1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

WINGS + HORNS SPRING 2012

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by shoreman1782, Aug 24, 2011.

1. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Words and photos by Pete Anderson

Since wings + horns shuffled its design team last year, the Canadian line has taken some road trips in new directions but remained anchored to its bedrock of exceedingly well-built, comfortable knits. Next spring broadens the horizons of the line further. Conceived around the story of a lone traveler hitching aimlessly around North America, the “Road to Nowhere” collection includes a road-appropriate corded cotton riders jacket (a new cut for wings + horns; it’s well proportioned and the fabric is a lighter alternative to leather), biker-style zip-hem trousers, knit sportcoats, and the consistent detail of a particular, Native American style patterned woven fabric. There’s a general departure from the work and military influences that dominated the last few seasons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although the wanderer theme is a useful diversion for wings + horns, the brand will still offer racks on racks of its trademark sportswear. Unlike most lines, wings + horns owns their means of production, so they can accomplish some interesting things with textiles that other brands cannot. In addition to their usual fleece pieces, which are often imitated but rarely matched, they’re offering a looser knit that should please fans of gymwear-as-fashion. The palette is the usual wearable neutrals and grays but with the addition this seasons of a Carolina or robin’s egg blue.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pattern repeats on polos, a reversible shirt, shorts, and jacket linings.

[​IMG]
    Buttons on both sides.

W+H will also continue to offer denim in a flatteringly slim, tapered cut in complex, realistic washes. The fall lineup will again include the simple, made-in-Italy sneakers in soft leather with leather laces that are debuting in fall 2011. There are also exclusive, boxing themed pieces done for the Ace Hotel (still jonesing for one of the w+h/Ace robes), and the now-almost-obligatory Porter-made bags.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Fok takes notes. Any comments on his hat?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Reigning Champ line, wings + horns’ jock-ier cousin, continues to develop its character with fall 2012. Button down oxfords include bi-swing shoulders for ease of movement that show off contrast fabrics. A cotton herringbone cardigan looks like something w+h might’ve done a year or two ago, but is no less current or wearable. Tanks and tshirts, some with graphic logos, round out the collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wings + Horns is available at Roden Gray, Context, Four Horsemen, and Need Supply.

2. Garbage Mouth

Garbage Mouth Well-Known Member

A couple of interesting things here and there. I wonder what the prices will look like.

3. Peter1

Peter1 Well-Known Member

Those gray sneaks look great, as do the Ts and fleece blazer. I haven't been blown away by W&H's workwear -- seems pricey and a little me-tooish. I could see that blazer killing it with faded denim.

4. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

Those Native American prints are turning up everywhere. My feelings are mixed. Overall I think there are some interesting things, though I feel like pictures never really do w+h justice. You have to handle the materials to know what the line is about.

5. mr.orange

mr.orange Well-Known Member

where in Texas can I handle said materials?

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I am pretty sure that Mortar, in Houston, carries, or will be carrying it.

7. slack tide

slack tide Well-Known Member

Also per the W+H stockist list, a place called 'Q Custom Clothier' in Dallas, TX. The list is nice - looks like it's be redone

Yeah, those grey sneakers with white sole look awesome.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  8. mr.orange

Nice. I can make that trip for sure. Thanks guy :)

9. shoreman1782

True. And RL is the OG (well, not ORIGINAL, since, I guess, the Navajo themselves are true OG when it comes to Navajo patterns). But I think rather than merely splashing a print on a tshirt, W+H did a good job developing it's own take and using it consistently.

10. mr.orange

What does it mean that W+H owns their means of production and wow does it compare to other brands that don't?

11. shoreman1782

To your other question, I'm not sure who in TX carries W+H.

wings + horns and reigning champ are both associated with CYC manufacturing, which has been making cotton fleece gear for a long time (blanks for brands like Supreme and others). They don't make outerwear in house, for example, but they do make those cotton knits themselves. Hence they tend to be creative with that stuff, vs. other brands that can't afford to take risks or be as involved with development of fabric.

12. Brinbro

Brinbro Well-Known Member

As hesitant as I was about a new designer, I really like the new direction the brand is going - mostly because it now seems to have a direction.

13. MORTAR

MORTAR Well-Known Member

We're carrying Wings for S/S12, most likely going to get some fall inventory as well. I have never heard of a Dallas store stocking them; Q Custom Clothier is a bespoke suiting place...no casual stuff. Interesting.

14. MORTAR

MORTAR Well-Known Member

I'd also like to add how freaking stoked all of us are about this collection...it's truly amazing guys.

15. hoozah

hoozah Well-Known Member

i wonder if that's the only color that rider will come in.

16. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

It also comes in black and charcoal, iirc, but the camel is by far the most distinctive and interesting.

1 person likes this.
  17. blazingazn

blazingazn Well-Known Member

i have to say i'm not a fan of the navajo print inspirations.

but in general i like my cloth plain.

18. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

i'd prefer no direction to wrong direction. Doesn't look good from the few pictures i've seen, hope the rest of the range is better.

19. Dbear

Dbear Well-Known Member

Hope these are mainly "research" pieces.

Or it's time to buy the shit out of F/W 2011...

20. shoreman1782

^This does show more of the design stuff rather than the archive/old standby stuff. For this post, I focused on the key pieces for the season and those that differentiate this season from other wings + horns seasons. Frankly I found it refreshing that they were doing something other than tweaking fleece types and cardigans. It has more personality than s/s 2011.

There's plenty of fleece tops and sweats, too. Keep in mind this is the spring line, so there's not going to be a ton of outerwear, if that's what you're looking for.