1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Winter boots that aren't ugly

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by brad-t, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Uli Kunkel

Uli Kunkel Well-Known Member

Rankiz,

I own the bottom pair of Sorel's with the shearling liner, same model and everything. They are extremely warm and look great. They are not entirely waterproof but they are certainly very good for nearly all snowy conditions, in my experience

The Kunk,

Wait, you a real Kunkel?

2. Uli Kunkel

Uli Kunkel Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of Navy Conistons to tide me over. Thank you for the suggestions.

Any recommendations for comparable boots to the below would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Well-Known Member

Sorry for the late reply Uli, I missed this thread for a while.

The Wicklows are not lined. My experience has been that thick socks are much more effective than lined shoes, plus the shoes are more versatile. Unless you're in super cold weather, which Boston isn't (IMO). I'm wearing them today in our 0 F weather and my feet are quite warm. Few pics attached for you. You can see the leather is oil treated, making them good in the wet and snow but definitely not waterproof.

The victory soles have seemed to provide good traction in snow. Probably not quite as good as a commando sole but pretty good nonetheless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  5. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

^^Yes, ive worn them for two years and like them alot. Not the prettiest, but nice enough silhuette to work with most stuff (+ light and comfortable). I went with my true (?) size, i.e., UK12 (I wear an US 13 in Vans for comparison).

6. rockket

rockket Well-Known Member

the shape is not going to be stylish but they'll keep your feet dry.

if you're looking for a good looking, rough-weather chelsea, go for the rm williams comfort craftsman.

7. clarkscent

clarkscent Member

I've been close to order blundstone, the 063 model.

But then i read some online and people are saying they get very slippery on snow. On the other hand i've read people who said they work great on snow..

I almost never feel cold in my feet. So i'm not looking for anything with fur lining.

I live in a town in sweden where it's get to about -15°C (5°F). Walking in town is no problem even in converse unless it's slushy.

But i occasionally take a walk thought the woods, and i like to walk away from the path. So sometimes it's snow halfway to my knee, and sometimes there are big water puddle needed to be crossed.

I want a good boot but i dont want to spend too much when salt will get on them. Biggest problem is most beautiful boots are too slippery.

Most people recommend duck boots, but i just can not findmyself to like them. Besides, LL Bean is very hard to find a retailer here in Sweden. and Sorel seems to have problems with leakage. I rather fnd myself a good leather boot and waterproof it as good as possible.

I really came to like this Doc marten
    [​IMG]

But of course the sole is very hard, therefore becomes super slippery.

Those C&J Wicklows looked real nice but abit pricey for me.

Thinking about resoling a pair of Iron Rangers.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  8. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I'm trying out TTS and 1/2 down. I was hoping I'd get them tomorrow in time for a trip next week, but now it looks like they won't get here until Monday after I've already left. :confused:

Those look pretty nice, although I'd be slightly concerned about the sole no having serious treads. I might give them a shot if I really don't like the shape of the Blundstones, though.

9. scrwl

scrwl Well-Known Member

I've been using Iron Rangers with vibram half sole and heel this winter and they've coped well. I think the new profile is ok and the grip on slush/snow/ice is quite good!
    [​IMG]

10. clarkscent

clarkscent Member

Those were some nice looking boots. Dont know if i should put a commando pattern or something else. Will do on monday if i dont find anything else.

11. Lollie

Lollie Well-Known Member

Are there any hiking boots that both look nice and can be used for walking in bad weather (snow,ice)? Thinking Diemme, Fracap, Paraboot etc maybe? Would love to read some feedback/suggestions.

12. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Danner or Viberg.

1 person likes this.
  13. Lollie

Lollie Well-Known Member

Thanks! Is Fracap any good?

14. accordion

accordion Well-Known Member

my blundstone 63 came in today, TTS is too big, I need to size down at least 1/2, otherwise they seem pretty solid, chunky looking from the side but okay from the top.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  15. pasteurisation

pasteurisation Well-Known Member

I have UGG polson and my feet are wet. They are supposed to be waterproof though. I'm very disappointed.

16. Grove

Grove Well-Known Member

IME Fracap and Diemme are both decent.
    It's also worth checking out Hanwag double-stitched. I prefer them to my Viberg Hikers and they were less than half the price. If you have to walk on ice then check out the versions with Ice Grip soles.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  17. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Well-Known Member

So many dark boots. Any ideas for something beige/off-white?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  18. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Well-Known Member

The Epaulet kudu boots are an awesome bone color and, slicked up with Obenaufs, will do you well in all but the heavy slop.

19. thebunk

thebunk Well-Known Member

Hey folks.

I live in Eastern Canada and those living or familiar with the weather in Boston of late can relate to the same type of winters we get (though this year is even atypical for us).

I am looking recommendations on a brogue\wingtip style scotchgrain \ pebble type of boot with a good sole that can perhaps hold up to the trek down a snow and salt laden sidewalk or road. Does anyone have any recommendations? Essentially looking for something that I can wear with tweed or flannel pants and sports coat but functionally works as well.

Thanks in advance!

20. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

2 people like this.