1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

why do you guys hate designs?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by blackplatano, Jul 16, 2006.

1. sbbbjm

sbbbjm Well-Known Member

yeah, i knew it was something like that. i think most of the designer sunglasses i.e. gucci, fendi, chanel etc are under one of those groups. i mean rayban isn't even made by bausch & lomb anymore. i think they're luxoticca

2. minya

minya Well-Known Member

That said, I'm more into fit than construction or brand impression. I have plenty of gear that is poorer quality and zero brand recognition that i love and wear often because it fits so damn well.
    you make a very good point, and in some ways, I agree with you completely.

However, personally I feel that if I'm spending a lot of money on something (and I, along with pretty much all of the rest of us here, spend outrageous amounts of money on clothing) it should be made impeccably, or at least close to impeccably. If carelessness in construction or production is blatant or apparent, I'm much less inclined to buy it.

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

Yes, those are whom I refer to when I said "consumer masses". I find it distasteful when people have to proclaim how "high-end" their clothing is.

As opposed to proclaiming what clothing you recently purchased on a high-end clothing forum?

4. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Well-Known Member

As opposed to proclaiming what clothing you recently purchased on a high-end clothing forum?
    Pretty much everyone on this board is a brand whore. The brands are just different: you just need to count how many people are jumping on the bandwagon and buying edward green shoes.

!luc

5. drizzt3117

Pretty much everyone on this board is a brand whore. The brands are just different: you just need to count how many people are jumping on the bandwagon and buying edward green shoes.

!luc

I agree, my point is there isn't much (if any) difference between fishing for compliments in real life and fishing for compliments on an online forum.

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

However, personally I feel that if I'm spending a lot of money on something (and I, along with pretty much all of the rest of us here, spend outrageous amounts of money on clothing) it should be made impeccably, or at least close to impeccably. If carelessness in construction or production is blatant or apparent, I'm much less inclined to buy it.

yea, when I'm dropping stupid cash on an item, it better be made consistent to the level of the pricing.

7. DGP

DGP Well-Known Member

FYI the scribble yall keep referring to is actually a cursive letter 'V' in the word seven. citizens is similar but they use a cursive 'Z'

I always thought the thing on the back of Citizens was an "h" scribbled.

8. alexpham

alexpham Well-Known Member

I think you should give most people are break. Most people do not know how to spot the finer points that would indicate better construction, such as functioning buttonholes on a jacket. If they do not read fashion magazines extensively or log on to internet forums such as this one, they do not have much information to go on when shopping except what they see around them. And what they see around them is Seven, True Religion, and Citizens of Humanity. So I don't blame them for choosing those brands at all. I think for a lot of people, many men in particular, shopping can be a very intimidating experience. There is such an overwhelming selection that if you don't know how to pick between the brands, you go for the ones that you see other people wear because you are at least comfortable with the fact that you can recognize the name. And in the absence of other knowledge, price can sometimes be a good indication of quality because most of the time, quality goes up as price goes up. I think that may be why people ask how much your jeans cost or how much your suit costs, they do not know more obscure brands such as APC, Nudie, Gianluca Isaia, so they have to look at the price to estimate the overall quality of the garment.

If they had a resource like this forum, I believe that many of the people that we label as "American Jackass", the type that only go after the latest labels and the highest price tags, would be more open to suggestion about other brands and "construction qualities" but until then they have to make due with the imperfect information that comes at them through the media and their own social circles.

9. drizzt3117

I think you should give most people are break. Most people do not know how to spot the finer points that would indicate better construction, such as functioning buttonholes on a jacket. If they do not read fashion magazines extensively or log on to internet forums such as this one, they do not have much information to go on when shopping except what they see around them. And what they see around them is Seven, True Religion, and Citizens of Humanity. So I don't blame them for choosing those brands at all. I think for a lot of people, many men in particular, shopping can be a very intimidating experience. There is such an overwhelming selection that if you don't know how to pick between the brands, you go for the ones that you see other people wear because you are at least comfortable with the fact that you can recognize the name. And in the absence of other knowledge, price can sometimes be a good indication of quality because most of the time, quality goes up as price goes up. I think that may be why people ask how much your jeans cost or how much your suit costs, they do not know more obscure brands such as APC, Nudie, Gianluca Isaia, so they have to look at the price to estimate the overall quality of the garment.

If they had a resource like this forum, I believe that many of the people that we label as "American Jackass", the type that only go after the latest labels and the highest price tags, would be more open to suggestion about other brands and "construction qualities" but until then they have to make due with the imperfect information that comes at them through the media and their own social circles.

That and the fact that fashion magazines are going to lead them to the trendy labels that we were just discussing.

10. JoMak_NYC

JoMak_NYC Well-Known Member

By a show of hands who here has a pair/pairs of said hated jeans? Be honest now. If you have tons of Nudies and APCs in your wardrobe but you also have a pair of TR's or Sevens or *insert other hated brand here* that you just can't help but to wear - raise your hand. Or -- once you became 'construction concious' you burned all your inferior denim in a ritualistic bonfire ceremony?

Speak up!!

11. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Well-Known Member

My name is Saucemaster, and I have a pair of Sevens.

12. JoMak_NYC

My name is Saucemaster, and I have a pair of Sevens.

HI SAUCEMASTER!!!

13. JoMak_NYC

What sayeth the SFers about FCUK jeans?

14. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

By a show of hands who here has a pair/pairs of said hated jeans? Be honest now. If you have tons of Nudies and APCs in your wardrobe but you also have a pair of TR's or Sevens or *insert other hated brand here* that you just can't help but to wear - raise your hand. Or -- once you became 'construction concious' you burned all your inferior denim in a ritualistic bonfire ceremony? Speak up!!
    The closest jeans I have are Diesels (no crazy distress), and a pair of PDC. They all have very subtle branding (a litte D on the rear pocket for Diesel, and a fine J stitch line for PDC). My clothes are for the most part logo-free, with the exception of Lacoste, Polo and Brooks Brothers polo shirts. Nobody has ever been able to figure out what brands I was wearing when they asked me (except the polo shirts and Levi's jeans), and that's the way I want it. I still wear the Diesels because the particular model I own fits well, and are well constructed garments (at least those from a few years ago). PDC, for the most part, has been relegated to the back of the closet because I mostly haven't got around to wear them.

15. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

By a show of hands who here has a pair/pairs of said hated jeans? Be honest now. If you have tons of Nudies and APCs in your wardrobe but you also have a pair of TR's or Sevens or *insert other hated brand here* that you just can't help but to wear - raise your hand. Or -- once you became 'construction concious' you burned all your inferior denim in a ritualistic bonfire ceremony?

Speak up!!

I have a pair of Sevens. They fit well, the wash is ok, and they haven't worn out yet, so I have no problem wearing them.

16. drizzt3117

I own a pretty broad spectrum of jeans including 3-4 pairs of Sevens, some PDCs, nudies, LVCs, Earnest Sewn and others, I can find a place in my wardrobe for several different types of denim.

17. jet

jet Well-Known Member

You shouldn't have to refer to anything when choosing jeans just use your eyes and taste.

18. drizzt3117

You shouldn't have to refer to anything when choosing jeans just use your eyes and taste.

Availability plays a part as well.

19. cultpop 0217

cultpop 0217 Well-Known Member

i have two pairs of diesels.
    one is a rabox in a undistressed resin wash with brown weft. i wore them for three years constantly and the construction is top notch for the price(and considering i picked them up for $70 they were a bargain). only in the last 6 months did the crotch finally give out (i've since repaired it).
    the other pair was a pair of x-rotuck (very low rise flares) in the ridiculously common 772 wash that i picked up at the diesel flagship in chicago. this pair was used to facilitate the unleashing of my inner glam rock star. i even sewed a bowie patch on them. i retired them about a year ago after about 18 months of regular wear. they have never seen water and have been febreezed ad nasueum. the 772s are due for ebay but ill never get rid of my treasured rabox. ive had a few other pairs of diesels over the years and a pair of AGs from the first season that i gave to my gf. never had any seven, pdc (was never impressed) true gimmick or the like. ive always favored tight old levis.

20. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Availability plays a part as well.

It helps when you know one of the owners of revolve too [​IMG]