1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Winter Parka/Jackets

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by playdohh22, Sep 15, 2010.

1. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

Would I come off as a creeper if I asked you for the size of your Calgary jacket and your height/shoulder measurements? Been considering a Yukon Bomber for over a year now but there aren't any retailers in Chicago who stock them so I'm reluctant to pull the trigger...

It's Japanese size S, American XS. But it's a Japan-only cut. Non-Japanese CG won't fit this slim. I'm 5'11". I don't know my shoulder measurement.

2. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

That's good because I have tried on the chiliwak and it really was absurdly warm. Not to mention heavy.

Heavy really? Hit the gym son! [​IMG]

3. airportlobby

airportlobby Well-Known Member

As a Texan, this thread makes me laugh. I'm glad I don't have to spend money on fur-lined monstrosities. I do like the Crescent Down jackets, though.

4. Timmbo

Timmbo Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for a winter coat, which will protect well from heavy rain as well? Using an umbrella where I am isn't really an option, the wind just destroys them.

5. whatever123

whatever123 Well-Known Member

yeah, they are a ton of great suggestions if you read this thread

6. Scooba

Scooba Well-Known Member

7. Flieger

Flieger Well-Known Member

and you're a fucking creeper

I dunno man, I think you are doing fine in the creeper department yourself too.

8. xM.

xM. Well-Known Member

Thoughts? Opinions? Fjallraven From China....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Free-shipping-co...item7dbacaf13f

I have no proof, but I can't see how those aren't fake. Fjallraven parka's usually cost over $400 and they just happen to have tons of them in different sizes and colours for $99?

9. ma1

ma1 Well-Known Member

Yeah they don't even make a jacket that looks like that as far as I know.

10. tellure

tellure Well-Known Member

Old Moncler (FW08/09), but it looks like a decent mix between a wool coat and a shiny parka to my eye:

[​IMG]

I tried on one of the shiny Moncler jackets at Bloomingdale's the other day. Color was nice, kind of a dark chocolate brown, but the whole shiny down parka thing just seems way too trendy. Hard to imagine it still looking good in 5 yrs.

11. nineohtoo

nineohtoo Well-Known Member

Anyone have any recommendations that aren't down jackets(I don't like how they look), and will keep me dry? I can usually tolerate the Bay Area cold with a few layers, I just don't want to get wet. I was looking at Nau's Succinct Trench here: http://www.nau.com/mens/categories/jackets/ Some of their other jackets are pretty cool looking, but not all have a hood and I'm particular about it being black.

Any suggestions would be great. I don't really want to spend more than $300, anymore and I'd rather just go buy an outdoor brand jacket and not worry about how I look since I'll be warm and dry. Eco-friendly or locally made would be a plus(thought I don't expect it because I'm aware that most of the good seem taping went to China).

12. xM.

xM. Well-Known Member

Old Moncler (FW08/09), but it looks like a decent mix between a wool coat and a shiny parka to my eye:

[​IMG]

I tried on one of the shiny Moncler jackets at Bloomingdale's the other day. Color was nice, kind of a dark chocolate brown, but the whole shiny down parka thing just seems way too trendy. Hard to imagine it still looking good in 5 yrs.

I really like this.

Other than the Wings & Horns one from this season, any other 'wool' puffer jackets about?

13. ma1

ma1 Well-Known Member

llbean just came out with one that actually looks really nice, penfield has them too

14. snuff_daddy

snuff_daddy Well-Known Member

the LL bean versions look pretty good for the price [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

yeah both of those are nice

16. asdf

asdf Well-Known Member

the LL bean versions look pretty good for the price

[​IMG]

Really want to buy this, but im afraid it will fit like a blimp and am scared to size down.

Anyone with experience with LL Bean outerwear?

17. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

18. nonissue

nonissue Well-Known Member

Measurements for the LLBean coat/jacket:

Kara: In the Jacket the garment measurements are:
    Kara: Small --
    Kara: Chest 47
    Kara: Sleeve length 36.25 inches
    Kara: Back Length 28.5 inches
    Kara: We have a Cross Shoulder measurement of 19.25 inches.
    Kara: Medium --
    Kara: Chest 50
    Kara: Sleeve Length 37 inches
    Kara: Back Length 29 inches
    Kara: Cross Shoulder 20 inches.
    Kara: In the Coat
    Kara: Small
    Kara: Sleeve Length 36 inches
    Kara: Back Length 31.5 inches
    Kara: Cross Shoulder 18.75 inches
    Kara: Medium
    Kara: Sleeve 36.75 inches
    Kara: Back Length 32 inches
    Kara: Cross Shoulder 19.5

19. asdf

asdf Well-Known Member

Kara: Medium --
    Kara: Chest 50
    Kara: Sleeve Length 37 inches
    Kara: Back Length 29 inches
    Kara: Cross Shoulder 20 inches.

Sweet, thanks.
    Does this indicate it might be a good fit for a 42-44? Chest/shoulders sound fine but im unfamiliar with measuring puffy things.

20. bob99

bob99 Well-Known Member

I also have the Canada Goose Calgary jacket (in size M) and it's a great, clean coat. Super warm too.

I'm not a big fan of other CG stuff, the non-Japan lines are way too bulky. Great for warmth, but IMO not very stylish.

My Calgary is black, but I saw the Graphite Grey at Uncle Otis last weekend and it looked really nice:
    http://www.uncleotis.com/?proId=4289...183B614CA7D1BE

The price is the same as I paid last year, $600 CDN. Holt Renfrew also sells this coat, as does Over The Rainbow.

If you want something with a bit more ornamentation, the Manitoba jacket from CG Japan loses the fur hood, but adds 4 large pockets to the front. Personally I prefer the cleaner look of the Calgary.

http://www.uncleotis.com/?proId=4288...183B614CA7D1BE