1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

That's what has most likely happened whether you think it's silly or not. The damage that dirt does to leather starts internally and works it's way to the surface. it starts as barely visible hairline cracks. Then it gets worse. The same thing happens to leather that is allowed to dry out and is continually flexed. I don't think this is the problem with this guy's boots given the amount of use he's put them through. If they were dry they wouldn't last a year given what he said.

While we're on the subject CXL is an excellent choice to make footwear out of. Your incessant babblings to the contrary is getting to the point of being beyond monotonous and boring. Find something else to bitch about.

2 people like this.
  2. milw50717

milw50717 Well-Known Member

It could of course have been caused by a small cut in the leather caused by something sharp. This is a high flex area, so over time the small cut could have grown larger and deeper,.

It may be worth taking them to a cobbler to see if they can stitch and patch them. Having stitching or a patch on the inside could cause some discomfort if they rub against the foot, however.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  3. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

Even if it sounds silly, this is usually what leads to cracking in leather. Dry leather only speeds up this process.

EDIT: Found a post from DW to back up the claim.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. Mr M

Mr M Well-Known Member

And don't forget that this is dress boots. So it is good IMO if it can stand this long with outdoor activities.

5. eldude

eldude Member

Hey, just to provide a little more context...

Off the bat, it wouldnt surprise me if my care hasnt met best practices or what have you. Ill wear them consecutive days in a row, theyve been completely soaked during rain storms on multiple occassions, havent been shoe tree-d, slid down a rocky trail in them a couple times, etc.

FWIW Im not using them on a farm or a job site...they're still first and foremost city boy boots. And being from Chicago, I definitely dont wear them in the winter months (I have a pair of Red Wings that I coat with Obenaufs for snow and slush).

That being said, I've always made a point to wipe them down and let them dry naturally if they do get wet before wearing again, and I use a conditioner on them a couple times a year or whenever it feels like they need a refresh or they start to look dull. The stuff I use came with the boots as part of a Wolverine care kit

[​IMG]

I have no idea if my applications number in the too many or too few. Unfortunately they didnt provide any instructions with the kit about how often or when to apply. But I was always a little more worried about over rather than under conditioning them as theyve always seemed pretty soft and supple to me.

Anyway, the split has been there for at least a year and hasnt grown, so knock on wood.

6. milw50717

[​IMG]

7. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

^this.

After what I've read it's advised to condition lightly after the leather has been overly wet. It's better to condition lightly a bit more often than only a few heavy coats.

8. Neognosis

Neognosis Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Except that the picture shows a tear, not a crack.

That's clearly a spot where the fragile chromexcel was sliced open by something.

9. milw50717

10. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Well-Known Member

For the record, they're likely using the flesh side for that boot, rather than the grain side. It's not really a fair comparison.

11. milw50717

So, less 'fragile' flesh side out ?

12. Neognosis

Neognosis Well-Known Member

That's not a crease gone bad.. In fact, it runs perpendicular to the creasing that is right beneath it. It's a cut through the creasing.

How many times have those been resoled?

As for the Marines, that's interesting you bring them up. I work with and for the United States Marine Corp.

Of all the Marines I have seen and worked with in the field, none of them were wearing boots made with chromexcel.

Even though the link posted has a date of 2012 on it, I am relatively confident that it is historical and not a current press release.

No active US Marines in the field that I've ever worked with have been issued boots made with chromexcel. I might be mistaken, but their boots all seem to be made with a different leather and are mostly nylon.

Here's what they seem to be wearing:

http://www.marineshop.net/browse.cfm/boots-accessories/2,854.html?viewfrom=13&sortby=NAME

Maybe the rough out strips of leather are chromexcel, I don't know.

All I know is that both pairs of chromexcel wolverines I've had were very disappointing. In my first pair, the an eyelet ripped right out from the leather. In the second, the leather has become very wrinkled and shapeless. It looks like my right foot is just encased in a cordovan colored wrinkly blob.

But, that's just a sample of two, and some have pointed out that it is possible that Wolverine uses a chromexcel that is inferior to what Viberg and Whites is using, so that may indeed be possible.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  13. milw50717

http://horween.com/history/boondockers/

Replica by Viberg from the above

[​IMG]

14. eldude

eldude Member

2x

15. chris45

chris45 Well-Known Member

Hey all .. I'm looking at grabbing a pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile boots .. I'm looking at the 1000 boot Cordovan 8 (w00137) and the Montgomery 1000 Mile (w05311) [Garrison collection].. The cordovan 8's were standing out the most, but they don't have a rubber outsole..

I was really looking for something that would withstand the wet environment here in Louisiana.. would the Montgomery be the suggested model or should I end up going down a different path?

16. nevereast

nevereast Well-Known Member

Find a pair of 1k mile Austens, add a half sole to the 1k miles, or buy the 1k mile courtlands

FYI the Montgomery boots are not hand made in America. They are from china. Nothing wrong with that IMO but just so you know they are not part of the 1000 mile collection

17. chris45

thanks and good to know about the Montgomery's and where they are made. Are the Austin's discontinued or something?

18. nevereast

nevereast Well-Known Member

I don't see them on wolverines site so I think so... Might find some good sales then

It's too bad.. My Austens are my favorite pair

19. mg2380

mg2380 Well-Known Member

Amazon still has some Austen's for sale.

20. chris45

Thanks -- seeing if I can find them for a little bit better price. Does anyone know the MFG # of the Austen's? That way I can call a few local shops too and see if anyone has old stock..