1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wireless network issue, pls help

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mack11211, Sep 25, 2006.

1. mack11211

mack11211 Well-Known Member

Dear Folks:

Perhaps there is a simple answer to my stupid problem.

This afternoon I cleaned my keyboard and touchpad, rubbing this way and that. When I finished, I found my computer was not picking up any wireless networks, even my own. I have to plug in the cable to get the connection.

I suspect that when I cleaned the keyboard without turning the computer off, I changed a setting on my Sony VAIO.

Any help appreciated.

yours

mack11211

2. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

Did you turn off the wireless feature by accident? Try to turn it on manually, then check the Network settings in the Control Panel.

3. j

j Well-Known Member

Many laptops have either a dedicated button or a Function (or similar) button that you use like a Shift/Alt/Ctrl key along with some of the other keys to change various hardware functions. I'm not familiar with the Vaio, but it's likely you bumped something and just turned it off. As they say, you might consult the manual for the machine. Also, there are a couple of really good notebook forums out there you might try searching.

4. mack11211

The Control Panel says the wireless is not connected, but the 'repair' function does not succeed in reconnecting it either.

5. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

Can you even see your wireless network? If you could, then you might have to release and renew your IPs. Easiest way is to reboot both your router and your laptop. Else, go to your command prompt (click run, then type "cmd"), then type: "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew" in the command prompt.

6. j

j Well-Known Member

Go into Control panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager. There should be a chart of devices. See if any of them has a red X through it. If it is the network adapter, it's not turned on or is having hardware probs. If everything looks good there, it's turned on and physically working (most likely) but there is a software/driver issue.

BTW, before we go further, reboot the computer if you haven't already.

7. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

My wife's VAIO has an on/off wireless switch on the left side, near the front. The same thing happens to us on occasion. Not sure if yours does the same.

That's all I've got.[​IMG]

8. Rome

Rome Well-Known Member

+1 on checking for a wireless switch, either on the sides or the front, if there is a switch present then there will most likely be an LED that will let you know when the function is on or off. Once you verified the wireless card is on if you still are not connecting reboot the router. It may not be broadcasting the SSID. If you set up your router not broadcast the SSID you may have to manually put your home network settings in your computer.

9. mack11211

YESSSSS!

That's the ticket.

Thanks to all.