1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. vacuity

vacuity Member

2. JDMFanatic

JDMFanatic Well-Known Member

I only sno sealed my boots so far, haven't oiled them yet, so I'm guessing I should definitely pick some up soon. What brand would be the best without any of the bad stuff? Filson boot oil good? Anything better/cheaper? Not really trying to skimp, but just weighing out my options. Thanks!!!

edit: sorry guys, I'm terrible at searching... found some recommendations in the thread, so I guess I'll be going with the filson boot oil!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  3. RAYZ-ACE

RAYZ-ACE Active Member

thank you, i'll check it out today. Any chance you know where to find filson oil in toronto?

4. zinc2162

zinc2162 Well-Known Member

I have been looking for them any success. Let me know if you can find that. Thanks!!

5. RAYZ-ACE

RAYZ-ACE Active Member

I've found a few sellers on amazon.com that will ship to Canada, i'm thinking i may do that

6. RAYZ-ACE

RAYZ-ACE Active Member

by the way do you recall the street or the name of shoe repair that carries sno seal?

i found
    Kaner's Handbag and Shoe Repair, Shoe Therapy, and Mr. Presto,

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  7. itsmejson

itsmejson Well-Known Member

Hi guys. I recently purchase a worn pair of 1000 miles.
    I was reading through on how to clean and care for these but still need some help with the steps:
    - lexol leather cleaner with a sponge let dry
    - apply obenauf leather oil.
    - what do you apply this with?
    - does this leather oil darken the color?
    - can I use AE leather lotion in lieu of obenauf oil?

If I do not want to use snow seal would the above steps all I need to do to maintain the boots?

8. tsekh

tsekh Well-Known Member

Obenauf's leather oil comes with an applicator cap and you can apply the oil with it. Or you can pour a little bit onto a dry piece of cloth and the wipe in onto your boots.

The oil darken the color very slightly, and you won't notice the color difference after a day or two when the oil is completely soaked. For conditioning the leather, oil works better than other products in my opinion. Wait a day or two for the oil to sink in completely and then apply other leather lotion or water proofing products or polishing products if you want.

1 person likes this.
  9. althanis

althanis Well-Known Member

Anyone in Toronto put any Vibram soles on their boots? Where'd you do it?

10. zinc2162

zinc2162 Well-Known Member

I just left my boots to a cobbler today to put on the Vibram half sole. It costs me $45. I have been to other cobblers which are charging me $35 to put on the half soles but they are not the Vibram. I am not sure whether the one I went with will do a good job yet. Will find out in a few days.

BTW, the cobbler is in Hillcrest mall on Yonge and 16th Ave.

11. shinytile

shinytile Member

Hey all. So I'm pretty sure I just skimmed / read 130 pages of this thread. Good lord.

That said: Why hasn't the Courtland been mentioned?

I'm new here, and found this thread by searching trying to decide if these boots are going to handle the PacNW. I ultimately decided that yes, they can, properly treated, and worst case half soled. That said, why hasn't anyone mentioned the Courtland?

Like I said, I'm new here, but it pretty much seems like the original 1K + a half sole, right?

http://www.wolverine.com/US/en-US/P.../0/Mens/Courtland-1000-Mile-Boot?dimensions=0

That said, I do wish it was available in rust. Thoughts though?

12. tsekh

tsekh Well-Known Member

The Courtland was just released this season, so not many have bought it yet. And personally I think the original plain toe looks the best..

13. StraightDope

StraightDope Active Member

I use Obenauf's oil, they sell it at Sportman's warehouse for $16.99

14. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

I'm a satisfied user of Montana Pitch. I learned of the stuff from the "how-to-treat-your boots" video on the Wolverine website. I've never used sno-seal and have not had an issue with wet feet in the winter time.

15. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

Wolverine 1000s after one year of frequent wearing. Holding up well, I think.

[​IMG]

16. milesbeyond

milesbeyond Well-Known Member

I've tried on the Courtland in brown and a coworker has them in black. I don't usually like plain-toe boots/shoes, but in the case of the 1000 Mile, IMO the plain-toe looked a lot better than the moc. Plus my coworker's crease looks awkward to me, but that's just my opinion. The half-sole is nice, but like many are being quoted (myself included), it's only $30 to put on a half-sole by a cobbler vs the $20 difference between the original and the Courtland.

Update on mine, ordered on Thursday afternoon from Crane's and they were at my doorstep (in Seattle, WA) Saturday morning. Unbelievable shipping time. Sadly, after wearing them in the house for an hour, I had to come to the conclusion that they were too tight. Called Crane's this morning and mine are on their way back and they put in an order of the 10.5 for me. Excited to finally wear them especially after a little tease...

17. althanis

althanis Well-Known Member

Thanks. Moneysworth and Best will do it for $45, but they don't have Vibram soles, they have one called Emu I think. I'll check around a few other places.

18. RAYZ-ACE

RAYZ-ACE Active Member

Nicks shoe repair on dupont, they charged me 28 for vibram half sole.

19. itsmejson

itsmejson Well-Known Member

thank you for the response. Does the obenauf's leather oil mess up the contrast stitching on the boot?

20. Phantoom

Phantoom Well-Known Member

Can you (or anyone) link to this product? This may sound obtuse, but there are so many similar yet different products by Obenauf's, I'm afraid to purchase the wrong item.

Thanks in advance.