1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. anrobit

anrobit Well-Known Member

Perhaps you should read around about leather quality and learn for yourself instead of mocking others, which you seem to enjoy doing frequently. You seemed to have no problem telling him there was nothing wrong with the boots based on those pictures.

Just because you know how to hike in expensive boots does not mean you know anything about leather or its care.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

Perhaps you should learn how to keep things in perspective. The requirements for horse tack are different than the requirements of what's needed for boot leather. What's considered inferior in the tack world would be absolute overkill for a boot. Same goes for various price points in a product. You don't get vintage Dom Perignon for the price of Budweiser. As far as your comments about whether or not I know how to care for decent leather my response is simple. I do and if you don't like it then tough shit. Same goes for whether or not I know a thing or two about full grain leathers.

3. katabatic

katabatic Well-Known Member

Here are my boots this morning.

[​IMG]

smith899, your boots look fine.

4. anrobit

I absolutely know how to keep things in perspective. There are things that are normal for a good piece of chromexcel and things that are not. That wrinkling is not normal for a good part of the hide and will affect longevity, but it is up to the consumer to decide whether he or she is willing to accept it.

Wolverine's aren't at Budweiser pricing. For what it's worth, most 1ks don't have this wrinkling issue, and only one pair that I've come across has done so. That indicates that it is not normal.

Again, there is no need to attempt to ridicule anyone. That just makes you look childish.

5 people like this.
  5. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

6. katabatic

katabatic Well-Known Member

@MarioImpemba - Nice collection! The top left photo -- are those the red Krause model?

1 person likes this.
  7. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Well-Known Member

8. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

Thanks! Ya buddy - Krause's when they were on sale for $150 or whatever it was at that one AE outlet for seconds. Mine came in with that nice gash on the toe. My buddy's were flawless. I ended up selling them, along with every other boot in the pics except the W1K classics.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  9. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Well-Known Member

This debate is precisely why I buy clothes made only of the finest horse buttocks in the world.

1 person likes this.
  10. clintfisher

clintfisher Member

11. smith899

smith899 Member

Okay I didn't mean for all of this to blow up. Crane, I am sending you the boots tomorrow. I really appreciate your willingness to grant me a return. I will be checking later in the week to ensure I got my money back. Again, thank you for allowing me to return the boots.

12. Crane's

Nice double standards you practice there. You can dish it out but can't take it? Perhaps you need to choose your fights more wisely. Oh and what were you saying about creasing again? Now I'm really laughing at your superior intellect and knowledge. LOL!

I'm also fond of comments that start off with, "Not to stir the pot". O'Rly? Yes you did. ROFL!

13. Akeem

Akeem Well-Known Member

Chromexcel creases like a m--f---ker. It really looks terrible on dressy boots. More so when the fit/last is not right for your feet. I think people should know what to expect when you buy something. 1k boots look like shitkickers after a couple wears. But that's the look people are going for. But that crease does look worse than normal creasing. Probably a combination of bad leather and poor fit. I've seen Allen Edmonds seconds that have that similar appearance at the outlets.

14. nevereast

nevereast Well-Known Member

Dude, just a tip, and it's coming from someone who agrees with you on care and usage of these boots:

When I first found this thread, I wa extremely excited to find a small store like yours that I could support. I would have gone out of my way to buy from you.

Over the past few months, your posts have been by far the most condescending and rude out of any ones, in any thread. Everyone who disagrees with you or is less knowledgable is an idiot, and you are either completely dismissive or rude them. You get defensive over the smallest things and start spewing about how you've sold boots for 1049938 years and kick rocks and shit and therefore everyone is a fucking idiot except for you.

I have never seen someone talk to potential customers (and even worse, people who have recently bought boots from you) like they are a fucking pain in your ass.

I don't know if you have a boss, but If I was your boss and you acted the way you do posting under the name of my store, I would flip a shit.

If any other vendor on any car forum or anything I've been on acted even half as badly as you do to its customer base, that place would flop.

Not that I think you would care, but I am not interested in purchasing any products from your store anymore purely for this reason

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    6 people like this.
  15. anrobit

I'm not fighting any fight, simply pointing out the truth. I know this is "your" thread Crane's but that doesn't mean you should just tell people things that are blatantly inaccurate. I've had multiple pairs of CXL shoes. Only one creased that way, and after speaking to the manufacturer, they told me it should never have left the factory.

This boot was taken back by OSB.

I don't care if you insult me, I've experienced much worse. I just expect you to address my points, but I suppose that's too much to ask. Nor is it that hard to not be exceedingly rude to customers and treat everyone like dirt. Nobody cares how long you've been selling boots or wearing them. Most salespeople I've talked to know nothing about leather or it's care.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  16. striker

striker Well-Known Member

Just get it from Nordstroms. Nobody should be out of money and still have to put up with shit.

17. Crane's

Oh I get it. I'm supposed to just let really bad advice, inaccurate information and the like go unchecked. Is that how it's supposed to go nevereast? Let's play a stupid game. Let's say I let some really bad advice go by and say nothing. With that in mind you go do it and royally fuck your boots up and then post about it complaining. How would you feel if I then decided to chime in and tell you that you shouldn't have done that and then told you why? Then what? I get blamed for not saying something? Yeah, damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I'm also not interested in pleasing everyone. That's an exercise in futility, especially when dealing with unrealistic expectations and inordinate obsessions.

Anrobit, I'm not going to address your points. All you've done is made some claim that the leather is inferior and will cause all kinds of structural malfunctions. From what I see over there in the OSB thread their CXL boots do the same thing as the 1Ks. As a matter of fact your comment about the CXL leather being inferior was retorted with a never heard that one before remark. If this was more than a known cosmetic issue there should be all kinds of pics and info of boots that are shredded and suffered other massive structural failures. If that's the case then it should be really easy for you to come up with all kinds of real life examples to back your claim. Provide that evidence and I might listen to what you have to say. If not then my general thought on you being nothing more than a shit stirrer remains.

18. Crane's

Nobody is out any money. Learn how to fucking read before you make a comment.

19. anrobit

It's possible to disagree with others or correct them without personally attacking them. Also, what bad advice is going on here?

And that's certainly the easy way out. Again, if it isn't an issue, why have multiple manufacturers told me that it is an error and should not have left the factory due to structural reasons, even when I didn't even own a pair of shoes from them? Why are these issues found less and less as you move up in price point?

It is a long term issue. No decent shoe or boot will fall apart in a year. However, if it's a difference in one or two years of life, why say it's normal?

20. Crane's

Let me give you some inside information about manufacturers. They would rather take a loss than deal with unreasonable or obsessive complaints.

OSB has been around for a while. So have the 1Ks, so have CXL boots in general. Again show me the real life evidence that this supposed inferior leather issue is a problem.

Do I really need to explain why things are different as price points go up? Just for snicks why did some of Mario's hand grades show some really intense creasing and wrinkling while lesser grades did not? As it stands there's really no evidence that supports the claim that this wrinkling is nothing more than a natural material reacting to an individual's wear pattern and that's all.

How many times does this have to be explained?