1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

why get a motorcycle when you could get a Vespa

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mylesmyles, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Nonk

Nonk Well-Known Member

The gayness is inherent in the clothing, the large gangs, the rubbing of crotches or whatever against each other and then general ethos of the whole "culture".

The childish view of speed, riding and roadcraft is what is immediately resorted to once anyone questions why one would undertake such activity.

How I would like to have a motorcyclist tell me about how he gets cheap insurance and great fuel consumption instead of the usual "top trumps" remarks that are their sole justification.

Apart from their contribution to Darwinist survival of the fittest and the large contribution they make to reducing waiting times for those awaiting organ transplants I see little to recommend in it.

I apologise to any riders but everytime I see more than 3 together I just think "Black Widows"

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

The gayness is inherent in the clothing, the large gangs, the rubbing of crotches or whatever against each other and then general ethos of the whole "culture". The childish view of speed, riding and roadcraft is what is immediately resorted to once anyone questions why one would undertake such activity. How I would like to have a motorcyclist tell me about how he gets cheap insurance and great fuel consumption instead of the usual "top trumps" remarks that are their sole justification. Apart from their contribution to Darwinist survival of the fittest and the large contribution they make to reducing waiting times for those awaiting organ transplants I see little to recommend in it. I apologise to any riders but everytime I see more than 3 together I just think "Black Widows"
    There is a difference between being a motorcycle enthusiast and being a "biker" in case you didn't know. You are describing a biker (all except the rubbing their crotches against each other part, since most "bikers" ride solo or at most have a girl on the back of their bike) They consist of maybe 1% of the total motorcycling population of the world. Most of them are not concerned with speed, but with the freedom that owning a motorcycle and not being tied down gives them. So maybe you should re-evaluate your attitudes based on reality and not on your prejudices. I don't think homosexuality is the proper term to be using here, after all, you aren't upset because they are GAY. (most motorcyclists are not proportionately "more gay" than the population surrounding them) You are upset because they can be irresponsible and sometimes stupid. Well guess what, I find that this sentiment applies far more often to the SUV driver than it does to the motorcycle rider. That is a far cry from calling people "homosexual" because of their choice of vehicle. You must be talking to the dumbest motorcyclists I've ever heard of as well, because if you ask anyone I know with a motorcycle why they ride, speed is not even close to the first thing that comes up. Which makes me think you really have no idea what you are talking about. I don't even own a motorcycle, and I call bullshit.

3. Nonk

Nonk Well-Known Member

Perhaps you don't know what you are talking about either, Prong.

The motorcycling fraternity here consist almost excluisively of sports/ racing bike riding, dayglo leather clad fools. Speed is the number one reason they ride. The manner of bike, clothing, their riding itself and their answers when questioned all indicate this.

In fact the Village People lookalikes on unecessarly large bikes of American manufacture, (or foreign copies) are in fact the least gay, and most responsible. They at least seem to appreciate the dangers.

It is the Joey Dunlop minus talent wannabes that are prevalent.

Given our history and the ongoing popularity of TT racing, these people attempt to emulate their heroes exploits on public roads on a daily basis, rather than when they have been closed for such a purpose. Childish and irresponsible.

So you might learn a bit more about the subject before you dismiss my post as "Bullshit"

4. Tokyo Slim

Perhaps you don't know what you are talking about either, Prong. The motorcycling fraternity here consist almost excluisively of sports/ racing bike riding, dayglo leather clad fools. Speed is the number one reason they ride. The manner of bike, clothing, their riding itself and their answers when questioned all indicate this. In fact the Village People lookalikes on unecessarly large bikes of American manufacture, (or foreign copies) are in fact the least gay, and most responsible. They at least seem to appreciate the dangers. It is the Joey Dunlop minus talent wannabes that are prevalent. Given our history and the ongoing popularity of TT racing, these people attempt to emulate their heroes exploits on public roads on a daily basis, rather than when they have been closed for such a purpose. Childish and irresponsible. So you might learn a bit more about the subject before you dismiss my post as "Bullshit"
    I don't think you understand... Perhaps it would behoove you to word your post more carefully in the future. You generalized all motorcycle riders as "homosexual" and being obsessed with speed. This is FAR from the case as I have pointed out. "where you live" does not have any bearing on the case. Generalizing any large group of people as "homosexual" when clearly they are not, is meanspirited, ungentlemanly, and wrong. Not only to motorcyclists, of which we have many on this board including the illustrious leader J, but to gays, which we also may have a few of on this board. Because of your obviously homophobic use of the word as an insult IMO it becomes inappropriate. It's in the same vein as a racial slur for blacks being used to describe all people who play sports. THAT is what I call bullshit on. I'm sure that you are a nice guy and everything, but your post was ill-informed, derogatory, narrowminded, and to be honest, unneccesary. You didn't even post it as "your opinion", which wouldn't have made it better, but at least you would be taking responsibility for it. The tone of the post was that you are presenting it as "fact" that motorcyclists are all homosexuals. It's an incindiary statement which is most definitely wrong as fact, and probably inappropriate as opinion.

5. esquire.

esquire. Well-Known Member

One of my best mates restores them (very nicely) with Chinese parts and exports them to companies in Hawaii that rent them to tourists. He sells them at $3000-4000 a bike.

Good margins huh?

Wow, those numbers do seem high, esp. since that 3000-4000/bike is propably includes a discount for buying a large number of those Vespas which the average buyer wouldn't be able to enjoy.

I googled it up, and the MSRP for brand new Vespa's range from 3-5 thousand dollars. Sure, its more expensive to buy a brand new Vespa. But, if you bought a Vespa that was only a few years old, the deappreciation on it would make the newer Vespa not that much more expensive than the almost forty-fifty years old ones your friends are selling.

6. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Wow, those numbers do seem high, esp. since that 3000-4000/bike is propably includes a discount for buying a large number of those Vespas which the average buyer wouldn't be able to enjoy.

I googled it up, and the MSRP for brand new Vespa's range from 3-5 thousand dollars. Sure, its more expensive to buy a brand new Vespa. But, if you bought a Vespa that was only a few years old, the deappreciation on it would make the newer Vespa not that much more expensive than the almost forty-fifty years old ones your friends are selling.

with less coolness points for vintage though....

7. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

Perhaps you don't know what you are talking about either, Prong.

What is (a) Prong? [​IMG]

8. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Unless I am very much deceived, slang for prick. At least it is in my circles. Unfortunate that it is cheap and easy to be offensive; the only cost is bearing the odium, which is usually lost on the perpetrator anyways.

Regards,
    Huntsman

9. Tokyo Slim

I've been called worse...

10. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

Unless I am very much deceived, slang for prick. At least it is in my circles. Unfortunate that it is cheap and easy to be offensive; the only cost is bearing the odium, which is usually lost on the perpetrator anyways.

Regards,
    Huntsman

Yes, that sounds like Nonk.

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I can't believe anyone rides a vespa in NYC...seems like suicide

obviously I am into them, coming from a scene that bases its "image" on vespas/lambrettas. most of my friends growing up were in scooter clubs and we were all into that stuff. Some of my 'grup' friends still have their Lambretta TV200s or Vespa P200s.

I think the new ones are cool...but if I were to get another scooter I'd get the Stella. It is modern but is styled just like an old vespa. Supposedly they will be CA emissions legal by this summer and are much cheaper than the ET4. But I'd be a bit nervous about riding in my 'hood as there are many stereotypically bad asian drivers.

the Stella. looks like a P200

[​IMG]

12. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

riding one in LA seems even crazier Jason!

13. mylesmyles

mylesmyles Well-Known Member

i'm rather fond of the stella - in fact they are rather popular in the metro ny area for the very reason you mentioned - classic look with modern mechanics - which is why the vespa px150 is also popular - and although they are not legal in CA alot of the "purist's" seem to be fans.

as for driving in the city - it's really not that bad - just have to watch out for the potholes, and the taxies, and the SUV's, and the people on their cell phones, and the busses, and the bicylce delivery guys going the wrong way down one way streets, and.............well you get the idea

14. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

If I lived in the city, I'd have to go with one of these:

[​IMG]

A street legal supermoto bike (This one does not have the lights/blinkers/plates installed at the moment.) FUN!!!

15. linux_pro

linux_pro Well-Known Member

Oh man, now yer talkin! I've been thinking a lot lately about buying a motorcycle or scooter (I live right downtown, so I don't need a car. Plus, insurance and parking for a car in my city run about $400/mo. combined).

It'd be a blast to drive around one of those moto bikes, tho. We used to drive our dirt-bikes on the street when I was a kid, and they were definitely not street-legal, but they sure were a blast.

16. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

Yep, with that suspension, you'd be able to go literally anywhere in the city [​IMG]

17. linux_pro

linux_pro Well-Known Member

I've made the jump and decided to buy a Triumph SpeedMaster or America. Very nice bike, went out for a test drive this weekend and it was so much fun I almost bought the bike right there. I love motorcycles, and I don't think people who ride them are homos. The leather-clad frat-boy crotchrocket pack are the obvious exception, and I'd have to agree they look rather gay riding around like that. It's almost as if they fell in love with Tom Cruise in Top Gun, and now they want to be just like him. Anyway... I think the most [deleted] transportation is definitely those stupid Hummers. People who drive those are complete idiots, and everytime I see one, I want to kill the driver.

18. Outrigger

Outrigger Member

the Stella. looks like a P200

[​IMG]

Is the Stella a re badged Vespa, or are they made under licence in the U.S.? I started out on a Vespa Primivera.[​IMG]
    Then had a P150X, and Spanish Lambretta Jet 200.

Some picks here of friends scooters.http://petealfiebailey.biz/scooters

19. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member