1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. nevereast

nevereast Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

After months of wear I have finally noticed the difference in position of the first eyelet.

You can tell where the tounge is stitched in is significantly lower appearing in the left boot

Wondering if I'm victim of the class of gilt sale of factory seconds as firsts

This will drive my OCD nuts

2. cthip

cthip Well-Known Member

I had small-to-moderate amounts of water coming in through the welt of my 1Ks.

At the risk of re-opening this can of worms, SnoSeal 100% stopped water from getting in. Obenauf's LP did too. Having used both, I prefer Obenauf's.

My 1Ks are my rough-weather boots, and my Alden Indys see somewhat better weather. Maybe I'm doing it rong?

3. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Well-Known Member

The standard Alden Indy boot (401, 403 and 405) will be slightly more water resistant than the plain-toed 1K, due to the welt, but its storm welt is like that of the Krause, and it's just raised up to better protect the seam. The Alden 404 that I linked to was just an example of a storm welt with the extra set of stitching to keep that area between the upper and welt sealed off, but most Indys, including mine, don't have that.

I'd definitely go with the Indy over the leather-soled 1K for wet weather since I'm assuming you have either a neoprene-cork sole or a commando sole, which will hold up quite a bit better in terms of durability and traction.

Is it just the lighting, or are the boots on the left much darker? Where'd you buy these?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  4. anrobit

anrobit Well-Known Member

Because tongue and eyelet placement is such a minor issue, this is acceptable for firsts. It took you multiple months to notice, so it's hard to expect a factory worker to notice in a brief look over the boot. Although we may want it to be perfect, it's tough to expect perfection on every boot if it doesn't affect aesthetics or functionality. Think of it as wabi-sabi

For what it's worth, every second is marked with two tiny holes punched in the tongue, so you can always check that

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  5. Pecan89

Pecan89 Well-Known Member

On my third try with insoles. So far the cheapest thinnest on has been the best so far. None of them have been over 20 bucks but damn why cant there just be some thin firm rubber/foam insoles?
    I just want something like a flat 1/4 inch of FIRM material that doesn't shove my foot into the top of my boot and isn't a cheap piece of foam with no spring left after a month.

Hopefully outsoles add the desired effect as the morleys feel much more comfort friendly w/ their rubber sole

6. backtoreality15

backtoreality15 Member

Is it easier on your feet when walking on cement for long stretches, versus leather?

7. nevereast

Parts of the left are darker but that's partially lighting as well

I got them from gilt

8. misterjuiceman

Whoops, I misread that in the original post. If anyone would be selling seconds as first, or returned boots, it'd be Gilt. I loved Park and Bond, but after watching that whole Naked and Famous fiasco a while back, where they got a bunch of non-selvedge denim specially made for them, and no one realized what they were actually buying, I've figured a lot of the stuff on there is too good to be true.

9. nevereast

They are not marked as seconds as far as I can tell.

I had a decent experience purchasing them from Gilt, but it was my first time with them. I canceled and sized up .5 a size after hours after purchasing them via email and it went smoothly.

I did hear some horror stories about gilt after I purchased these. I personally don't think they are factory seconds sold as first. I would argue that maybe they could have been considered factory seconds, especially if Wolverine is going to suggest they retail at $440. Not a big deal.

Still very happy with them

10. cthip

cthip Well-Known Member

Looking at the two welts now I can see your point. My Indy boots (Epaulet Officer's Indy, similar to the 405 before there was a 405 version) have a double-leather dress sole, which is one of the reasons they don't see as much rain/snow.

Already put commando soles on my 1Ks. Killed the original sole quickly due to pretty aggressive wear (8+ solid hours running around on pavement everyday), not the boots' fault. They've performed flawlessly through what's been a rough winter so far, so I'm happy.

11. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

A good option for insoles is the Durashock insole made by Wolverine. After I tore up my plantar fascia on my right foot a while back that's what ended up in my 1Ks. They aren't thick but they work well for comfort. They come in whole sizes only so if you're in between sizes order up to the next whole size and trim if needed.

12. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Is it necessary to switch out the default sole (leather) in the Wolverine 1k and replace it with a commando sole for mild winter wear? Those ice patches on the floor can be slippery.

13. misterjuiceman

I wouldn't replace the sole on your boots until it's worn out. Each time you replace the sole on a Goodyear-welted boot, you shorten its life. A commando sole will do better in snow, for sure, but ice is ice, and there's not a whole lot you can do about that, unless you want caulked boots:
    [​IMG]

14. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Would you say the leather sole with the vibram heel is sufficient for mild winter conditions?

15. anrobit

Personally, I use a topy on my leather-soled boots. The leather sole gets chewed up far too quickly

16. misterjuiceman

I think that depends on what you mean by mild. If you're mostly walking from a parking lot to wherever you need to go, you'll likely be fine, if there's just a small amount of snow on the ground. If you're walking quite a bit, look into putting a Topy sole over your leather sole, and that should help stave off damage to your leather sole.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  17. Crane's

The above is sound advice. I add a Vibram Raptor half sole to my boots for traction and it keeps repair costs down. On ice short of using ice crampons there's not much you can do in regard to traction.

18. anrobit

Seconding that and misterjuiceman's comments. No sole does well on ice, but topys are so worth it for bad conditions

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  19. Crane's

And as misterjuiceman has already pointed out you can only resole a goodyear welt so many times. The longer you avoid a full resole/recraft the better and that extends to just about any boot or shoe.

20. misterjuiceman

Thirding this and Crane's comments.

1 person likes this.