1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Will I be ok lifting four days a week?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by dusty, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Well-Known Member

Hmm. Thanks for chiming in. If you will kindly note that between when Buddy Love posted that comment and when you posted your rude remark there was no editing done on my behalf (look at the edit times smartass). Nice try though.

[​IMG]

All posts from the first page of your profile. Keep your negativity to yourself. If you have nothing to contribute or offer don't post.

2. TheRookie

TheRookie Well-Known Member

hmm, it is funny to see how many people weighed in saying that four days a week is too much. As someone who is of average muscular build (6' , 185 lbs.), and who constantly reads about training/health and works out excessively I can tell you that people who are in very good health often train 5-6 days a week. This is not to say that with only 4 days a week you are not going to get great results.

If you want an excellent guide, in my opinion as well as that of a couple of my buddies who are bodybuilders, Arnold Schwarzenegger's book entitled "Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding" is the most thorough guide to understanding the workout and how to get maximum results for each body type. In general, you should be doing aerobic/cardio exercises 4-5 times a week for roughly 35-45 minutes, this includes brisk walks, bicycling, etc. If you want to see results lifting weights, you should be working out at least 4 times a week alternating muscles worked and generally doing ab workouts every time. My brother is a fitness consultant with the Marines and has been whipping my butt into shape my whole life! This book has helped me immensely. Also, don't feel afraid to approach someone at the gym whose physique you admire to ask them their training regimen, it is a good way to find a great workout partner!

This is not good advice for several reasons. First, Arnold has perfect genetics for bodybuilding so what worked for him won't work for the average person. Second, Arnold used steroids throughout his competition years which made that amount of volume possible. Third, there is no chance a beginner will be able to work out intensely for that amount of time/sets.

Which brings me to overtraining. Overtraining isn't just dependent on how often one works out. Four days a week of concentration curls, tricep kickbacks, crunchs, etc will not tax the body to the same extent as four days a week of barbell squats and deadlifts to failure. Also, muscle soreness (non injury) isn't a good gauge of when to workout. A better gauge is when you stop making rep/weight progress. When that happens, eat more + sleep more and if that doesn't cure it, you are overtraining and need to cut back slightly.

3. Englandmj7

Man, I apologize for sounding like a broken record but for the love of god, I have noted three times that THE BOOK IS NOT ABOUT ARNOLD'S WORKOUT. Please critique my advice all you want and explain why it is incorrect, but for the last time, please stop assuming things about the book. It is a collection of descriptions on virtually every exercise as well as how to perform them. Doctors, athletes, and bodybuilders are cited and quoted continually, not ARNOLD's personal opinions. It is an encyclopedia, not an autobiography or personal workout regimen. That is like trying to say that Webster's dictionary is expressly the views of Noah Webster and should be taken with a grain of salt. Anyways, I apologize for continuing the debate. Otherwise, great advice. Cheers. [​IMG]

4. Jolly Green

Jolly Green Well-Known Member

Dusty... this is for Dusty, right?

Can you work out 4 or even 7 days a week? Maybe. Seems to work for Englandmj7 and others who are physically "gifted" (Not a flame. If that's truely the case, I'm jealous) but not so much for Sausemaster, myself or the average person, for that matter.

Most people find themselves in the the middle of the bell curve: Hardgainers.

To figure out what creates the fastest gains for Dusty takes experimenting and experimenting takes time. Lot's of time.

I will go out on a limb here and say that the concesus among those who have researched weight training beyond what their gym's personal trainer (or Men Health and other Muscle Rags) is this. FOR THE BEGINNER... you're most effective and efficient use of time is to use compound movements on a abbrieviated (limited) schedule with an appropriate, healthy diet and plenty of time to recover.

Single muscle group exercises may be appropriate at some point, but not for a beginner or probably even the intermediate level. Hardgainer or otherwise.

Cheers,
    D

5. Englandmj7

I totally agree.

I do work out 6 times a week but started out only doing 4-5 when I first began about 2 years ago. All I was saying is that if you recover quickly and find that you can handle it, it will not kill you to work out 6 days a week, assumed you know what you are doing.

6. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Well-Known Member

Now I'm starting to feel bad for jumping in early on the "dogpile Englandmj7" party. Don't worry England, I get what you're saying. Two chest-thumps and a peace sign. [​IMG]

Jolly Green's probably said it best so far. In the meantime, dusty's probably worse off than if he hadn't started the thread to begin with....

7. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

This thread is the reason I never ask other people's advice about my workout regimen. [​IMG]

8. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

My arms fell off today. Thanks guys.

9. Charley

Charley Well-Known Member

My arms fell off today. Thanks guys.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. MikeinSoCal

MikeinSoCal Active Member

I've recently begun lifting again after having about a decade since i last hit the gym. Its always been my impression that rest was part of the weightlifting routine. Meaning you werent supposed to lift back to back days, to give your body 48 hours or so of rest. Right now i lift Monday, Wednesday, and either Friday or Saturday (depending how i feel).

11. mizanation

mizanation Well-Known Member

you can lift every day if you work different muscle groups each day.

*edit*

just read the first pages of the thread. geesh.

anyways, disclaimer: i am not saying you should lift everyday, i'm saying it's possible and some people find success with this method...

12. mr_economy

mr_economy Well-Known Member

I've recently begun lifting again after having about a decade since i last hit the gym. Its always been my impression that rest was part of the weightlifting routine. Meaning you werent supposed to lift back to back days, to give your body 48 hours or so of rest. Right now i lift Monday, Wednesday, and either Friday or Saturday (depending how i feel).

As mizanation said, if you're working separate areas of the body then you can work out just about every day, as long as you make sure you leave about 48 hours in between working each muscle group.

That being said, I believe that circuit training is much more effective for most people's interests, and for that it is important to train only about three days per week.

13. MikeinSoCal

MikeinSoCal Active Member

As mizanation said, if you're working separate areas of the body then you can work out just about every day, as long as you make sure you leave about 48 hours in between working each muscle group.

Oops! Thats what i meant.

[​IMG]

I usually do upper/lower in one day rather than rotate, then rest 1 day between sessions (usually just do cardio).

14. Buddy Love

Buddy Love Well-Known Member

15. mizanation

mizanation Well-Known Member