1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. newbie91

newbie91 Member

1 person likes this.
  2. tmchow

tmchow Well-Known Member

My 1k rusts arrived from Crane's the other day. Two coats of obenauf's boot oil, followed the next day by two coats if obenauf's LP. The process darkened it less than I was expecting to based on previous threads. However, I do like them darker than the original color so everything is good :)

I'd like to shine them up a bit, but not a military shine. What product should I use?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. michaeljohnr

michaeljohnr Well-Known Member

I used a horsehair brush after the LP and it put a decent shine on mine. It doesn't approach polish, but looks good. Have you tried that?

4. tmchow

tmchow Well-Known Member

I did but perhaps I didn't brush long enough? It didn't seem to shine up at all. Is there some particular technique?

5. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

Nothing for a while, just wear them. It is a useless endeavor to attempt to shine them right after oil and LP.

6. michaeljohnr

michaeljohnr Well-Known Member

Listen to Crane's.

He is the forum expert on these boots.

7. loug

loug Well-Known Member

used this method in the past but didn't care for the shined boot look.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  8. Mr M

Mr M Well-Known Member

For the rust, you may want to wax it later with neutral colour to keep the original colour unchanged. Similar to the spit shine method, after waxing the whole boot and brushing off the excess with horse hair brush, wipe the boots lightly with wetted cotton balls (with water) and leave the boots to dry.

Don't brush it as it will removed the wax shine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  9. IronStyle

IronStyle Well-Known Member

Received my rust boots from Cranes! Here they are after a brush and dose of Montana Pitch Blend (waterproofing isn't for me):

[​IMG]

One question I have is about the balance between the heel and sole on the right boot. Here's a pic of the heel when the sole is fully on the ground so it does wobble because it's uneven. Only the corner of the heel touches the ground.

[​IMG]

This seems quite uneven especially for first quality and not sure if it will affect my gait over time or affect how the boots wear. Thoughts?

10. Crane's

11. IronStyle

Thanks for your input and good news! Out of curiosity, if you've seen this before, will it remedy itself and become balanced after walking in them and getting my weight distributed over the boot, or just will stay wobbly but not a problem? Also, after a few months of wear and getting the sole rough and worn a bit, I plan to get half soles applied.

As an aside, does putting this under my foot in the boot as I walk act as a good luck charm and ensure my boots never crease ever?

[​IMG]

12. Crane's

LOL! No but they do make for an alright key ring. The boot is going to break in and form to your gait and foot. This is a complete non issue.

13. IronStyle

Thanks again for your expertise.

Here's my other piece that is now a year old from when I bought my 1000 mile in brown. This one shall join its ranks!

[​IMG]

14. ac_slater

ac_slater Well-Known Member

Just curious Crane's, did you ever get those 7 & 1/2's I returned for exchange? Didn't get an email so I wanted to make sure all was well.

Merry Christmas btw.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  15. edubs01

edubs01 Well-Known Member

When is the next DOTD? I need a pair of Black 1ks.

16. Pecan89

Pecan89 Well-Known Member

Key ring thing is a good idea.

Also got some Venetian Shoe cream today. Has a strong polish petroleum kinda smell. Doesn't effect the color as much and seems to have a waxy feel once applied. Probably would be a fine product for a lot of you guys who expect lighter use.

Also got some HdLP and Oil from obenaufs. That's what I plan on using in the 1ks but won't do that till tomorrow as I'm waiting for my boots to dry from a washing with Fiebings saddle soap. Sastified with how well that product cleans the boots. Really good a must have.

17. Crane's

That's enough of a reason not to use it.

18. loug

loug Well-Known Member

Put mine on a neck chain and gave it to my girlfriend. She said she liked it.

19. Pecan89

Pecan89 Well-Known Member

I wish I had a better way to describe the Venetian. This isn't a good description and I feel like it'll be better on dressier stuff but it almost reminds me of silver polish or like fine rubbing compound or maybe a strong show polish smell. Its a sharp odor. I got the big 32 oz can so I'm gonna have to find something to do with it

Someone should voulenteer to send Crane the small bottle

I used some on a pair of my brothers shoes and the shoes felt noticeably better very waxy and smooth

20. milw50717

milw50717 Well-Known Member

Is it a turpentine smell ?

It has been suggested that Venice Turpentine (from the Western Larch) is an ingredient and may give the product its name.

The $64K question is - Is it just a cream polish or is it also a conditioner ?

Some say it conditions, but I don't see any claims about that from the manufacturers.

[​IMG]

Image from http://oakstreetbootmakers.com/venetian-shoe-cream

Maybe I take that back as it 'preserves'

[​IMG]

From http://independence-chicago.com/venetian-shoe-cream-neutral/

I believe Horween recommend it for some of their products, so there must be something to it, but what ?