1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

2. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

I've Sno-Sealed my W1K CXL's and Shell Cordovan 721's in my oven, and both are more than capable of achieving good shine or sheen. If anything, melting wax into the boot only makes it easier to get a high shine from, at least in my experience. I haven't found any conditioning or weatherproofing treatment that can't be tailored around to achieve whatever degree of sheen or shine you desire. A little kiwi wax and elbow grease and you can shine pretty much anything, if you're inclined. My W1K CXL's in the pic actually have some Obenauf's HD LP on them, too, and it didn't stop me from the results shown.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I use Alden's leather defender and Alden's cordovan creme on my Alden NST's. I really like the Alden cordovan creme on shell cordovan, and have since used it on all my cordovan shoes for a deep matte sheen. The Alden defender spray really cuts down on the welting when you're in rain, as recommended by sevenfoldtieguy.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Well-Known Member

Mario, I gives my boots the same treatment. :fistbump:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. gfloridafan93

gfloridafan93 Well-Known Member

Everyone has mentioned that a brannock device is the best way to determine your size for these boots. After I find my brannock size, is that the size I buy, or does everyone then take a half size off? Or a full size? I just don't want to have to constantly ship boots back that don't fit, and there's nowhere around me that sells them.

5. anrobit

anrobit Well-Known Member

It depends on your personal preference. I personally size down 3/4 of a size from Brannock

6. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

The two size numbers (OAL length size, arch length size) and the width as measured on a Brannock is the info I need to know in order to make a recommendation. Detailed instructions on what to do before you get measured are posted on CranesBoots.com.

Don't forget there's a sale on and the magic code is 20TODAY

7. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Nice ninja edit. The original one made me [​IMG]

8. gfloridafan93

I just measured my brannock measurements. Here's what they currently are: length 7 1/2,ball measurement was 8 and my foot is narrow.

9. Crane's

Given your measurements the size 8 would be a good fit. Basically if the length numbers don't match your size is the larger of the two. You're short toed so you would have a lot more forward space in the tow box which is to be expected. You indicated you are already have a size 8 boot. It's been my experience that the smaller sizes are pretty much TTS while the larger sizes tend to be about a half size big. You said in your email that you think the boot fits loose. You have narrow feet and that;s where your problem lies IMO. Thicker socks and and insole can help with this and that's the route I would recommend. Going down in size would be very risky in your case. Going down in size moves the flex point backwards which could lead to having that reinforced toe box digging into the top of your foot. If your numbers were reversed I would say you could go down a half size. There's plenty of forward room in the toebox and given you're intended use I think you could get away with it.

10. gfloridafan93

Okay thank you. I guess another issue is that I am kind of annoyed with so much toe room. I get boots are roomy, but the 8s were definitely more roomy than I expected. Is there a way to shrink the toe room with insoles or anything? I'm just thinking there is way too much room in my toes. Thank you for your help.

11. Crane's

Forward no. For the width socks and an insole can help.

12. gfloridafan93

Will I get used to the extra toe room? I think I am going to try the 7.5 to see where the foot pressure is and how they fit before I make a final decision. It doesn't hurt to try them out. Thank you for your replies. I can't wait to wear these boots.

13. loug

loug Well-Known Member

Bunch up some newspaper put into the toe of the boot and hike on. Read about this being done back in the day.

14. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Thing I don't think about - space in the toe of my boots.
    Thing I do think about - no space in the toe of my boots.

Thought I'd throw these products out there so you guys can obsess for a few hundred pages...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    lefty

15. Jdub6

Jdub6 Well-Known Member

Shout out to Haberdash. Received some defective 1000 milers and they were more than accommodating. All the best to their shop.

16. Pecan89

Pecan89 Well-Known Member

Can confirm newspaper in toe technique. Very effect

1 person likes this.
  17. gfloridafan93

How long do you guys leave obenauf oil or other boot oils on your boot before wiping it off?

18. Crane's

LOL!

A couple of minutes, then wipe them down and give them a quick buff.

19. marmot8

marmot8 Well-Known Member

Good question, interested in the same

20. MM730

MM730 Member

Hello everyone, I am a late comer from HK and would like to get a pair of 1k mile boot.
    But HK is lack of showroom and I would like to have the colour which near to my RW Beckman cigar colour showing below...
    What colour will you guys recommend ? Brown , Rust or Cordovan No.8??
    [​IMG]