1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

Hmmm, it would be extremely odd that it would be a defect since the problem area is in the same exact spot on two sets of boots. This really could be a matter of breaking them in. What weight sock are you wearing?

2. benjamin550

benjamin550 Member

I know, my thought too. With the last pair I tried every different weight I had, and then some. I kept thinking it was my sock bunching up so I tried everything, bigger, smaller, thicker, thinner. Right now just a medium weight smart wool.

When I took the first pair to the cobbler, he said that the seam was unusually thick. He tried everything he could to reduce it, but no luck so I finally sent them back.

3. Crane's

Yeah this is an odd one. I can't remember what went on with the foot bed when I got my boots. I know it formed to my foot and all was good but that took some time. Since my little fiasco a few years ago where I wrecked the plantar fascia in my foot there have been thin gel insoles in my boots. Insoles are an option for you or you can go "naked" for a few weeks and see if this settles down. I would call Wolverine and let them know the same thing is happening but you want to wear them for a few weeks or a month to see if it's just a matter of the foot bed doing it's thing.

4. loug

loug Well-Known Member

Was thinking plantar fasiitis reading above. Went through a bad spell of this type of injury last winter with some soft work boots. Seems like solid inner and outer soles work the best. The softer the soles or the use of soft inner soles makes things worse in my case. Been looking at the cork inner soles but the way the look lots of room in the shoe is necessary. Walking about 3 miles a day, good shoes with good support are needed. Not soft pillows tied to the feet.

5. nevereast

nevereast Well-Known Member

Crane's:

Regarding the horween predator leather on the wolverine Austens. Would you protect them using the same method as the cxl?

I'm looking for a boot that will take the abuse of daily dog park and inclement weather through the winter, and still look good as a casual dressier boot. Anything better? I like the height for deeper snow and he half sole.

6. Crane's

I sure would. It's a waxed leather. I think they'll serve you well for what you have in mind. Make sure to get yourself some good thick Merino wool socks too.

7. nevereast

Thanks. Didn't know if the texture on the leather would be ruined by beeswax. I tried googling it, but where can I look into waxed leather? Will it absorb obenaufs like cxl?

I wear a 9 in 1000 miles. Should I half size up for thicker socks or stick with 9's and let them stretch? I could get away with 8.5 and dress socks in my 1000 miles. Too loose for thin socks in 9

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  8. Crane's

If they're your Winter boots a 9.5 might be the way to go. If I were to get something specifically for Winter I would have to go up a half size. I would wear a wicking sock under an arctic weight 100 percent Merino wool sock. If I tried that with my 8.5s (TTS) it would be a tight fit and I would loose the insulation value of the sock.

Horween has a data sheet on the leathers somewhere on their site.

9. allday

allday Member

Any specific insole insert or heel grip that's recommended? My boots fit well with double socks but that becomes uncomfortable quick.

10. milw50717

milw50717 Well-Known Member

You need to find something that will work for you. Inserts and cups come in a variety of sizes, depths, etc. You are going to be in best position to choose something suitable for your needs. As long as you go with one of the big name brands - dr scholls, superfeet, etc you should be OK.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  11. benjamin550

benjamin550 Member

Crane's-

I contacted Wolverine, and sent them a photo of the lump in the footbed. They only have a one time exchange policy, but they offered to pay for a cobbler to do any repairs to make the boot more comfortable, reguardless of whether to boot was defective or not. Ill be in London in a couple weeks, so if it hasn't improved by then, lll see what I can do. Here's the photo. There is the same lump in the left boot, albeit smaller. Does this look normal to everyone?

[​IMG]

12. Crane's

It looks like it's forming to your gait and foot. I just pulled an insole out of my boot and the foot bed has molded itself to match the shape of the insole complete with the design on the bottom of it.

13. nevereast

You don't have any in brown, do you?

14. milw50717

15. milw50717

Try with an additional insole. A full or half insole should cover that area nicely. A thicker insole will offer your foot more protection from this area.

16. nevereast

17. milw50717

Have a look on their blog for some snippets of info - http://horween.com/blog/

18. Crane's

What in brown exactly.

19. nevereast

Sorry. Wolverine Austens 8in

20. Crane's

Not in stock but we can get them in a few days. Call Dave at the store for more info and pricing. 573-254-3311