being dyed.

1 person likes this.
  16. gte872h

17. Mercurio

Mercurio Member

Thank you for your answer.

If the dye color will mix with the base green, brown can be made mixing green and a drop of red... Does the dye works like an oil painting or a watercolor? Some type of aniline could work but it can be a costly experiment. On the other hand, the actual price of the green "Evans" is 50% less that any available brown, that's something to consider. Any idea of how frequently the Nordstrom Rack have clearance sales with Wolverine models? Can I expect a new one in a few months?

A few years ago I knew about a store that had their own Wolverine 1000 Miles edition for a fraction of the retail price during a certain period of time, but I'm not sure if it was Nordstrom...

18. gte872h

From what I've seen, the dye process is easier said than done. If I were you, I'd find a brown pair on grailed or ebay. Lots of people mistakenly buy the wrong size and are selling them at the price you are looking for. They can't return them since they wore them outside before realizing they don't fit right. These boots are essentially unworn at a huge discount.

19. Mercurio

Mercurio Member

I think you are right, I will search eBay or wait to
    the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, that this year will be July 21 through August 6, 2017.
    I love their dark brown "Adrian" cap toe, but not at $415...

20. Newberry

Ever year Nordstrom releases a Nordstrom Exclusive Wolverine 1000 Mile boot during their Anniversary Sale. They've been doing this for the past few years now. In 2014 they had the McClean boot, 2015 the McClean 2.0 boot and 2016 the Adrian boot. The Adrian Boot will most likely be gone by then or sent to the Rack (the black pair was already sent to the Rack), but a new Nordstrom Exclusive Wolverine 1K boot will take its place.

1 person likes this.