1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Well-Known Member

2. milw50717

milw50717 Well-Known Member

Your linked Horween thread also mentions the use of Montana Pitch Blend.

Wolverine sells a care kit for their 1K collection for which they partnered with Horween and Montana Pitch Blend. Perhaps you should link to that also ?

It includes a jar of MPB dressing that contains beeswax. Nasty stuff that clogs the pores. Stick to coconut.

[​IMG]

Edit - The Wolverine site for mobiles has more text on this than their normal site.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  3. misterjuiceman

I can't add anything more to my signature; I hit the limit. You should add it to yours.

4. milw50717

Just trying to make sure you have everything covered in your sig. Fair and balanced.

1 person likes this.
  5. misterjuiceman

It was a tough call in terms of what to put in and what to leave out. I put a lot of thought into the curation of the links in my signature, but I think I'm happy with it at this point. My only regret is that I couldn't also get this video in it:

[​IMG]

6. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

We have that kit in stock. Thanks for reminding me Mil

7. milw50717

Leaving out something recommended by the leather supplier and the manufacturer seems rather a large gap.

8. misterjuiceman

I have nothing against the product, but it's not really a necessary item, compared to Flavacol. CXL is hot stuffed with beef tallow, bee's wax and many other lipids, so it doesn't really need that sort of thing. Personally I prefer using beef tallow, anyway, but there's not really a great place to get it online.

edit: There is.

9. milw50717

Contains pretty much everything you need to care for your boots and is recommended by both the leather supplier and the boot manufacturer. You get that and you are set.

Maybe just link to the MPB oil and dressing ?

You can make your own tallow from suet.

10. misterjuiceman

Wolverine isn't the only boot manufacturer that makes CXL (and shell) boots, and of course my signature is visible elsewhere, so I've also weighed in the recommendations of Viberg, Ron Rider, et al. Either way, I mention Obenauf's LP (which I own and have used), in my FAQ.

I've found that the processed tallow lasts much longer. I'm also a lard enthusiast.

11. milw50717

So, why not mention MBP in your Wolverine 1K FAQ ?

12. misterjuiceman

I've added it to the FAQ.

13. Froosh

Froosh Well-Known Member

32 oz of Venetian! I'd imagine that's more than anyone will ever need in a lifetime. Anyone in the GVR want to split one?

14. misterjuiceman

You could always put it in jars, and give it to loved ones as gifts.

15. anrobit

anrobit Well-Known Member

"Honey I bought you some VSC"

16. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

So why are you making a Wolverine 1K care FAQ, specifically?

Your agenda just makes me [​IMG]

Nick has never posited the logic behind his VSC endorsement. Similarly, he never gave logic behind being against Lexol use on shell. It's likely VSC has just been the default product on hand since before Nick even began Culinary school, as VSC and Horween are from Chicago. He openly admits there are many alternatives, yet you choose to champion VSC quite aggressively.

Crane's created a FAQ as a service to consumers.

I really don't understand why you're going so HAM on shoe care on the forum.

Can you post some pics of you W1K's?

17. Pecan89

Pecan89 Well-Known Member

I have the 32oz can of VSC I don't imagine I'll ever use all of that shit. Also the MPB conditioner and oil up there and Obeanaufs oil and LP. VSC is the only one of those three that after use boots will show water spots from walking through the rain. But it does leave leather looking and feeling as good as/ better than the other 2

18. anrobit

anrobit Well-Known Member

As a counterpoint, I'm not sure what the difference is between Crane's making an FAQ and misterjuiceman making an FAQ. Both are individuals, making an FAQ about boots.

As to your point on the logic behind the VSC endorsement, there seem to be different standards for following a manufacturer recommendation. Nick recommending VSC should be held on equal grounds as DFW recommending GlenKaren and Wolverine recommending MPB. All of them should be investigated for reasoning, not simply accepted at face value.

All of this is still relevant to 1ks, because good luck taking care of leather without knowing something about leather care.

19. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

Ever hear of making a deal and going to bed with each other?

20. misterjuiceman

Been there done that.

1 person likes this.