1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. loug

loug Well-Known Member

Had the same problem with the top digging into the top of the toes. Loosening them a good bit eliminated the problem. Read somewhere if there is pain in the top of the foot the laces are too tight.

2. milw50717

milw50717 Well-Known Member

I prefer the 1Ks to the current Beckman in a number of ways - softer leather, CXL looks better when scuffed, speed hooks, etc. Don't get me wrong, I still love the RW 9011, and I do own a pair, but wish they had stuck with using CXL (boots were then called Gentleman Travellers) instead of switching to their own featherstone leather (boots now called Beckmans).

Not sure what the ronaldcore means, ronaldcorps maybe ?

3. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

Ronald McDonald; clown shoes.

The bulbous toe of Red Wings never grew on me. I thought it looked terrible under my pants always.

I go back and forth on if I prefer all eyelets or speedhooks; I find it's quicker to tie all-eyelets boots with long enough laces that don't come out when loosened.

I much preferred the commando-like sole on the Beckman's.

My W1K's are at the local shoe repair getting commando rubber and heel put on the original sole; who knows how that'll work out. Dude didn't have much in the way of sole replacements. Dah well.

I actually really, really like the SB Foot leathers. I like the now-ubiquitous CXL, too, but the SB Foot leathers seem more rugged and true to work-boots. The copper rough & tough looked amazing, too; more character than natty CXL IMO (blasphemous?). One of these days I'll get around to buying some Red Wing moc-toe's...

[​IMG][​IMG]

The W1K's still are more comfortable than just about anything I own, though.

4. loug

loug Well-Known Member

Added some black Corcoran 10" non steel toed jump boots to the collection today. The ones with Vibram rubber lugged soles. Walked about two miles to the store and they are more comfy then my 1K's. Taking forever to break in the thicker leather the1K's are made with.

5. malaysian

malaysian Active Member

I know this may some dumb, so pardon me for asking this. I'm new to Wolverines, or any other boots as a matter of fact.
    Just bought a pair of 1000miles in brown the other day and recently used Heavy Duty LP on them and now they lost their golden brown look and looks to a more darker monotone brown color. Will this shade of brown stay forever or will it lighten up slightly or something? Any way I can brighten them up?

1 person likes this.
  6. hoodyear

hoodyear Well-Known Member

They will lighten up slightly as they dry, and they won't look quite so monotone once they get some wear on them. But the truth is they are going to darken over time no matter what. 1ks get better with age; have faith. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. malaysian

malaysian Active Member

Alright thanks man :) Sounds rather promising!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  8. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight. The 9s feel comfortable with no foot pain at all. The 8.5s are snug and hurt your feet. And they hurt before your feet swell from walking or standing on your feet all day correct? Your complaint is a roomy toe box and slight heel slippage which by the way is exactly how a workboot is supposed to fit. You already answered your own question so why are you insisting that the smaller size is about right?

2 people like this.
  9. allday

allday Member

[​IMG]

The main problem I have with the 8.5's when I walk and bend my foot the leather creases and digs into the top part of my toes whereas the 9's are so roomy it barely comes near hitting my feet, I have to try to wiggle my toes as much as I can just to hit the roof of the toe box. All in all the 8.5's fit me better if this problem will eventually stretch and go away and the 9's are just safe because they are really big, but I'm just concerned since pretty much 90% of everyone went 1/2 size down. Did you stay TTS or did you go half a size down?

10. milw50717

Tight jeans cutting off blood supply .....

11. Crane's

No they don't fit better. They are too small and that's that. I did not size down. All my 1K boots are my measured size (TTS)

I think so. I'm loosing patience with this kind of sizing question crap.

2 people like this.
  12. allday

allday Member

Well if I do keep the bigger size what do you recommend I buy to prevent heel slippage?

13. Mr M

Mr M Well-Known Member

Tie the boots laces tighter?

14. milw50717

You can adjust using combinations of thicker/thinner socks and thicker/thinner (full-length or half-length) insoles, heel cups, etc, etc.

15. wdahab

wdahab Well-Known Member

I will just say that what some people just can't recognize is that not all boots will have a size that properly fits you. Some people might be better served to realize that W1K's just might not work for them, period, rather than trying to figure out one that works. Not all shoe lasts are meant for all foot shapes (though I'd say that W1K lasts are more versatile than, say, Alden's TruBalance last, which doesn't fit me at any size or width).

4 people like this.
  16. Crane's

As I stated earlier slight heel slippage in a boot is normal. Others have suggested solutions to your "problem". If you think the problem with the toe box reinforcement digging into your toes doesn't convince you that the boot isn't the right size then nothing will.

I agree with this. The only boot or shoe that would fit perfectly would be one that is specifically made to your feet. I have one pair of boots that would qualify as such and those would be my custom fitted Limmer mountain climbing boots.

17. benjamin550

benjamin550 Member

Hi Guys,

I posted this a couple of months ago and never got a response, I thought I'd try again.

I received a pair of 1000 miles and wore them for a few days, and they were great. Around the 3rd day though they developed a really annoying lump right under the arch of my right foot, just before my heel, like my sock was bunching up. Took it too a cobbler and he said the leather seam was too large and should have been taken care of better. Sent them back to Wolverine and they sent me a new pair. Now, Ive had the new pair for 2 days, and the same problem! I can actually see where the seam makes a bulge in the leather. Has anyone else had this happen?

To my knowledge, I dont have weird feet or anything...

18. loug

loug Well-Known Member

I'd say try to break them in. The sole is leather and will eventually form to your foot. This problem was in two pairs of name brand work boots made in China. Both pair had inner or outer sole problems, never took the time to figure it out because the soles are all man made materials. Also have a two pair of walking shoes also made in China that have hot spots in the soles. Looks like the gel layer in one pair is about 1 1/2" wide and can be felt under the ball of the foot. From now on only American made shoes and boots for me. Have about $450 wasted on those boots and shoes. Trying to find someone that wants to try using them, one pair of boots might be taken. Not sure yet.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  19. Crane's

What model boot do you have?

20. benjamin550

benjamin550 Member

The regular 1000 mile. In wide. Ive tried on every size possible, and these fit like a glove, so I know its not a fit thing. Just not sure if they'll break in past the point of this being really annoying. Just the right foot on both pairs, left feels great.

Kohl