1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Why is Restaurant Service So BAD at times these days?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Springs1, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

Is this one of Arrogant Bastard's socks?

2. uhurit

uhurit Well-Known Member

The OP is a sock: no one could be so pretentiously erratic

3. kingyouth

kingyouth Active Member

Fine, so you found something expensive there, but you all know, even I, that Red Lobster is just a chain restaurant; it is NOWHERE NEAR a fine dining restaurant.

I'm still trying to figure out what "fine" dining establishment serves Ranch dressing with bread.

4. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

shit. op hasn't even started on why the valet didn't have her husband's buick brought to the carwash first while they were dining.

5. SField

SField Well-Known Member

The OP is a sock: no one could be so pretentiously erratic

The angry capitalization does smack of an angry fat middle american housewife, though.

6. deadly7

deadly7 Well-Known Member

I think it's great that the OP joined (Aug 2010) just to post this bitchfest.

I will admit one thing though, when I've had waiters screw up my order, I've usually just had them get annoyed when I point it out. "Excuse me? I ordered this without _____" "Oh.. *eyeroll, flash of irritation*"

7. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Well-Known Member

8. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Well-Known Member

I think it's great that the OP joined (Aug 2010) just to post this bitchfest.

*ding*

If the OP is in fact real, then I would suggest the following:

[​IMG]

9. JesseJB

JesseJB Well-Known Member

If you think OP's experience was bad, you haven't dealt with the sommeliers at the PF Chang's over there by the highway.

1 person likes this.
  10. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

If you think OP's experience was bad, you haven't dealt with the sommeliers at the PF Chang's over there by the highway.

[​IMG] Noice.

11. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

They need someone to recommend wines at PF Changs? They serve wine at PF Changs?

12. word

word Well-Known Member

Do you often taste spit in your meals op?

13. ama

ama Well-Known Member

I find the flair that the incompetent wait staff wear at Nobu especially distracting. I mean seriously, where do they think they are China or something?! Last time I was there they must have had their hats on too tight. I asked that they broil the shit out of my toro and it came out completely raw!!

14. KJT

KJT Well-Known Member

At another restaurant, we have had a waiter forget ranch with bread I requested at a fine dining restaurant. That same waiter made us wait around 15 minutes for a coke and a tea, but yet, brought out wine BEFORE stuff he could have control himself.

I'm not going to read this whole thread cuz it's stupid, but what "fine dining" establishment are you dining in that you would order a side of ranch to go with your bread?

MORE RANCH!!

[​IMG]

15. KJT

KJT Well-Known Member

You're a peasant. EDIT; excuse me. YOU'RE a peasant.
    damn. everyone beat me to it and was much more funny.

16. SField

SField Well-Known Member

I'm not going to read this whole thread cuz it's stupid, but what "fine dining" establishment are you dining in that you would order a side of ranch to go with your bread?

MORE RANCH!!

[​IMG]

that's pretty similar to how I picture this woman too.

17. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Kind of on topic, why is it that Americans love to drone on and on about bad service? It is like they think it makes them seem somehow cultured. "Oh, I like that place, but the service can be a little inconsistent." WTF does that mean? This isn't to say that bad service doesn't exist, but it sure is commented on by a lot of people who have no fucking clue what service entails.

18. SField

SField Well-Known Member

Kind of on topic, why is it that Americans love to drone on and on about bad service? It is like they think it makes them seem somehow cultured. "Oh, I like that place, but the service can be a little inconsistent." WTF does that mean? This isn't to say that bad service doesn't exist, but it sure is commented on by a lot of people who have no fucking clue what service entails.

It might be because they pay more for it, to be honest.

To me great service is just service that I don't notice. People bitch about "impersonal" european service but frankly I like that better. After recently going on a cruise, I realized exactly what Americans think good service entails;

1) They want to feel extremely important. They love it if every last fucking person in the FOH, and even Chef, comes and says hi to them and almost begs them to enjoy the meal.

2) Glasses refilled every 3 seconds.

3) Bullshit small talk.

19. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

It might be because they pay more for it, to be honest.

To me great service is just service that I don't notice. People bitch about "impersonal" european service but frankly I like that better. After recently going on a cruise, I realized exactly what Americans think good service entails;

1) They want to feel extremely important. They love it if every last fucking person in the FOH, and even Chef, comes and says hi to them and almost begs them to enjoy the meal.

2) Glasses refilled every 3 seconds.

3) Bullshit small talk.

I think you are right. I don't mind my glass being refilled, but 1 and 2 drive me fucking nuts. Worse yet is when servers treat people like it is their first time ever in a nice restaurant. Sometimes I don't know how 20 somethings can stand going to really nice places.

20. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

ometimes I don't know how 20 somethings can stand going to really nice places.
    It helps going with older people who have been to the places before. [​IMG] But yeah, sometimes it does get annoying. Servers or hosts or captains explaining things like it's the first time I've heard the word. Like what a tasting menu entails. Thanks sweetie, I know what a tasting menu is. This isn't my first time at a restaurant.