• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread

janoy89

Reaction score
The red and black check from last season was awesome. It sold out within hours too if I remember. It's not the most exciting option, but I'd bet basic buffalo checks in several colors would sell very well.

Yeah I missed out on that one, I got some Christmas themed flannels from F/W14 and they're two of the best shirts I've ever had.

psychodealer

Reaction score
Yeah I missed out on that one, I got some Christmas themed flannels from F/W14 and they're two of the best shirts I've ever had.
Wow! That is fast. Mauro's basic stuff are probably as good as they can be, but I appreciate that he takes risks and makes more interesting stuff. Like the Nico shoes and such.

Anyone have pictures of previous winter shirtings?

I kind of wish he would make a REALLY thick sweater though. Like SNS Herning thickness level, with some nice texture on whatever he uses.

What are peoples' thoughts on the Zegna Cashwool he's used before? How is it?

Nik Telford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! That is fast. Mauro's basic stuff are probably as good as they can be, but I appreciate that he takes risks and makes more interesting stuff. Like the Nico shoes and such.

I kind of wish he would make a REALLY thick sweater though. Like SNS Herning thickness level, with some nice texture on whatever he uses.

He planned to last year, but I think it kind of fell through. I'm not sure who all got their sweaters but I got a refund. I've got an old green sweater of his and a light purple turtleneck that I like, both were reasonably thick but not insanely heavy.

janoy89

Reaction score

Here's a couple I have, really hope to see more like these. My sweaters aren't super heavy but they're warm as **** and ridiculously soft.

Last edited:

aerimorla

Reaction score
the snowflake shirt is pretty cool, it's got little lakes, trees, cottages, and such on it.

also really like the southwest flannel but mine came in sized more like a large and there was no more fabric.

psychodealer

Reaction score
the snowflake shirt is pretty cool, it's got little lakes, trees, cottages, and such on it.

also really like the southwest flannel but mine came in sized more like a large and there was no more fabric.
Hmm. The Snowflake seems interesting for sure. Would've gotten it in the sale had it not been a spread collar.

Now looking at Mauro's USA shirts, a lot of them seem pretty high in the $100s. Since the Italians shirts seem cheaper (Mauro said lower cost), I hope future shirts with interesting fabrics will come out from Italy. Jacket sleeve, nice sizing, and everything.

Last edited:

Nik Telford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm. The Snowflake seems interesting for sure. Would've gotten it in the sale had it not been a spread collar.

Now looking at Mauro's USA shirts, a lot of them seem pretty high in the $100s. Since the Italians shirts seem cheaper (Mauro said lower cost), I hope future shirts with interesting fabrics will come out from Italy. Jacket sleeve, nice sizing, and everything.
Mauro just did a run of conversationals, though I can't remember if it used American or Italian sizing. The Italian sizing works 100x better for pre-orders than his stock runs, so it'll be interesting to see if he comes out with any interesting flannels from Italy this year.

psychodealer

Reaction score

Mauro just did a run of conversationals, though I can't remember if it used American or Italian sizing. The Italian sizing works 100x better for pre-orders than his stock runs, so it'll be interesting to see if he comes out with any interesting flannels from Italy this year.

Definitely seems like the sizing is food. I have da second hand made in USA shirt from WvG. Hated it. The sizing on the Italian one was perfect.

And you can tweak it!

Would there be any reason to make made in USA shirts anymore? Would moving the fabric from Japan to Italy to USA be more costly, for example?

Nik Telford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely seems like the sizing is food. I have da second hand made in USA shirt from WvG. Hated it. The sizing on the Italian one was perfect.

And you can tweak it!

Would there be any reason to make made in USA shirts anymore? Would moving the fabric from Japan to Italy to USA be more costly, for example?
I'm not picky about the sizes really, but I imagine the main benefits of working in Italy are the reduced labour costs as well as reduced import costs. You would likely pay a bit more in shipping overall, but make up for it in reduced labour and import fees. I know Mauro often used to lament the ridiculous fees he was charged just for importing a fabric into the US. The main downside of the move to Italy seems to be an increase in production time. I did a MTO US shirt once and it took two months, so far the Italian products I've ordered have taken 6 months.

psychodealer

Reaction score

He planned to last year, but I think it kind of fell through. I'm not sure who all got their sweaters but I got a refund. I've got an old green sweater of his and a light purple turtleneck that I like, both were reasonably thick but not insanely heavy.

Huh. What does they look like? So you know the blog post?
I'm not picky about the sizes really, but I imagine the main benefits of working in Italy are the reduced labour costs as well as reduced import costs. You would likely pay a bit more in shipping overall, but make up for it in reduced labour and import fees. I know Mauro often used to lament the ridiculous fees he was charged just for importing a fabric into the US. The main downside of the move to Italy seems to be an increase in production time. I did a MTO US shirt once and it took two months, so far the Italian products I've ordered have taken 6 months.

Wow. That's insanely long. What does your order? That's enough fort the season to change Jesus.

Surprised that the labor cost is lower in Italy! Hopefully they can churn out shirts faster

Nik Telford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Huh. What does they look like? So you know the blog post?
Wow. That's insanely long. What does your order? That's enough fort the season to change Jesus.

Surprised that the labor cost is lower in Italy! Hopefully they can churn out shirts faster

Sorry I can't seem to find the blog post on it. But he had the Explorer sweater, the Mr. Rogers cardigan, the Brosnan full zip, and one other that escapes me. I remember seeing a few pictures posted on here of the Mr. Rogers but I'm not sure the others got made.

goldenbear

Reaction score

Sorry I can't seem to find the blog post on it. But he had the Explorer sweater, the Mr. Rogers cardigan, the Brosnan full zip, and one other that escapes me. I remember seeing a few pictures posted on here of the Mr. Rogers but I'm not sure the others got made.

I believe it was the Connery Shawl neck. I got one last season in burgundy and it is awesome. It is already penciled in as my go to sweater for any Christmas events I'm invited to.

Last edited:

psychodealer

Reaction score
I found the explorer sweater. Looks like it was a Cardigan.

https://www.instagram.com/p/96fZEfAg1a/

Why weren't they made? They look pretty good and thick.

Nik Telford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe it was the Connery Shawl neck. I got one last season in burgundy and it is awesome. It is already penciled in as my go to sweater for any Christmas events I'm invited to.

That's what it was! That was bothering me Haha.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads