1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wings and Horns FW 09

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ppllzz, Apr 21, 2009.

1. APK

APK Well-Known Member

The black and gray flannel looks similar to the one last year; one I was upset to miss out on. If I crack and drop the dough on one of those flannels, it'll be that one. Heavily considering the blue Flathead flannel and I don't like red, so those are two don't do much for me.

I am pretty burnt out on all the epaulets, though. Too many brands going with that look now is making for some deja vu when I first glance at these collections.

2. BB1

BB1 Well-Known Member

I think I had heard they will be melton wool for the MK-2.
    Yeah, but what's the percentage of virgin wool? I've seen melton wool that claims it's only 50% virgin and other that say 100% virgin wool. I have a wool jacket that says 100% virgin and the damn thin doesn't pill, crease, or loose its shape at all even when abused. That made a believer out of me. If the MK-2 is 100% virgin, then a $500 (or even higher) price would be worth it.

3. cancel.sing

cancel.sing Well-Known Member

fuck my life why am i not wealthy

4. BB1

BB1 Well-Known Member

I am pretty burnt out on all the epaulets, though. Too many brands going with that look now is making for some deja vu when I first glance at these collections.

+1 about epaulets.

I realize the simple, timeless design that's not overdone is part of the brand's appeal. However, if you take away too many of these little details (e.g. epaulets, slanted pockets, etc) then W+H would be verging on having the generic feel of bands such as Theory, Helmet Lang, etc.

5. BB1

BB1 Well-Known Member

fuck my life why am i not wealthy

Because you already blew all your money on the W+H SS09 collection. [​IMG]

6. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

+1 about epaulets.

I realize the simple, timeless design that's not overdone is part of the brand's appeal. However, if you take away too many of these little details (e.g. epaulets, slanted pockets, etc) then W+H would be verging on having the generic feel of bands such as Theory, Helmet Lang, etc.

what has made wings + horns good is not originality in design, but rather the material and fit.

this is a brand that made its name making hoodies ffs

7. APK

APK Well-Known Member

Yeah, W+H's bread and butter is undoubtedly its hoodies. I've never found the majority of the company's output all that groundbreaking from an aesthetic POV, but the consensus is it's difficult to find comparable quality of fabric for the price point.

8. BB1

BB1 Well-Known Member

All true. I find myself coming back to W+H for the fit and quality-to-price ratio.

But you have to admit if the detailing were toned down a hair, it would look as generic as Theory and Helmet Lang stuff. And how many of us would pay up for a higher quality version of those brand's designs? Not very many I suspect.

9. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

I am fairly sure that as it is a military jacket, epaulets are ok.

I like them as long as they are done well, which W+H ones are.

People buy W+H for quality + fit. High armholes, good fabric, good construction. Reasonable price. Timeless pieces. It's not ment to push boundries or anything, it's just ment to be extremely wearable and functional.

I like that.

You can buy W+H pieces and fit them into almost any look.

10. APK

APK Well-Known Member

My point was that epaulets are far from unique to W+H. I don't associate the company with the detail, because everyone from Apolis to Gap has been including them in collections the last several years.

11. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

I have never liked epaulets. it seems that wings + horns is still on the military jacket tip though, unlike the rest of the market, which has moved on (its ok tho)

12. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

^^ I like that look.

Fair point.

Epaulets are over played.

I hate epaulets on shirts, retarded.

Can be good on trenches, military coats. Don't think a MK2, M65, Trench would look right without them, but I can understand how people are like 'FFS epaulets again' especially with shirts.

Hopefully people will cut back on them.

How awesome are the pinpoint button ups? Really wearable workshirts, that don't have that vibe.

Flannels, I'm not so sold on. Same as varsity jacket, not my thing.

Apparently the chino's are even better then SS09. They are in grey, which is awesome. Will get some in grey and maybe the tan. Can anyone compare W+H chino's vs RRL chinos?

It will be good to see what trainers they are doing. I may or may not get some. Would get more service boots if they do other cool leathers, but don't really need, as I have both pair.

Honestly, when I'm not in boots, I'm usually wearing flip flops or Clarks DB's.

13. 4saken

4saken Well-Known Member

Damn. Buy the MK2 in black canvas on sale now or wait for the grey/olive MK2?

14. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

Both.

Be Baller.

15. constant struggle

constant struggle Well-Known Member

saw some guy at work with epaulets on his shirt (dude is like 45 years old)... keep in mind i work in the more conservative end of business casual

16. nocoolonesleft

nocoolonesleft Well-Known Member

Anyone have estimates on how much the

-m65
    -mk2
    -flannels

are going to cost?

17. UserName84

UserName84 Well-Known Member

Anyone have estimates on how much the

-m65
    -mk2
    -flannels

are going to cost?

The last mk2 was 500 range so I imagine the same. I really want that though it might be too hot here.

The pants look good.

18. JSTF

JSTF Well-Known Member

the chinos i assume are made from twill?

19. constant struggle

constant struggle Well-Known Member

forgot those flannels are zip up instead of buttons :\\ do not want anymore

20. bokhan

bokhan Well-Known Member

Damn. Buy the MK2 in black canvas on sale now or wait for the grey/olive MK2?

where are they on sale? [​IMG]