1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. weshelm

weshelm New Member

I have the same thing happening on my black 1000 miles, particularly on the toes. It seems to be spreading. The boots are well oiled and LP'd via Crane's method, and I am just wearing them around town with no special abuse- I have no idea what is causing it. Anybody have any ideas what causes this? General abrasion? Any way of preventing it? I spent a long time water brushing and buffing, which helped it to blend in better, but definitely did not restore the original finish.
    Outside of that issue, I am loving the boots. They are my first quality boot purchase, and I ended up going true to size, and added insoles since I have a fairly low-volume foot. They fit perfectly and are comfortable as all hell... I am already thinking about picking up a second pair in brown or tan so I can rotate them.

2. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

It's called the Whitepine and according to my Fall 2013 catalog we should be able to get it. It comes in natural which is what you're seeing and brown.

3. wdahab

wdahab Well-Known Member

So... that's natural CXL, eh? A shame that it's only available on a non-basic pair.

4. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

Yep that's natural CXL. IT wouldn't surprise me to that leather make it's way through the line. Given the originals are available now in 5 colors I would guess if it happens it'll start with that model.

There's a new brogue shoe in Latigo leather and an 8 inch boot in a brushed leather that's coming out in September. The brogues look interesting.

5. Ketawa

Ketawa Well-Known Member

Want to give another endorsement for Crane's for amazing customer service. I ended up ordering size 13D to try on also (see below), and they fit better. Crane's was happy to let me try on both sizes, then return the one that didn't fit. On top of that, there was a small defect on the size 13s I first received, so they reordered a new pair. That new pair had the same problem, so they ordered another! Fantastic.

I will be going to them again for any more boot purchases. Probably picking up some black original 1K miles eventually to go with my black ToJ CWU jacket.

6. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

Reposting this from another member's post in the "Recent Purchases Thread":

[​IMG]

Barely ever see pictures of Austens, or Rockfords for that matter.

That natural Predator leather lookin' real good, patina-ing up nicely.

I love the looks of Austens or Stocktons (Engineer) for riding, but I think I'm going White's at that price point.

7. jrs19

jrs19 Active Member

while I love the way the 1ks look and feel, I can't say that I think they're as tough as they should be. I've had mine for only 4 months. in those 4 months, I've given them at least 4 HDLP treatments, and I already have a hole in the sole. this seems very premature. do i call wolverine customer service or just take them to a cobbler? I don't even walk on pavement that much. seems crazy, right?

[​IMG]

8. jrs19

jrs19 Active Member

so i just spoke to wolverine customer service, and for the 2nd time, they were totally awesome. they told me that the hole is presumably premature, and that if i take the boots to a cobbler, they'll reimburse me for the cost. right on wolverine. anyone know a good cobbler in the Raleigh/Durham area?

9. super56k

super56k New Member

I knew this would be the place to ask. I appreciate the information. It looks like I bought a pair of demo / preview 1k Whitepine's then. Not my clearest headed moment, but it appears I came out ahead in the deal providing there's not some crippling defect that'll bite me this spring when I really start wearing them. I randomly saw the boots on eBay and purchased at $119 shipped. They nailed a style I was having trouble locating in my price point. I looked into Red Wing Wabasha's, LL Bean Ranger mocs, and even some Sebago stuff, but I couldn't commit because everything had too much of a boat shoe vibe, or appeared too stylized/cheaply made, or were too expensive. So yeah I gambled on the purchase, but hopefully I didn't shoot myself in the foot, so to speak.

10. mg2380

mg2380 Well-Known Member

Heck, I'd ask if I could send them back to Wolverine for the resole job. I'd also get a half-sole installed when you get them back.

11. fitchottie

fitchottie Well-Known Member

try (lee shoe repair) in garner.. good old country boys been reparing since the 50's.

12. Ketawa

Ketawa Well-Known Member

When I tried applying Obenauf's LP to my Bayfield boots with a hair dryer, I couldn't get the leather to soak up the LP along the welt. The boots ended up with a whitish waxy substance along the stitching, and I thought it was unsightly. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any hints for dealing with it? Use less LP, try more with the hair dryer, don't let the LP sit for long before applying heat?

13. rexet

rexet Well-Known Member

Yes I experienced the same thing. I removed the most of it with a folded paper and finish by brushing a lot this area.

14. rexet

rexet Well-Known Member

Damn it, I guess the cobbler's doubts were right since the rubber sole is already falling appart after only 3 days ion the front of the sole :( !
    Don't know what to do. Put a screwed iron in the front?

15. red81

red81 Well-Known Member

just blow dry it until it melts and then wipe off with a rag? that's what i do.

16. Winterbourne

Winterbourne Well-Known Member

Wait, so why didn't he sand down the leather sole a bit to allow the sole to adhere better?

17. rexet

rexet Well-Known Member

He did actually.

18. bik2101

bik2101 Well-Known Member

are there other cobblers you can check out? it doesn't seem like getting the half sole on there should be a problem. posisbly a matter of how a cobbler does it? I brought my shoes straight out of the box and got a half sole done and been wearing them almost daily for the past two months with no issues.

19. rexet

rexet Well-Known Member

I'm gonna wear them a bit more to see how it goes and if it is too bad I will ask the opinion of another cobbler.

20. EdinLA44

EdinLA44 Member

Speaking of cobblers, does anyone know of a good cobbler in the Los Angeles area?