1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

Is there a point to anything you're saying or do you want to play a game in semantics?

2. Neognosis

Neognosis Well-Known Member

Yes, my points are:

1- I don't think you can "waterproof" leather with a room temperature solid without compromising its breatheablilty, (beeswax or not) and it seems completely unnecessary to do so at all for most people.
    2- Neatsfoot oil being bad for stitching is completely anecdotal and I've not seen anything to the contrary. I've also never seen any examples of it making leather rot or go rancid, though I'm eager to see some examples.
    3- Pure neatsfoot oil is easy to get. http://www.countrymax.com/Fiebing-s-100-Pure-Neatsfoot-Oil-Leather-Softener-12-Pint
    4- Pores in leather (or live skin) don't open or close with heat. http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/cleansing/myths/pores-in-hotter-water.htm. I suspect that warming up the leather really just liquifies the solid wax and loosens dirt in the leather, allowing the liquified wax to soak in to the leather.

3. cj10

cj10 Active Member

just receive the 1000 mile boot from amazon and it has lots of scratches/scuffs on em...how do i remove.....

4. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Well-Known Member

Give em a good brush first then come back to us if they're still there

5. cj10

cj10 Active Member

oil em leave it for 10 min den brush em right?
    can i use toothbrush?

6. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Well-Known Member

Don't oil then if you think you might have to return them. Just brush them, with a horsehair shoebrush. I shall give you the benefit of the doubt that the toothbrush question wasn't serious

3 people like this.
  7. Spyder187

Spyder187 Active Member

If the Goretex holes (which it does have and which can get plugged up with detergents and dirt) were larger than liquid water, then I would hazard to say it wouldn't be waterproof. Water vapor should be smaller than liquid water so you have an anomaly in your statement. A paradox if you will.

8. michaeljohnr

michaeljohnr Well-Known Member

I just received my boots from Crane's (No. 8 color.)

Tried them on, made sure everything was 100%, two applications of Obenauf's boot oil and.....Beautiful.

Pardon the reflection, I wanted to show how the oil darkened the soles and heel. It was a nice benefit of applying the oil.

The boot oil slightly darkened the No. 8 color of the boots, but I think in a good way.

It was really nice pre-application but in my opinion the oil added something good.

I'll let the oil do it's thing for a few days and hit them with the Obenauf's LP I purchased.

Thanks Crane's! You guys are awesome!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Iipe

Iipe Well-Known Member

Hey guys, can someone verify if the last is the same in the Courtlands and the Original 1000 Mile Boots?

I have a pair of the Courtlands, and I will order the Originals at some point. There aren't any local retailers that would carry those so that I could check the fit myself.

10. cthip

cthip Well-Known Member

Water molecules (whether liquid or vapor) are always made up of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, separated by bond lengths of about 84 picometers (picometers are 1000x smaller than nanometers). These bonds do bend, stretch, and vibrate with temperature and radiation (like IR), but this difference would be transient and minimal in comparison to the size of Goretex pores, which range from 60-90 microns (roughly one-million times larger than a water molecule.

11. Neognosis

I obviously mistakenly wrote it backwards.

12. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

I'm starting to miss the original shade of my Rust 1ks. They have developed their own patina but a few years of Obenauff's and regular wear have darkened them considerably. At this point, they're so easily mistaken for brown.

Can anything be done? Maybe cordovan polish?

13. nevereast

nevereast Well-Known Member

Pics?

14. Neognosis

What if you just wore them without doing anything to them? Would they eventually start to return to their original color if you stopped treating them?

15. BostonHedonist

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. nevereast

Damn those have been rode hard

Maybe clean them with something like saddle soap to pull all the oils out?

Or flip them for 100 bucks to a hipster and buy new ones

17. nevereast

And those look awfully dark for rusts when new... You sure they are rust?

18. BostonHedonist

It was late in the day using natural light for the "before pic," but yes, they're rust.

No way am I "flipping" them to some hipster. These boots have only just broken in!

19. Dtrickz

Dtrickz New Member

hey guys hows it going? Been looking at boots for awhile and finally bought a pair of the 1000 mile hartmann's in brown. Love the look and fit of the boot. Was just wondering what kind of products I should use on them to keep them looking great. They wont be wore much to work in as I paint cars and dont wanna run they're look. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

20. tmchow

tmchow Well-Known Member

Before everyone just tells you to read 312 pages of threads, here's the quick summary based on my reading of the threads (yes, it too me awhile). I’m not an expert, and am just trying my best to summarize, so if anyone has corrections, please holler.

- Cleaning: Lexol cleaner or kiwi saddle soap. Lots of debate on saddle soap, and less debate seems to be around lexol. Lexol is easy to use since it's a spray.

- Conditioning: Boot oil is highly recommended. Varying opinions but general consensus from all the threads is Obenauf's and Filson's boot oil are winners. Both will darken the leather. Lots of debate about Neatsfoot oil and whether it will eventually rot the boot stitching. Seems to be no consensus on the matter, but lots of people swear by it. If you go with Neatsfoot oil, make sure it's "pure" and not a compound. Whatever boot oil you use, 1 coat is minimum, many people do 2 coats. As mentioned, this will darken the leather so if you want to avoid that, then skip any of these products and the waterproofing ones. (Note, it will initially look darker at first, and after a few days, it will lighten up a bit but still be darker than before the oil application).

These are 2 alternatives to boot oil that seem to get mentioned:

Meltonian shoe cream -- comes in various colors so get the closest one to match you're actual boot color. Added advantage is that the coloring will help clean/fill in scuffs.
    Venetian Shoe Cream (aka "VSC") -- I've read so many glowing recommendations of this and people universally seem to say that it won't darken your boots.
    Lexol Conditioner -- this gets recommended as well, but from far fewer people. Doesn't mean it's not good, just that it doesn't seem to get as much love on the forums as the other options listed.

- Waterproofing: Further protection with intense waterproofing can be had through use of Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP (aka Obenauf's LP) or Sno-seal. Depending who you ask, you'll get different recommendations, but they all converge around these 2. There is debate on whether you need this at all if you aren't exposing your boots to the outdoors a lot (or water/snow). These will also darken the boots.

- Brush: Get yourself one or more horsehair brushes. If you're just using it to clean and buff non-colored washes, one brush should be OK. If you're using colors waxes/polishes, get one for each color to avoid any transfer.

Change history:
    - 2013-12-16: Added lexol conditioner as an option based on wdahab's recommendation.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    2 people like this.