1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Why No Shirt Sleeve Showing?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sartorially Challenged, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Sartorially Challenged

Sartorially Challenged Well-Known Member

I read time and again on this forum that one ought to show about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch of shirt sleeve while wearing a suit jacket. Fine enough, I think it looks nice.

But when I see a lot of fashion-y photographs (including on the Sartorialist), I see lots of people, including fashion insiders, wearing jackets and showing no shirt sleeve at all.

What gives?

2. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

3. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

No clue. It seems especially mad when wearing double cuffs.

4. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

short sleve shirts[​IMG] also that is the fashion, not the style!

5. mrchapel

mrchapel Well-Known Member

Often times it's a matter of not knowing; it contributes to men purchasing suits that are too long in the sleeves. Other times, such as The Sartorialist shots, could be simply a matter of angles, as the majority of those photos are taken on the spot.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

I read time and again on this forum that one ought to show about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch of shirt sleeve while wearing a suit jacket. Fine enough, I think it looks nice.

But when I see a lot of fashion-y photographs (including on the Sartorialist), I see lots of people, including fashion insiders, wearing jackets and showing no shirt sleeve at all.

What gives?

You've been punked!

Or perhaps mrchapel is right . . .

7. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

(a) because most tailors err on the side of caution and don't take the sleeves in enough (sometimes even when asked explicitely)
    (b) because most shirt cuffs are cut too wide and don't naturally stay put when one walks and moves arms
    (c) because a lot of fashion people focus on buying the "right" or "latest" garment rather than making sure the fit is perfect
    (d) because most people just don't care (even fashion insiders)
    (e) all of the above

8. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

My thought on this in the Member Pictures thread seems to have stirred a few emotions, or rather, emoticons.