1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. tricky

tricky Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice guys

2. red81

red81 Well-Known Member

crane's, or anyone, do you know if there will be a 1000 mile with a captoe? or austen with captoe?

3. Winterbourne

Winterbourne Well-Known Member

The Krause 1000 Mile is pretty sharp looking. And for shell, the 744 fits the bill.

4. Winterbourne

Winterbourne Well-Known Member

I own three 1000 Mile boots and only the rust, just the right boot, creases in a similar fashion to yours, but certainly not to that extent. If it's flimsy it makes me wonder if too much oil/conditioner was applied to it.

Once I started using shoe trees I noticed the amount of creasing was greatly reduced.

5. slide13

slide13 Well-Known Member

BlahBet - this is just an issue with Chromexcel leather in my experience. Sometimes the hide just ends up wrinkling this way and sometimes it can feel and be a little thin and flimsy in those areas, other times the thickness seems fine but it's just incredibly soft and pliable. It's one reason I'm going to try to not by CXL boots without handling them in person anymore. I ordered a pair of J Crew Indy boots a while ago and they had absolutely horrible wrinkling one piece of leather used for the shaft of the boot. Rest of the boot was fine. This was as bad as I've ever seen CXL and it felt almost paper thin in spots. Returned them to J Crew after just 1 wear once I saw how bad it was.

With CXL it's a bit of a gamble because I've seen pieces look great until their worn a little and then they get some funky creasing. I've looked at enough that I feel like I'm starting to be able to discern what will be good and bad before truly wearing them or creasing them. Just recently had a chance to pick up a pair of Roy boots from Context and they are the best CXL boots I've ever handled. Absolutely beautiful and consistent pieces of leather with very subtle creasing. It was nice to be able to see and inspect the boots in person before pulling the trigger and I couldn't be happier with these boots.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  6. tsekh

tsekh Well-Known Member

CXL can has have some pretty "thick" creases. I have two pairs of 1000 mile boots, and one pair of them crease rather differently on different foot. They look fine eventually as I wear them longer and both feet got more creases. But yours are really a bit extreme. I would contact Wolverine and send them the photos to see if they can do anything for you.

7. fried_eggs

fried_eggs Member

I bought a pretty used pair on ebay, and the left boot has that type of creases (worse than that actually) and the right boot is perfectly fine. I have no idea if the previous owner used trees, conditioned or whatever so who knows. I got them for $70 though so I'm happy :slayer:

8. striker

striker Well-Known Member

I dont think this is a single problem of CXL leather but could also be the process of clicking the leather, in order to maximise yield and reduce wastage, some thinner parts of the hide were used and leads to some areas creasing more than others.

1 person likes this.
  9. bertie

bertie Well-Known Member

That is extreme - the only time I have seen creases that fine are on cowboy boots made from kangaroo - never on work boots.

10. BlahBet

BlahBet Member

Alright thanks for the help guys, I am probably just going to send them back as the place I got them from has 14 day money back. I am also going to just buy new ones so I wont have to deal with stuff like this again.

11. Pecan89

Pecan89 Well-Known Member

Was in a men's wearhouse store this weekend and they had large horse hair brushes " for seven bucks

12. Pecan89

Was in a men's wearhouse store this weekend and they had large horse hair brushes " for seven bucks

13. Pecan89

14. mg2380

mg2380 Well-Known Member

Did you get your new boots yet? If so, how did they fit? Did they run large? Small? Thanks!

15. wdahab

wdahab Well-Known Member

Ah, sorry, I actually meant to post that I had a last-minute change of heart on getting those as an impulse pair of boots, when what I really wanted were Natty CXL boots. Which then translated into me buying a pair of OSB trench boots on an impulse.

16. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Well-Known Member

17. red81

red81 Well-Known Member

18. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Well-Known Member

Do those look like something worth investing in? The underside looks nicely finished, but I have no idea what to look for in a boot of this type or age...

Perhaps I should have only posted pics and kept the link to myself :p

19. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

Doesn't appear to be any insoles in those boots listed on Ebay and I'm not liking what I'm seeing in some of the pics either. Personally they're a crap shoot in my book.

20. mg2380

mg2380 Well-Known Member

Darn! I was hoping you'd be a guinea pig so I'd know what size to get. ;-)

p.s. Those OSB boots look great!