• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

milw50717

Reaction score

Any suggestions?  I called STP and they offered me a full refund or a $50 credit if I wanted to keep them.  Their customer service has been awesome and has made me a life long customer of theirs. I don't want to be "that guy" who tries to get something for free but I really want to keep these boots(they don't have any more in stock in my size).  How much would a good cobbler charge to fix it and would 'restitching' it cause any more visual damage? 

Take them to a cobbler and ask them their thoughts as to a fix and what it might cost. Me I'd be returning them.

Pecan89

Reaction score
Wondering what the general consensus was on using an insert in the 1000 mile boot. Mine are pretty broken in now and the bed conforms to my foot so is it worth using a thin insert? Do they come out clean? Every insert I've ever used before either leaves residue on the orignal bed or slides around and ends up being more trouble then its worth.

striker

Reaction score
Whats your purpose of using inserts? Provide more comfort, adjust for volume/ size? Normally when people use inserts, they continue using it, replacing inserts as needed, so the residue is a non issue. If it slides, that means the size for the inserts is not right.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I just received my boots and while there are few blemishes on the shoe, the number of eyelets is different. The left has four eyelets while the right has three. Anyone else have this problem? I doubt it will affect how functional the boots are...but a little annoying. Worth returning/exchanging? I'm a little worried about ending up with something far worse.

LOL, wtf!? Pics! I would want replacements for sure.

milw50717

Reaction score

Wondering what the general consensus was on using an insert in the 1000 mile boot. Mine are pretty broken in now and the bed conforms to my foot so is it worth using a thin insert? Do they come out clean? Every insert I've ever used before either leaves residue on the orignal bed or slides around and ends up being more trouble then its worth.

I use inserts on pretty much all of my footwear to assist with comfort more than anything else. Some inserts do seem to move around underfoot more than others. I had a pair of gel heel inserts that drove me mad as they always worked themselves forwards as I walked as there was not enough adhesion to the shoe's inner sole. I replaced them with a pair of full length inserts that stay in place.

hoodyear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every insert I've ever used before either leaves residue on the original bed or slides around and ends up being more trouble then its worth.
I had a pair of gel heel inserts that drove me mad as they always worked themselves forwards as I walked as there was not enough adhesion to the shoe's inner sole. I replaced them with a pair of full length inserts that stay in place.

Double-sided tape. Leaves some residue but it comes up easy with a bit of goo gone.

Last edited:

milw50717

Reaction score

Double-sided tape. Leaves some residue but it comes up easy with a bit of goo gone.

Tried that and a few other things, but this insert had a ribbed gel surfaces and a strong desire to want move forwar. Whatever I tried, it would eventually break free and wiggle forward under the arch of my foot. I didn't try a really strong adhesive tape as I had the full length inner to hand and it was easier to swap it out.

Willie5566

Reaction score
Sorry for posting this because I am sure there is info on here already but 239+ pages is tough to navigate.

I am entering season 2 with my 1k's and I am interested in getting them re-soled. Any suggestions? I know vibram half sole is a popular. Is that the way to go? Any suggestions on a cobbler to use? I have no problem shipping them to someone reputable. I am very weary of using a hack on my favorite shoes.

tampatravel

Reaction score

Sorry for posting this because I am sure there is info on here already but 239+ pages is tough to navigate.

I am entering season 2 with my 1k's and I am interested in getting them re-soled. Any suggestions? I know vibram half sole is a popular. Is that the way to go? Any suggestions on a cobbler to use? I have no problem shipping them to someone reputable. I am very weary of using a hack on my favorite shoes.

B. Nelson in NYC is the place to go. They've been on the forum for years and Nick will take great care of your 1k's. You could even splurge and have him put Dainite soles on them...which I have to admit would look AWESOME. Send them in a wait about a month and you'll bet as good - if not better - than new.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/240245/b-nelson-does-a-great-job

deburn

Reaction score

Ok, I'm done with this piece of crap Sierra Trading Post sale of so-called "seconds." More like thirds, or fourths. It's ridiculous that they're selling these for ~250. I've now gone through 3 separate pair, each worse than the last. What a waste of time (Crane's was right) -- Here's the latest junker they sent

That's really awful. I got in on the seconds deal from STP for $135.00. The shoes were in great condition, and I know several others who are very happy with their purchase. Sounds like you had really bad luck

milw50717

Reaction score

Here's some inspiration for you - http://www.styleforum.net/t/163864/wolverine-1000-mile-boot-review/345#post_4146554

You could always do a normal leather resole and then add topy (or similar) rubber covering. The advantage here is that in future you just have to replace the heels and the topy and not the leather sole. However, Topys are not going to offer the same depth and types of grip pattern as a vibram sole. Vibram do a number of lite soles that will suit the weight and heft of the 1K, plus you can always go hipster and get them resoled with a Vibram Christy :D

Last edited:

cthip

Reaction score

B. Nelson in NYC is the place to go. They've been on the forum for years and Nick will take great care of your 1k's. You could even splurge and have him put Dainite soles on them...which I have to admit would look AWESOME. Send them in a wait about a month and you'll bet as good - if not better - than new.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/240245/b-nelson-does-a-great-job
Here's some inspiration for you - http://www.styleforum.net/t/163864/wolverine-1000-mile-boot-review/345#post_4146554

You could always do a normal leather resole and then add topy (or similar) rubber covering. The advantage here is that in future you just have to replace the heels and the topy and not the leather sole. However, Topys are not going to offer the same depth and types of grip pattern as a vibram sole. Vibram do a number of lite soles that will suit the weight and heft of the 1K, plus you can always go hipster and get them resoled with a Vibram Christy :D

b. nelson did mine as well. great job. photos here

http://www.styleforum.net/t/163864/wolverine-1000-mile-boot-review/1215#post_5400088

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, my brother picked up a pair of the STP for $135, and apart from a small nick in the leather at the back, they're good. He's very happy, and I'm happy for him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads