• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why does eating an apple make me MORE hungry?

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
from a physiology standpoint it would make sense to eat an apple then go for a walk/exercise. because then you'd pull that blood that was going to the GI tract back to the muscles and slow down the metabolic process theoretically making you less hungry.
I like this suggestion.
this is a phenomena of people who work out in the morning (even heavily like running 5 miles) on an empty stomach (right after waking up). you start out hungry but then actually can finish the workout and not feel hungry afterwards. (current trends actually have coaches/trainers force feeding minutes after working out - to avoid drastic swings in appetite).
I always assumed it was the opposite; that exercise usually results in an increased appetite. Are you talking about immediately after a workout?

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sugar, like most carbs, spikes insulin.

So you eat a bunch of sugar, your insulin goes up, drives the sugar out of your bloodstream into cells (usually fat cells, but also liver and muscle), and then your brain, perceiving low blood sugar, signals that it is hungry even though you just ate.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
I always assumed it was the opposite; that exercise usually results in an increased appetite. Are you talking about immediately after a workout?

I was talking about how even during a prolonged fasting state (right after you wake up) some people work out empty stomached and don't feel hungry during and after (for about 1-2hours) the workout.

there will be a drastic rebound and increased appetite eventually (detrimentally voracious in some cases lol)... but its weird to think that some are actually not hungry after a prolonged fast + workout.

There are performance decrease variables on working out heavily on an empty stomach, but there is some interesting advantageous hormonal aspects with weight loss theories (paired with a caloric deficit of course).

plus you have to take into effect the mental aspects of working out (or even functioning on a regular level) empty stomached.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's only ~14g of sugar in an apple, that'll lead to a fairly small amount of insulin production. Fructose causes a slower insulin response than glucose or sucrose, so that insulin production will be spread out over a period of time. I'd say you'd have about double your basal insulin secretion over a half hour or so, which is not all that much. It's fairly unlikely that this minor, spread out insulin response will lead to hunger. The other factors are much more likely to be the cause.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all this is well and fine but in my experience there is no other fruit that has this effect of increasing hunger. Banana, orange, mango, pineapple, kiwi, pear, melon, etc.

When I am hungry and eat any of the latter, 20 minutes later I am less hungry. If I eat an apple, 20 minutes later I am more hungry.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
all this is well and fine but in my experience there is no other fruit that has this effect of increasing hunger. Banana, orange, mango, pineapple, kiwi, pear, melon, etc. When I am hungry and eat any of the latter, 20 minutes later I am less hungry. If I eat an apple, 20 minutes later I am more hungry.
then you're a special snowflake...
teacha.gif
its probably much gas you create with apples specifically. so with apples your GI / intestines are more stressed due to the increased gas volume, increased peristalsis - hunger pangs after you start passing/burping gas. we all have special hunger reactions to specific foods. For me its nuts... if i eat a hand full of almonds/peanuts I get super hungry after 20min. it pisses me off, because nuts are supposed to make you feel full, but I get hungry as hell after some pistachios.

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ummm duh...you should eat like fried pork chops and potatoes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads