• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wings and Horns FW 09

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
+1 about epaulets.

I realize the simple, timeless design that's not overdone is part of the brand's appeal. However, if you take away too many of these little details (e.g. epaulets, slanted pockets, etc) then W+H would be verging on having the generic feel of bands such as Theory, Helmet Lang, etc.

what has made wings + horns good is not originality in design, but rather the material and fit.

this is a brand that made its name making hoodies ffs

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, W+H's bread and butter is undoubtedly its hoodies. I've never found the majority of the company's output all that groundbreaking from an aesthetic POV, but the consensus is it's difficult to find comparable quality of fabric for the price point.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All true. I find myself coming back to W+H for the fit and quality-to-price ratio.

But you have to admit if the detailing were toned down a hair, it would look as generic as Theory and Helmet Lang stuff. And how many of us would pay up for a higher quality version of those brand's designs? Not very many I suspect.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am fairly sure that as it is a military jacket, epaulets are ok.

I like them as long as they are done well, which W+H ones are.

People buy W+H for quality + fit. High armholes, good fabric, good construction. Reasonable price. Timeless pieces. It's not ment to push boundries or anything, it's just ment to be extremely wearable and functional.

I like that.

You can buy W+H pieces and fit them into almost any look.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My point was that epaulets are far from unique to W+H. I don't associate the company with the detail, because everyone from Apolis to Gap has been including them in collections the last several years.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I have never liked epaulets. it seems that wings + horns is still on the military jacket tip though, unlike the rest of the market, which has moved on (its ok tho)

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I like that look.

Fair point.

Epaulets are over played.

I hate epaulets on shirts, marsupialed.

Can be good on trenches, military coats. Don't think a MK2, M65, Trench would look right without them, but I can understand how people are like 'FFS epaulets again' especially with shirts.

Hopefully people will cut back on them.

How awesome are the pinpoint button ups? Really wearable workshirts, that don't have that vibe.

Flannels, I'm not so sold on. Same as varsity jacket, not my thing.

Apparently the chino's are even better then SS09. They are in grey, which is awesome. Will get some in grey and maybe the tan. Can anyone compare W+H chino's vs RRL chinos?

It will be good to see what trainers they are doing. I may or may not get some. Would get more service boots if they do other cool leathers, but don't really need, as I have both pair.

Honestly, when I'm not in boots, I'm usually wearing flip flops or Clarks DB's.

bunny4eva

Reaction score
Damn. Buy the MK2 in black canvas on sale now or wait for the grey/olive MK2?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both.

Be Baller.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
saw some guy at work with epaulets on his shirt (dude is like 45 years old)... keep in mind i work in the more conservative end of business casual

nocoolonesleft

Reaction score
Anyone have estimates on how much the

-m65
-mk2
-flannels

are going to cost?

UserName84

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nocoolonesleft
Anyone have estimates on how much the

-m65
-mk2
-flannels

are going to cost?

The last mk2 was 500 range so I imagine the same. I really want that though it might be too hot here.

The pants look good.

JSTF

Reaction score
the chinos i assume are made from twill?

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
forgot those flannels are zip up instead of buttons :\\ do not want anymore

bokhan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 4saken
Damn. Buy the MK2 in black canvas on sale now or wait for the grey/olive MK2?

where are they on sale?
redface.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads