• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

ChosenGSR

Reaction score
Yeah, that's fine (though various people's opinions will differ, and it won't be enough if really exposed to the elements).
Don't really plan on using these guys when it snows etc. Mostly in dry conditions. I'll go with my trusty Chippewas if the weather is not cooperating.

hxh_killua

Reaction score
Recently notice there's a scuff on the heel of my boots. It's so deep that you can see the black finish coming off and the beige leather underneath.

What's the recommended treatment?

tsekh

Reaction score

Recently notice there's a scuff on the heel of my boots. It's so deep that you can see the black finish coming off and the beige leather underneath.

What's the recommended treatment?

Sharpie.

Just kidding. Rub wax or cream polish that match the color of the leather to the cut/scuff. Let dry, and brush. Maybe repeat a few times. The idea is to let the "natural colored" leather absorbed the pigment.

Last edited:

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tsekh, what's a good cream / polish that matches the Wolverine's Cordovan no. 8 color?

tsekh

Reaction score

tsekh, what's a good cream / polish that matches the Wolverine's Cordovan no. 8 color?

I don't used any color specific polish with my 1000 mile boot and I mostly maintain them with boot oil. I used venetian shoe creme in the past which doesn't contain pigment and can give the boot a good shine if that is what you are after. I don't like how the 1000 boot looks when treated as dress boot, the toe box is too huge and it looks kind of silly when all polished up.

When my boot was cut and I needed to fill some pigment into the exposed leather (I applied only to that spot, not the whole boot), I just used what I had - Allen Edmonds burgundy cordovan care cream. It is designed specific for shell cordovan leather, not for CXL, so I won't recommend using it regularly for the 1000 mile boot although I am sure it won't harm the boot. For regular use, something like Allen Edmonds premium shoe polish in merlot will do the job (just $9 and free shipping on their website). I used their dark brown one for my brown 1000 mile boot in the past, but again, in the end I don't like the high shine on these boots and have used boot oil since then.

ChosenGSR

Reaction score
I don't used any color specific polish with my 1000 mile boot and I mostly maintain them with boot oil. I used venetian shoe creme in the past which doesn't contain pigment and can give the boot a good shine if that is what you are after. I don't like how the 1000 boot looks when treated as dress boot, the toe box is too huge and it looks kind of silly when all polished up.

When my boot was cut and I needed to fill some pigment into the exposed leather (I applied only to that spot, not the whole boot), I just used what I had - Allen Edmonds burgundy cordovan care cream. It is designed specific for shell cordovan leather, not for CXL, so I won't recommend using it regularly for the 1000 mile boot although I am sure it won't harm the boot. For regular use, something like Allen Edmonds premium shoe polish in merlot will do the job (just $9 and free shipping on their website). I used their dark brown one for my brown 1000 mile boot in the past, but again, in the end I don't like the high shine on these boots and have used boot oil since then.

I'm confused, just on the last page wdahab said that one should never use polishes with pigment in them on CXL?

digga

Reaction score
Kiwi "cordovan" wax will probably work fine. I use Kiwi black to fill in the gashes on my black pair... works well. You can probably get either color for $2 at the grocery store.

Last edited:

tsekh

Reaction score

I'm confused, just on the last page wdahab said that one should never use polishes with pigment in them on CXL?

I wouldn't if it wasn't necessary. If you pay attention to the discussion I was talking about adding pigment to the damaged spot of my boot where the leather was cut open.

This is the first time I have heard someone suggesting that polishes with pigment shouldn't be used on CXL. I have seen people recommend against using pigmented polish on shell cordovan, and that's because the shell cordovan leather is so dense and the pores are so tiny that the pigment cannot penetrate deep into the leather and would just sit on top. As a result the shine one gets using pigmented polish would look rather "artificial" and different from the shell cordovan deep glow that everyone loves. This wouldn't be a problem with CXL.

But as a general rule, I'd avoid using pigmented polish on any leather unless it is necessary (e.g. to cover up scuffs/cuts, or to reintroduce color into older leather).

Last edited:

poena

Reaction score
Received mine from STP.

They fit narrower than expected. How much will these stretch if any?

phazeonon

Reaction score
received mine from STP as well yesterday.

I was pretty surprised by the stubby toe areas, which is contrast to many pictures posted on the web..

does it flatten out a bit after some wears and creases over time?

poena

Reaction score
what laces is everyone using? I'm not a fan of the laces that they come with. The leather laces I've seen in some photos are good.

Are you guys wrapping it around the ankles or using the speed hooks?

lace length?

sklark23

Reaction score
Anyone not want their 7.5 in the tan addison or plain toe hit me up.

lwkeung

Reaction score
Got my order from STP as well.
Purchased the Brown laceup, but they sent me the Rust Emerson instead.
Unfortunately, it's too big, so before I return them, does anyone want to buy them from me? Asking for $175 + shipping.

SIze 8, brand new factory seconds, rust.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads