1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. milw50717

milw50717 Well-Known Member

Yet in an earlier post you state "I know there are others who have had no problems with the vibram soles,"

2. Ireges

Ireges Active Member

Yes, but I don't know what the factors are that result in some people having problems and others not. I'm just not keen on the idea of trying another cobbler without knowing what the issue is in the first place (e.g. skill of the cobbler, the kind of glue used, something else?)

3. milw50717

Yet in an earlier post you state "The cobbler is not the issue here, but the fact the leather is not conducive to adding a vibram sole because the glue will not stick.

Splitting hairs I know, but people have been sticking these soles to leather for decades now.

Where I come from we wear the shoes/boots for a while to get some wear on the leather sole, check the phase of the moon (must be waxing) and then take them to the cobblers. I've not had a problem. The wear is likely something that the cobbler can easily replicate on a new sole.

Just kidding about the phase of the moon

4. mg2380

mg2380 Well-Known Member

Find a new cobbler where you're currently living (it should cost under $30), or put them on yourself. My half-soles have been on for two years without any issues.

5. Dbc0919

Dbc0919 Well-Known Member

Had local cobbler put topy on my 1000 Mile boots. Lasted over two years. Just had new ones put on this week. As it appears that a ton of skill isn't necessary to get the job done, going to guess it's the glue.

6. milw50717

Taking one step back here.

The soles were shaved and a vibram half-sole attached by a previous cobbler. Did you or the previous cobbler apply any conditioner or oil to the sole of the boot, causing it to become saturated prior to the application of the half-sole ?

You ask, if you can wear the boots without a half-sole. The answer is yes and they will wear down as fast as an unshaved boot given the same factors - wear, environment, etc. Eventually, the leather sole will wear paper thin and then it will be time for a complete resole. It is going to come down to cost. Topy's are cheaper than a leather full resole.

Try another cobbler to ask their opinion about resoling - maybe wear the boots for a day or two to help clean off old adhesive and help leach out any oil that, err, may be present. Try using yelp or similar to find a cobbler in the local area and to read reviews about them. FWIW - Finding a good cobbler is not always easy. I tend to look for the older, grumpier type of cobbler rather than one of the 'instant repair types' in the local shopping mall.

7. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

3 plus years on my Vibram Raptor half soles without any issues on my now semi retired brown 1Ks.

8. Noirkw

Noirkw Well-Known Member

Any place besides STP to purchase 2nds ?

Thanks for any advice

9. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Well-Known Member

Can any of you give me an idea on fit for the Wolverine Krause boot? Half size down like the Indys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. TaperedGent

TaperedGent Well-Known Member

This is disappointing as I was planning to do this after wearing mine once.

11. TaperedGent

TaperedGent Well-Known Member

Ok maybe not. I have a cobbler that just did a great restitch job on my uppers, think i'm going to ask him about this.

12. thams

thams Well-Known Member

This is why I love Chromexcel leather. I hard weekend of hiking and camping left scratches and a few gouges in the leather. After a wipe down, a little saddle soap, and some oil they're good to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. mistercitizen

mistercitizen Well-Known Member

(This is with a heavy pair of "boot" socks for both pairs) The Krause boot I wear in size 11 D. I wear a size 11.5 D in the Indy Boot in shell cordovan. The Krause boot is the Horween Dublin Leather which is very supple and stretches quite a bit compared to shell. This is probably why I can get away with a size 11 D in the Krause boot. Even at the smaller 11 D size, there is plenty of room in the heel on the Krause boot. I would be tempted to try an 11.5 D in the Krause boot for a little more room in the toe box, but I would most definitely need insoles to tighten things up a bit in the heel and instep area.

I tried the Indy boot in size 11 D and it was close, but my little toe was digging into the side of the boot and shell cordovan is not stretchy enough to accomodate the crowded feeling I was having, thus I had to size up to the 11.5 D's.

Just for reference, I measure somewhere between 11.5 D and 12 D on the Brannock device.

Ben

14. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Well-Known Member

thanks. I use boot socks with my Indys so using them with the Krause won't be an issue. I measure as a 9.5 on a Brannock but wear a 9D dress shoe and 8.5D on the Tru Balance last., so i'm thinking an 8.5D on the Krause should work for me.

15. mistercitizen

mistercitizen Well-Known Member

I think you are probably right on the same size for the Krause as the Indy boot. I would say most people would wear the same size for both, and I probably could as well if I wore an 11.5 D in the Krause boot...... but I know that I can't pull off an 11 D in the Indy boot. At least not in shell cordovan. I wear an 11 D on the Barrie last for a pair of PTB's, but I am almost always wearing thin dress socks with those..... and they are a bit snug if anything.

Ben

16. Stylesp

Stylesp Member

17. Itchy

Itchy Well-Known Member

Had a conversation that dented my sureness on the topic of fitting and break-in. I've maintained that it's normal for leather boots to be a bit snug at first and that as you wear them you'll break them in and they'll stretch a bit (especially Chromexcel), molding to the wearer's feet and becoming more comfortable. My opposition said that leather boots don't stretch and that the way they fit on day one will be how they fit forever after.

Am I crazy (for this reason)?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  18. Shuggie

Shuggie New Member

Just got some on Fs Fashion Ny, not too many sizes or colors left though

19. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

You are correct and are not crazy

20. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Well-Known Member

I'm another one that's down a full branock size for these.^^
    I can wear a full size down on shell Aldens in the Barrie too with dress socks. To wear thicker socks with shell boots I have to size up .5.