1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Why do people hate on the preppy look?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by dustin_hisle1, Jul 31, 2011.

1. dustin_hisle1

dustin_hisle1 Active Member

I see that alot of people here do not like the preppy look. Why not though? Every man walking the streets is wearing khaki chinos and a polo. Why not stand out a little bit? I don't find anything wrong with shorts that have 5 inch inseams, Nantucket reds, Sperry's and the traditional "frat boy" look.

2. dtmt

dtmt Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  3. dinogj

dinogj Well-Known Member

its not that people dont like it, its just that the average person does preppy in such a garish way that its impossible to even classify it as "real prep"

Prep fashion started out as a way to say "fuck you" through conservative clothing at preparatory schools. Go see the book "Take Ivy" to see how real prep is done.
    Vinyard vines, southern tide....its all shit cloths that fit like a tent. It appeals to white folk and frat boys the same way ed hardy appeals to insecure 40 year old dudes and guidos.

That being said "the preppy look" can look amazing if its done right. Preppy will never look good on fatties or skeletons, gotta be athletic. Those 5 inch inseams are for showing off your quads and hamstrings.

most people who try it look like clowns.

4. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

because looking like an entitled racist white person is like the worst thing ever?

5. Hollywars

Hollywars Well-Known Member

As much as I think it's cool, I have to agree with Uncontrol. The whole prep thing has a history of generally being associated with assholes. Anyone who is rocking the prep look can probably do better. Shit is also way played out.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  6. dustin_hisle1

Well I do know that preps come from money. But I mean so did I. I attended private school all throughout my life. We vacationed on Nantucket. I mean we originated from the New England area. I have always dressed like this. As long as I can remember my parents putting me in clothes.

7. thatguymj

thatguymj Well-Known Member

I prefer the 'prep with a twist' type looks that BoO, Thom Browne, even Junya do that makes something old and stuffy look much fresher and young.KJissi has a great take on a more urban style of prep. I grew up in the whole preppy county club area so I always borrowed from it going through all stages of dress. I do agree it can look bad, as well documented above with the clown in his dads clothes but I do think when its done with a persons own style mixed in, its a very clean look.

8. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I don't think you know what you are talking about if you interchange "preppy" with "frat boy look".

9. dustin_hisle1

How do they differ so much on appearance? I'm not trying to be rude. I myself, do not know how they really differ.

10. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

If you have to ask the question then everything you have said so far is bullshit.

Jerome? Is that you?

11. mike868y

mike868y Well-Known Member

you are the type of douchebag the prep look is associated with, so you might as well dress like one.

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Well I do know that Nazis come from racial supremacy and fascism . But I mean so did I. I attended Hitler youth all throughout my life. We vacationed in occupied France. I mean we originated from the Ruhr area. I have always dressed like this. As long as I can remember my parents or the people at the lebensborn putting me in SS uniforms.

13. dustin_hisle1

You guys seem like uptight old men. Not trying to be rude. I just asked a simple question. "What is wrong with the preppy look?" Also, just because I said I came from money doesn't make me a douche bag. Who are you to have the right to judge me?

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

You guys seem like uptight old jews. Not trying to be rude. I just asked a simple question. "What is wrong with the Nazi look?" Also, just because I said I came from pure Aryan blood doesn't make me a deutsch bag. Who are you to have the right to judge me?

2 people like this.
  15. LUBE UP

LUBE UP Active Member

I like the 'prep' summer look mostly because I can't be arsed to dress up most of the time and polo + shorts + boat shoes makes me pretty hard to get a bad combination of colours or silhouette. It's a lot harder to pick a nice top when wearing a nice pair of jeans and dressy/semi-dressy shoes and not ruin the lines in comparison..

Also where I come from the weather is like 30 degrees celsius with a RH around 90% so its uncomfortable as fuck wearing chinos/jeans if you're going to be outside most of the time.

16. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Truth is most people here don't really hate the preppy look and many integrate some elements of it, either in the MC or SWD forum. I don't like it myself, for a combination of aesthetic and associative reasons but I've explained it before and, really, who cares. I don't see the point of this thread when we have some popular ones on booat shoes, shorts, JCrew, whatever and MCer who dress like that on the weekend.

17. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Well-Known Member

lol at fuuma and lol at anybody feeling the need to bring up money/school/nantucket on an internet forum to justify anything in the first place.

Also, fuuma, from the latest Harper's index:

Average percentage by which the French overestimate the Jewish population of France: 655
    Percentage of French people who call themselves "somewhat or a little bit" racist: 13

haha

18. Another New Yorker

Another New Yorker Well-Known Member

Depends on what place's frat boys. If you're talking about your average low tier fraternity at Penn State or Iowa, then yes. Preppy has no similarity with flatbill hats and baggy basketball shorts. If you're talking about Washington and lee, Hampdon Sydney, UVA, and the SEC's fraternities, they are very similar to New England with a few differences--notably the love of New Balance 993s, Pocket t's, and hate of popped collars.

19. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Maybe but there are around 700K Jews in France (AFAIK) which is ginormous compared to the rest of Western Europe. Oh and the racism=them arabs. Antisemitism is a lot more marginal but the outbreaks are quite virulent (much higher % of violent acts vs discrimination than against other groups). This special interest minute was a presentation of the CE forum where bigotry and misinformation is revered.

20. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Well-Known Member

Yeah I totally understand, I just almost always like the way the Index is presented, it's usually pretty funny and this thread just reminded me of that bit from the latest one so I figured I would throw it out there. Of course it's misleading to present it like the racism bit has anything to do with Jewish people but it's still an entertaining bit of trivia