1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Windowpane suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tricket, Jul 24, 2004.

1. tricket

tricket Well-Known Member

I am thinking of buying a windowpane suit. Could folks and friends in this forum share your experience of how to pair it well with shirts and ties? checked/striped/motived?

Thanks

2. kidkim2

kidkim2 Well-Known Member

tricket--

I would follow Flusser's advice in "Dressing the Man."

The windowpane pattern is a variety of check.  This means that if you choose to wear a tattersall dress shirt, you should make sure its checks are discernibly smaller than those of the suit.  Then, if you match the checked shirt and suit with a differently patterned tie (stripe, neat), keep its proportions the same as those of the shirt.

In other words, mix patterns at will.  But follow these two rules: if the patterns are the same (e.g., both checks) be sure they are of strikingly different sizes (large windowpanes, small tattersall checks); (b) if the patterns you are mixing are different (e.g., chalk stripe suit, paisley tie), match them in proportion.  That is, be sure the individual paisley paramecium shapes and the stripes in the suiting are the same widths.

IMHO, Flusser's book contains persuasively vivid llustrations of these principles.  If you don't have a copy already, I'd recommend your obtaining one.

Flusser takes a bit of a bashing from time to time, possibly with reason, but at least for this old boulevardier his comments on pattern mixing came as a revelation.

Regards,

Mike

3. raley

raley Well-Known Member

Flusser has a few books, I was thinking about picking one up - which would you recommend?

4. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

Dressing the Man.

5. tricket

tricket Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike.

Will grab a copy and have a read.

tricket

6. kidkim2

kidkim2 Well-Known Member

tricket and raley--

Let us know what you think of "Dressing the Man." (If you aren't inspired by at least several of the illustrations, you're stronger men than I.)

Mike