1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Why don't people at SF like Hugo Boss?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bentley, May 22, 2010.

1. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

is it just me or is it that the ones who have a low number of postings defend hugo boss and say it's not too bad while the ones that have higher post counts hate on that brand... spending time on here can really change your perspective. haha just an observation.

Im one of those that says not too bad on Hugo Boss - what other mass produced labels are actually much better? Of course, in proper context, Hugo Boss belongs to the uninformed masses whom would not know a good suit if it slapped them in the face. The same could be written about any other label - i.e. how could someone justify calling Armani/Prada/Gucci/Dolce etc good but Hugo bad? All these labels exist only because it is expected that the average middle class person will rush out and purchase numerous items from these labels with their sense of judgement turned off. Once you turn on common sense you could easily, for the same money, purchase items that are far more well constructed and "timeless" - i.e. choose between Prada cashmere or Cucinelli cashmere sweater priced at the same point: The average person would purchase Prada 99% of the time, the wise person would rebel against this concept and purchase the much better Cucinelli version.

We are all rebels I guess on this forum - if we were not rebels we would love anything brand name associated.

2. ebmk3891

ebmk3891 Well-Known Member

It's called brainwashing [​IMG]

I'm somewhere in between though. For my budget, I can get their black/red label slim fit shirts at Century 21 for $50 and they fit very well for OTR.

is it just me or is it that the ones who have a low number of postings defend hugo boss and say it's not too bad while the ones that have higher post counts hate on that brand... spending time on here can really change your perspective. haha just an observation.

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

youre very unobservant then. im known to defend and promote brands and certain items that sf groupthink deems as bad. but i also know what fits well and what is not worth its price. i dont care what the groupthink on hugo boss is, but i dont like its fit. fit is most important criteria to me.
    but at the same time i defend diesel, abercrombie, dolce gabbana and a whole slew of other things here. so no, youre wrong.

would you place THEORY on the same level as hugo boss? they are similar priced at the department stores... have similar styling
    are they about the same in quality and workmanship as well?
    better? worse?

theory is a good brand for filler items. for main pieces they are too expensive for what you get. has better fit than hugo boss, however to obtain that fit, you have to wear theory a bit on the snug side.

4. changy

changy Well-Known Member

5. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

6. coreyaugustus

coreyaugustus Active Member

I like Hugo. They're clean, but not boring. Contemporary without being arty-farty. Suits are great for everyday wear to the office, though the shirts aren't made as well as I like.

And who freaking cares if they made unis for the Nazis? The Nazis, despite their apparent flaws, looked a damn sight better in full dress than many other armies.

The Italians might have looked better but we'll never know. The generals all drove Alfas which inevitably broke down on the way to nearly any event.

7. RLP

RLP Well-Known Member

i find hugo overpriced for cheap material that money can buy other essential wears

8. skrimp

skrimp Member

At <350 each, I own 2 HB suits and love their fit on me and would consider buying more if I found them at a similar price. Anything over 400 is too much for HB, but then again I've never had trouble finding them in the 300s at places like Nordstrom Rack or Off Saks Fifth.

I don't get how people can disparage the fit of brands like HB, when more than likely it's their body type which doesn't compliment that brand. Even though I'd never buy a Hickey or Canali or any Brooks Brothers suit because the style doesn't seem to compliment my body, I'd never make a blanket statement that those brands had a terrible fit.

9. Topgoon

Topgoon Active Member

Some of the Boss Selection ties I've been eyeing look quite good... because they essentially just copied many of Tom Ford designs and reduced the loudness.

They definitely lack the volume, luster and quality that Ford ties have, but I think they might make a good "skinnier" alternative.

Anyone have experiences with these ties? Might pick up a few if the price is right

10. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Personally ... I don't cotton to four-letter words.

11. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Well-Known Member

I was xMas shopping for a friend's 5 years old son and saw that they have slim fit clothing for kids. [​IMG]

But I bought them anyway [​IMG]