1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

It's going to get better. I'm going to start doing one day specials on who knows what in the USA 1K line. It won't be an everyday thing and if you miss the deal you miss the deal. So pay attention. LOL!

Oh I'm not worrying about your boots. They're yours not mine! One fine day in a land far far away you'll meet up with mid Missouri hot cattle pasture. Then you'll cry and sing the blues. Then again if you're like me you just won't care.

2. VirtruviusR

VirtruviusR Well-Known Member

Oh I know I need to give them some protection and nourishment, I just never got off my lazy ass to LP/Snoseal them before I left the states. So of course now that I see the need and want to get it done, I'm in a country where I can't read product labels worth a damn (drunk german I can do, technical labels I cannot) or buy some vaunted Obenauf's LP. Such is life.... I'm going on an expedition to find some Sonseal or something to protect against snowstorms I see in the near future ASAP, so there's that.

And I ran into some shitastic sweltering heat and humidity mucking around in Cyprus, so I had a minor oh-shit, I should take notice moment then. MUST FIX.

Bonus: 1k's in front of the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, moments before I ate judicious shit nearly wrecking the camera....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  3. Crane's

Oh an adventure abroad and wrecked cameras. This sounds like all the hallmarks of a Nat Geo behind the scenes story. Let's hear it.

4. VirtruviusR

VirtruviusR Well-Known Member

Haha Oh I wish. I've just been studying abroad the last few months and bouncing from place to place for debauchery and cultural enlightenment. I was walking around taking pictures with my stupid-big DSLR, trying to make the most of a beautiful sunset on the Bosporus from the Asiatic side of the Golden Horn when some asshat bumped into me while I was crossing the tram lines on the way to snap some seaside pictures.

Picture: 6'2" already clumsy skeleton flailing helplessly in slow motion on an active tram line in the most ungraceful of arcs, punctuated by a painful and sickening faceplant onto concrete - with the most beautiful sunset framing it in the background. Since I had the camera in my hands, I was unable - in the throes of my slow-motion, 6 foot fall from grace - to stop my fall/protect my face. Ended up with a nice scar to remind me of the dangers of haste (and the assholes you often end up sharing the street with - the irony is that the other dude was some nameless tourist too), and in the moment I had a massive golfball swelling of epic proportions where my right eyebrow was. It turned a nasty shade of green/blue pretty fast, which elicited some pretty funny reactions from other people. I had a blue/purple bruise on half my face for a good week, followed by a huge scab and the blood draining into my eye socket, giving the impression that someone had directed a fist into my face in a fit of drunken belligerence - this lasted a good 3 weeks - hilarity for everyone except me.

The camera ate it pretty hard too: the lens hood exploded into hundreds of tiny pieces (meh) and the tripod plate I had on the bottom took the brunt of the impact, but I still managed to totally fuck the VR motor and crack/dent the camera body (was only a D5100, but the lens is my baby: a Nikkor 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6). Still works fine, but is in bad need of an undoubtedly pricey service/repair that I've had to hold off on.

The cool part was I got to experience the genuine awesomeness of the local Turks, who couldn't have been more helpful despite me not understanding a word of Turkish and them a lick of English. A bunch of them near the marina swarmed me, took me into the back of their bodega-like store, got me some ice water, asprin, bandages and towels to clean up my very-fucked up face. This done completely through a combination of head nodding , pointing and gesticulating. So I managed to experience the two extremes of societal tendencies within the space of 5 minutes - asshole guy who couldnt give a shit that he had nearly just wrecked my face and just trundled on, and the most kindhearted bystanders who rushed to help me out. Pretty interesting experience.

4 people like this.
  5. Mr M

Mr M Well-Known Member

I saw an SBL bag owner also in Istanbul from Saddlebag Leather FB page.

[​IMG]

6. Crane's

Your misadventure sounds all too familiar. I have a few but managed to keep myself relatively harm free. The equipment not so. Believe it or not some of the Nat Geo guys have stories that sound a lot like yours. They just do it on top of some mountain in the Himalayas or some other remote exotic place. Your story also shows a commonality that extends across cultures. You have ignorant assholes and kindhearted strangers anywhere you go.

7. fathergll

fathergll Well-Known Member

Well the LP is really what I noticed if the application wasn't applied light/evenly on the first pass. I waited about 5 days and went to apply a second and a little heavier coating of LP and the boots soaked them up extremely nicely and pretty much had no uneven spots. Note these boots haven't been worn in the rain or any type of conditions as of yet. I think I wore them once. Just being extremely careful with them until Im confident on what they look like after sitting for a few days.

8. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Well-Known Member

I'm in and around Toronto as well, and haven't worn them since the snow hit. How has that been working out for you guys with the leather sole? I'm going to pop into the shoe repair store near the subway at Yorkdale and see what they're stocking. If they have snoseal or anything else useful i'll post it.

9. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Warning to everyone who wears the hell out of these;

Get a damn half-sole put on them. After 1 fall/winter/spring of daily wear, this is what I noticed today:

[​IMG]

I'm kinda ticked since I followed the "LP + wear the hell out of them they're boots you idiot" advice here, but didn't think much about the soles. Also pissed since I've had shit mall brand boots with soles that have lasted much longer with the same wear and less care, despite the much-ballyhooed repuation of 1k's here on SF.

How much does a re-soling cost? Any decent cobblers in SW Ontario?

10. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Well-Known Member

It's too bad the soles wore out quicker than you would have anticipated, but I don't think you should be overly concerned. Leather soles wear out, especially if you wore them in slightly wet weather, as suggested by the goal of wearing the hell out of them. Usually, you can feel the sole becoming soft just before a hole forms, but even then, it's normal to resole them as long as the uppers look nice. Depending on the extent to which you want to repair them (half sole, full sole, full restoration), your cost could be anywhere from $75 to $125.

11. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Good to know. I've never had proper leather-soled footwear before - these were my first "nice" boot purchase - so I should have paid more attention to it. I wore them through a full winter and did a lot of work in them too come spring so in retrospect its not surprising the sole got chewed up like it did. On top of that, even the uppers on mine look far more rough than the beauties in this thread, so I guess I have been pretty mean to them.

The heel looks fine, so I guess I'll just have to spring for a half-sole. Thanks for the info.

12. michaeljohnr

michaeljohnr Well-Known Member

Did you treat the soles as well as the uppers?

13. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

"Treat" as in applying LP/oil on the underside of the sole? No. I didn't do anything in particular to the sole, just wore them...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  14. michaeljohnr

michaeljohnr Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if an application or two of LP might have helped with extending the lifetime?

Maybe Cranes will chime in here and offer his knowledge. He beats these boots and as far as I have seen, has never had this happen.

15. Crane's

I tore up the soles on my brown 1Ks in about the same time. I had them resoled and added the Vibram Raptor half sole and lugged heel plate. On my other 1Ks I wore down the sole a bit and then had them half soled as a matter of course. Leather soles don't last long in wet soggy conditions. Especially if you wear them day in and day out without letting them dry. Since I did this it looks like I can get around 3 years out of the half soles before they're worn out and need to be replaced. 25 or 30 bucks every few years versus 100 bucks a year. No brainer there.

16. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

17. kasperoff

kasperoff Member

Anyone bought these boots in the UK?

I'd love to buy a pair, but going by the comments on sizing, I think I should try them first. However, I'm struggling to find a stockist in the North of England (I live in Leeds).

I've noticed that Revolve will ship to the UK, but I'd have to be pretty sure of my size before hitting the button. I tried some Red Wing chukka's on a few weeks back and a UK 7.5 seemed OK (I'm normally a UK 8). Has sizing down a half size worked for everyone else?

Width wise, I'm on the wider side of normal I would say. I've never had issues with pinching before. How has everyone found the width fittings in these boots?

18. Mr M

Mr M Well-Known Member

I'm going to UK end of this year for my PhD study in Newcastle Upon Tyne. I think it would be cheaper to get the boots in the UK rather than from the abroad due to the custom tax. I got one half size down but will get the next one TTS because feet then to swell after a long stand or walking. Plus with thick socks it feel a bit snug.

http://www.stuartslondon.com/wolverine-1000-mile-m117

19. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Well-Known Member

They can't tax the shoes on your feet!

Disclaimers:
    This argument doesn't work as well for someone bringing more than one pair of shoes.
    Though the prices on the site you linked are reasonable, they're still about $45-90 above U.S. prices. That may or may not be more than VAT or customs fees.

20. kasperoff

kasperoff Member

Thanks guys.

The Revolve website allows you to see the prices in British Pounds, and are inclusive of all taxes. Delivery is free. The big US clothing stores are starting to do this. I've bought from J Crew and the price at the checkout was the price I paid. No issues with local taxes. Nordstom will do it too on most items, but not shoes.

I stand to save around $90 getting them shipped over from the US (once Revolve get more stock!) There is just the issue of sizing! They will deliver for free, but I would have to pay for any returns so I need it to be right first time. Trouble is, I can't find these boots locally.

1 person likes this.