1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Why does everyone here dislike "high-end" brands?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr Engineer, Aug 22, 2012.

1. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

I certainly see a lot of that here. So I do steer well clear of the brands that the OP mentions..

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  2. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Where did you find that piece? Taobao?

"LOUVIS".. not seen that variant before though. Louvis by Louis Vuitton, probably a diffusion line.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  3. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Hugo Boss suits are fused. The same construction you find at a $150 cheapo suit. In terms of how well that suit is made, there really isn't that much difference from the bottom of the barrel, they just price it a lot higher. The top end suits everybody loves around here are made from VERY nice fabrics and are made with full canvas construction- a much better way of building a suit. More durable, gives a better shape to the suit, and just much better made across the board. It's also much more labor intensive, and thus a lot more expensive.

There's really nothing wrong with a fused suit- the technology to make them has gotten a lot better, and obvious issues like bubbling are pretty much a thing of the past. But a fused suit is not worth $800 when you can get half canvassed (or even from a few limited made to measure places, fully canvassed) suits for half of that.

Hugo Boss doesn't just neglect the small details. They cheap out on much more central elements.

4. dreamspace

dreamspace Well-Known Member

Hugo Boss was just the first company that popped up in my mind, there's dozens of other makers and brands that get the same ol' "You pay xx% for the name", "They're way too expensive, you're being overcharged". Like most of the big fashion houses.

On the other hand, some suitmakers (albeit extremely good suitmakers) can charge whatever they want and never get called out on it. What I'm trying to say is; the same people that rag down on Fashion brands for over-pricing their stuff, are the same people that will defend their favorite (over-priced) boutique brands. Of course, you get quality, but paying 8k$ for some OTR suit (that probably cost 2k$ to produce) is still over-pricing. Tom Ford is one brand that always seems to get that free-card around here.

5. add911_11

add911_11 Well-Known Member

I hate fashion brands, love luxuary brands

6. papa kot

papa kot Well-Known Member

I do not care much for "high end" brands, for several reasons:

1. Many of them produce gaudy designs and this goes against my main principle: Luxury should be sophisticated but underexposed.
    2. Bang for a buck is not there; you pay for the name.
    3. Many are brands are willing to sacrifice exclusivity in favor of broader market. This is especially true for many companies that are publicly traded, as investors will constantly seek to maximize the short term ROI.

Plus, once you get into premium territory you can't really justify spending money on something that is not made exclusively for you.

7. jeff13007

jeff13007 Well-Known Member

I think you are comparing apples to oranges here. Most of the people that i have seen who shit on luxury brands mostly use the "you can get (insert random 3rd world country) Bespoke for half the price/its fused and will catch on fire after the first dry cleaning arguments. While most of the people who defend Brioni, Attolini, Kiton, Tom Ford, Zegna couture etc are people trying to say that High end RTW should not be looked down upon just because it is "RTW".

8. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Well-Known Member

I purchase Hugo Boss at the outlet. Most of my money is spent on ties and shoes though

9. Calder

Calder Well-Known Member

I dislike LV because it's plastered with "LV" logos.

1 person likes this.
  10. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Well-Known Member

Not enough footnotes for David Foster Wallace. Also, he would footnote the footnotes.

11. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

For the hard-core brand whores at $68 a pop:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  12. Calder

Calder Well-Known Member

Pop is *not* a word I want to hear associated with condoms, ever

13. morrison13

morrison13 Well-Known Member

I don't think they dislike the high-end brands, maybe they simply have more options to choose from for a lesser price but of equal quality with those brands.

14. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

Nobody here dislikes 'high-end' brands. What we dislike are overpriced brands, with high-end prices and low-end quality

1 person likes this.
  15. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Well-Known Member

16. Svenn

Svenn Well-Known Member

Part of the reason is that brands of any type aren't bespoke, and for articles where 'fit' is paramount to aesthetics, such as suits, shoes, shirts, and maybe ties, a custom fit both looks best and gives the freedom to play with our own creativity; something RTW (or MTM) brands dont offer. Accessories are free to be high-end brands, if made well.

The conspicuousness of logos is a separate issue. Generally, displaying logos in what is known as businesswear isn't classy, since it both indicates an insecure desire to look wealthy while simultaneously representing you didn't have the taste to get it custom-made. Security is best displayed by humility (...unless you're Persian). That being said, one doesn't always want to look wise and sometimes it's fun to appeal to the masses, or uninformed females, by wearing designer cufflinks, sunglasses, or bags (or underwear)... again, all accessories.

17. Lord Mulberry

Lord Mulberry Well-Known Member

Yeah something like that. Most high-end brands are off the peg suits/clothes and the chances are they're not going to fit correctly. You can see a local tailor, tell him what you want and get want you want for much less than buying a top branded suit.* That way you are not dictated to by clothing manufacturers and you get freedom of choice. With a big brand all you're paying for really in the name; it doesn't mean to say it's a good suit.

* I say that because I've never had a suit made yet which I am 100% completely happy with, though most shape up pretty well. It's generally minor things like the type of stiching on the button holes, button spacing etc.

18. AlexE

AlexE Well-Known Member

Not so sure that I agree with this (and similar) generalized statements. There are way too many "critique my MTM / bespoke suit" threads out there, which proof that MTM / bespoke can look much worse than RTW.

A better statement is, that you can achieve the best possible fit only with bespoke, but there is no guarantee that every single bespoke project will look good. Indeed it requires a lot of investment in time and money to get a high probability of a satisfactory outcome. Of course, once you and your tailor pinned it down, it looks and feels fantastic.

19. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

Yes, MTM and bespoke is indeed a process, and first projects aren't guaranteed to look good; they could even be a huge disaster. But in the long run I think it's worth it... it's not only the fit. It's also the satisfaction of owning a garment that has been cut and made for you, and (in the case of bespoke) has been made by hand by an experienced craftsman, and is in itself a work of art. A lot of people here, including me, have huge appreciation for such things.

20. Geezer

Geezer Well-Known Member

This forum loves high-end brands. Most SR/Rome/Napoli tailors. Lots of shirtmakers. Drake's. Lobb/EG/G&G. Etc. Where else on the internet can you find people discussing hand-welted shoes, or the benefits of suits hand-stitched by chain-smoking cockneys in basement workshops? (OK, the London Lounge, but beyond that?)

This forum has a high tolerance for, for example, Hermes and even LV leather goods. Though it prefers Charvet ties and PSes. But it is not opposed to the well-known and well-advertised.

But this forum has a low tolerance for things sold at premium prices on their brand name on the back of expensive ad campaigns rather than on their inherent quality or aesthetic value, while similar non-branded items are available at a fraction of the cost.

2 people like this.