1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Why does everyone in NYC wear dark or black coats

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stillerfan07, Feb 14, 2011.

1. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Well-Known Member

There is a lot of overthinking going on here.

NYC is in the north, San Francisco is not. NYC is cold right now, and people are bundling up. Winter weather comes with less sunshine, and darker colours feel appropriate. San Francisco is both warmer and sunnier, so people are more likely to be wearing lighter coats (which are of themselves more likely to be colorful than the basic [dark] wool overcoats ubiquitous in northern climes) and more likely to feel comfortable wearing brighter colours.

2. alphaO888

alphaO888 Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are not from NYC so you came as a tourist. This means you most likely came during tourist season which is the winter time. Everyone wears dark jackets in NYC during the winter months because it just makes more sense. If you're interested in seeing spring colors and pastels you can either go to California or come back in the summer.

3. stillerfan07

stillerfan07 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

90% of people move to NY merely to spend all of their disposable income on clothes and outfits and accessories to be seen in while walking around the block of their 300 sq/ft studio apartment. Half of this forum would fit in perfectly.

4. Lane

Lane Well-Known Member

90% of people move to NY merely to spend all of their disposable income on clothes and outfits and accessories to be seen in while walking around the block of their 300 sq/ft studio apartment. Half of this forum would fit in perfectly.

as opposed to living in expensive houses, while going outside in sweats and new balance sneakers? Don't see how either of these are preferable, but they are merely an example of different cultures in various demographic regions.

5. Will C.

Will C. Well-Known Member

Funny. Poorly dressed, angry San Franciscans strike me as wearing more than their share of black clothing.

New York? It's the combined weight of climate, business culture, a strong 24 hour / nightlife culture, punk rock / Hasidim style, ...

and I agree with the above, there are plenty of other tones to be seen after winter.

And remember Tom Wolfe was seen everywhere in New York in his white suits. The exception that proves the rule? Maybe.

6. Sonny58

Sonny58 Well-Known Member

I think it partly has to do with the neighborhood. For example, I find the folks living downtown (SOHO, Tribeca, the financial district) tend to rely on black in their wardrobes more than say the upper west siders. For those folks black seems to be the way to stand out though. I think it's viewed as edgy and sophisticated.

7. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

A few days ago I was talking to a girl that moved to New York while we were waiting at the gate in the airport and I asked her what she did. She said she "worked in the fashion industry." After a few more questions, I learned that "working in the industry" means working in Human Resources at Century 21. That's basically everything you need to know about New York's sub-thirty populace. Her coat was gray though, so my thesis is still under construction.

8. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

I hate New York City, it's cold and it's damp...and all the people dress like monkeys.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

For me LA is merely a cesspool of superficial dreck.
    No more, no less

9. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Well-Known Member

It's the combined weight of climate, business culture, a strong 24 hour / nightlife culture, punk rock / Hasidim style, ...
    Climate, sure. (But that doesn't actually have anything to do with coloration.) Business culture, fine. Nightlife culture, I guess we can stretch that to make sense. Punk rock, if you wanna. But when you say the black robes of orthodox judaism are an influence on the charcoal-to-ebony spectrum of NYC winter outerwear I have to call brazen, egregious bullshit. Please tell me I'm misunderstanding.

10. Will C.

Will C. Well-Known Member

Climate, sure. (But that doesn't actually have anything to do with coloration.)
    Business culture, fine.
    Nightlife culture, I guess we can stretch that to make sense.
    Punk rock, if you wanna.

But when you say the black robes of orthodox judaism are an influence on the charcoal-to-ebony spectrum of NYC winter outerwear I have to call brazen, egregious bullshit.

Please tell me I'm misunderstanding.

Influence, no, but Hasidim are a presence in NY, so their subfusc attire adds fractionally to the sum total of NY's sombre spectrum.

Why so serious?

11. landshark

landshark Well-Known Member

Men look good in dark colors.

12. Mr. White

Mr. White Well-Known Member

For me LA is merely a cesspool of superficial dreck.
    No more, no less

The word is "shithole." LA is a post-industrial shit hole that some scantily-dressed painted lady is reaching into to find her lost jewelry.

There is a lot of overthinking going on here.

NYC is in the north, San Francisco is not. NYC is cold right now, and people are bundling up. Winter weather comes with less sunshine, and darker colours feel appropriate. San Francisco is both warmer and sunnier, so people are more likely to be wearing lighter coats (which are of themselves more likely to be colorful than the basic [dark] wool overcoats ubiquitous in northern climes) and more likely to feel comfortable wearing brighter colours.

I see a lot of peacoats in San Fran. It's not so much the cold -- it's not really that cold there. It's the wish to be cold. They built row houses and a subway for the same reason.

13. tim_horton

tim_horton Well-Known Member

I'm from New York but love SF and LA, I always have a blast when I visit and could easily see having a great time living there.

Florida... Not so much. [​IMG]

I honestly think this ubiquity of black coats is a bit of an exaggeration. I think the percentage may be higher than what's normal for Styleforum. But black is the color of nightlife and that's a big part of NYC culture.

FWIW my overcoats/raincoats are either navy or charcoal, except for a black Nike Goretex jacket that is the shit.

14. Sazerac

Sazerac Well-Known Member

Pssh, I can. Summer in the city is disgustingly hot, and dirty. Impossible to feel clean or look good.

I'm always amazed that more people don't die while waiting for the train.

But walking in the summer isn't much better. I would leave work and by the time I had walked a mere mile and a half back to my apartment, I needed a shower.

Bu the summer dresses...my God. I lived for that first day of spring when all the women in the city decided to wear them.

15. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Well-Known Member

I think if you like dark colors, or black in particular you can look 100 times better by just wearing charcoal over straight black.

+10000

-LR

16. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Well-Known Member

FTFY. But I'm from Florida, not Ohio.

The panhandle that is.